Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Rail to Remember

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 9, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Rail to Remember

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I agree, a very nice dragster for it's time.

zzford likes this.
  3. Gorgeous car.
    The lack of comments concerns me though.
    The interest in "hot rods" seems to be growing narrower (if not smaller).
    Come on guys there's a lot more to hot rodding than prewar jalopies.
    This lifestyle is too small not to appreciate all of it.
    I get it..... Hot rodding isn't racing....Racing isn't Kustomising...Kustoms aren't choppers.
    We all have our favorites but a lack of mutual support isn't gonna help to keep to keep "traditional car" culture alive in any form.

HunterYJ and zzford like this.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is one bad ass dragster. I have always wondered why there aren't any Potvin blown cars out there of any kind (cackle / nostalgia dragsters, or ... gasp... actual street cars :eek:)

5. catdad49

catdad49

Great little digger!

6. elgringo71

elgringo71

That is a Wicked Little Digger. I love the look of those old Potvins and the build quailty on this rail is top notch. I would love to see something like this make a pass at a nostalgia event today.

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I have always had a soft spot for these Front Engine cars. I had a K88 chassis that sat, since new till I bought it in 1986 and a TE440 car that had a clutchflite and SBC.

I love this, thanks.
    Cliff

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man, those guys nailed the name. I have never seen that car. I love a short dragster. I have wanted to build a Dragmaster or facsimile for years.

9. Hey Joey...if you fly in to Omaha, lemme know. I can show you around a little if you want.

10. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old Seattle had it going on!!

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-10_5-19-15.png 1959 Riverside Raceway, So Cal
    Hello,

Of course, great photos by Pete Sukalac and super nice build by the Greer Brothers. Their FED would have been right at home in So Cal during 59-60 era. Potvin FED race cars were popular in 1959. The most popular and famous racecar was the beautiful white full bodied FED by Kenny Lindley and driven by Don Hampton (Hampton Blower fame) They were in the finals of the Detroit Nationals and ripped up the So Cal tracks consistently.
    Missfire sound

NHRANUT, post: 12448412
    upload_2018-3-10_5-22-35.png

There were other Potvin Style FED race cars in So Cal during those early days. NHRANUT found a photo dated 1959 of an unusual FED. As a teenager, I filmed this yellow Hemi FED at Riverside Raceway in December of 1959. The bright yellow frame with the most unusual suspension, sitting on a red trailer was made for color films. A 671 powered Hemi was set up in a Potvin Style, but the supercharger was turned at an angle instead of the usual “sitting on its side” installation like the Greer Bros and Kenny Lindley.
    upload_2018-3-10_5-24-5.png upload_2018-3-10_5-24-17.png Greer Bros, Seattle, WA
    upload_2018-3-10_5-25-3.png
    Thanks Dean…

The yellow Potvin Style Hemi FED goes unknown to this day. (anyone know the history, owner, driver or specs?) Does that unusual front suspension work? See for yourself:

Jnaki
    upload_2018-3-10_5-30-27.png eliminations 1959

12. Goldy

Goldy

Thank you - awesome posts guys, very interesting!. My son Kenny and I are in the slow process of building a potvin blown Chrysler powered 32 ford 5 window Bonneville style AA Fuel coupe. I bought the complete potvin set up from a guy on the west coast about 40 years ago. I am glad that I did. Since then I have acquired original Potvin Tee shirts from back when . cool stuff!