Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Weird photo - Mercury with bubble top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huffreport, Mar 9, 2018.

1. huffreport

huffreport

IMG_9390.JPG Here's a really weird photo I bought this week... I've never seen a bubble top on a late 40s convertible, but I have seen similar tops on early Corvettes. Does anyone know anything about who made these?

Graystoke, Squablow, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It is a clear top that is in the shape of a Carson top. The car still has it`s original windshield and posts. The guy tried to sell them.

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be qreat conversation at the cruise night...lots of beautiful sun and no messin the hairdo...:D...bubbles aside...is it normal or are those the worst fitting skirts I've ever seen...o_O

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/...lexiglas-is-tops-–-automotive-style-that-is…/

5_48MercPlexiglasTop.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018

4. huffreport

huffreport

WOW!!! Thank you for sharing that.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hamb is an incredible platform in itself but there are other sites that totally round out the whole experience. Together we bring stuff to the table and discover what it all meant. Lots of innovation went on back in the day and many succeeded where others failed. Some of the failures reappeared as successes at a later time. Its all very interesting. That's a great photo @huffreport thanks for sharing.

As for bubbletop connections to Hotrodding and Customizing there are many that had their roots in things such as the image you have shown. I suppose that may be connected to aviation in origin.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a hot Texas summer you would have to have someone along to baste you on a road trip. That would be a real oven inside.

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

agreed

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hence the demise of the full Bubbletop to T-roofs and Sunroofs now with Solid Caps to block UV rays and heat. And of course AC. The Custom/Hotrod influence will never really fade away however and I'm cool with that...:confused::D

9. Fordors

Fordors

Here are scans from Ford Life Magazine, July- August 1972. Scan_0052.jpg Scan_0053.jpg

kadillackid, stanlow69, pat59 and 5 others like this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

Here is scan of article- Scan_0057.jpg Scan_0058.jpg Scan_0059.jpg

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Fordors I was just gonna read the story and it was gone now its back yay...

12. Fordors

Fordors

Scan_0054.jpg Scan_0061.jpg Scan_0062.jpg

Ford Life was only published for 22 issues, it was a great resource of informative articles.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Stogy, I think the fender skirts were from JC Whitney, they were hinged at the top so you can fold them up for a pick nick table or to set your favorite beverage on. Went over about as good as the bubble top.......................................................

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  14. To find one sitting NOS in a crate someplace.....
    It would then be time to build a car around (under) it.

Stogy, Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2018-3-10_23-12-30.png
    I like to concept of being toasted as you drive. Damn it would be hot and the glare!
    upload_2018-3-10_23-16-8.png
    The fit is a bit off, I thought I was seeing things in original post but this confirms it and the gap between glass edge and top. Roof shape behind 1/4 windows is very Austin A40ish.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Wouldn't want to pass wind in there on a hot day....

kadillackid likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

I never knew about these before. I can see how it'd be a total sweatbox, but I bet it looked cool in a rainstorm, and it's just a neat piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Top matches the fit of fender skit and rear bumper.:confused: Bob[​IMG]