Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects technical can anyone identify this distributor .

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Larry Clare, Feb 16, 2018.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Larry Clare likes this.
  2. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

3. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

OK so today I removed the crank shaft caps and found this {see Pics } there seems to be some pitting or flaking of the bearings I guess it is a good thing I didn't get it to turn the journals on the crank look great . also saw some rust abt the base of some cylinders I guess I didn't get a full rev out of it , this is the middle the front looks the same . BUMP 20180301_162841.jpg 20180301_162848.jpg

4. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

20180305_144655.jpg 20180305_144759 (2).jpg 20180305_144655.jpg 20180305_144759 (2).jpg Removed rod caps today this is how they look , notice how the caps are marked ?

5. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

6. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

How can you tell if an engine is balanced ? I have no clue , I have had engines balanced and assembled them but not sure how it was done . it made one mean 1969 318 in a short fleetside truck.

7. alchemy

alchemy

The parts (rods, crank, pistons) were kinda brought into a close tolerance at the factory on original assembly. So they would have ground spots and holes drilled in counterweights. When the engine was rebuilt any rebalance would have similar ground bosses and drilled counterweights. Hard to tell what is new or original. Only way I could think of spotting a precision balance job on the rebuild is if you spot Mallory weights added to the crank (inserts in crank counterweight holes) or a boss ground in a weird place.

Larry Clare likes this.
  8. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

thanks for the information .

9. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

Thanks I will be looking for clues . LOL

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

There doesn't happen to be more than one shock per side on your rear end or a garage door spring between the shackles out back does there?

Larry Clare likes this.
  11. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

I will take a look and let you know.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks to me the block is relieved on intake valve side only..Not a bad way and actually a later style of hp increase so as not to lower the compression more than necessary..On the exhaust stroke the exhaust is pushed out so it would be up against the head and and relieving the block doesn't do that much except for losing compression and there is still some relief on intake side..The heads may have a little relief in the combustion chambers on the exhaust side....I can't see the marks on the connecting rod caps, all the flatheads I took apart had numbers..

Larry Clare likes this.
  13. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

thanks there are notches 1 for one on the interior facing side and the outer caps are ground I don't know if it was for weight or clearance ?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  14. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

don't see anything like that but the rear suspension is really stiff barely moves when I jump on the rear bumper .

15. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

I will take a look tomorrow and let you know . thanks

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Not surprising if this was a bootlegger car. Next time you're back there, count the leaves in the rear spring pack.

Larry Clare likes this.
  17. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

springs are wrapped in pieces of metal tack welded together . front and back .

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Springs are 'wrapped', therefore stock; but if they appear to be 'thicker', could be station wagon springs.

Will you simply take a steel ruler and measure the bore diameter? This is driving me nuts.
    ...and I know what .125 means, just check for me, please?
    If you can turn the engine crankshaft, also measure how far down the top og the piston goes. This will tell which crank it has.
    If I were there, I'd put a dollar across the #2 balancer... BTW, the cam is incognito. May be a regrind, many cam grinders assembled with stock tappets.

19. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

got the crank and pistons moving coke and pepsi worked great I wouldn't have believed it . crank is definitely 4" stroke I will measure pistons tomorrow and let you know . also crank is stamped 1CM some quick searching tells me it is a mercury 4" crank.

20. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

block not relieved fooled me till I looked closer both areas around valves are tapered toward the cylinder they are not ground through .

21. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

measured bore with caliper several times since my caliper is not too high tech got 3-5/16ths

22. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

started reaming ridges today they are not deep but they are there , also they are much closer to the end of bore than I am used to and dome of piston does protrude a bit from the block.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That 3 5/16" is .125" over the standard 3 3/16". Now find a piston down all the way and measure from piston to block deck and you'll have a close approximation of the stroke. This just may be more than we thought at first:):cool:

Larry Clare likes this.
  24. Larry Clare

Larry Clare

I will check it out tomorrow and let you know