Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modifying SBC 1x2 manifold into 3x2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 Aaron NZ, Feb 11, 2018.

1. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Its one of the throttle body intakes like you'd find on a pickup. Im in NY if you'd like it I'll check on shipping cost. As I said the manifold would be no cost.

2. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Joe, I just saw your photo. That won't fit, but thanks for the offer and the ideas.
    Cheers Aaron.

Sent from my SM-G360G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Aaron the one in the photo isnt the one I'm talking about I showed that one if you had vortec heads. The one I mentioned is the older tbi style that fits old style heads.

4. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

1982 Corvette Aluminum Cross Fire, unbolt top, make another!
    s-l640.jpg

6. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Thank you Joe, but I don't think access to the lower plane is as good, even tho it's Alui, I will keep playing with my manifold.
    Again Thank you for the offer.
    I have a wedding to go to this weekend so I'll start on my manifold next weekend.
    I'll keep you all up to date on 'attempted progress'
    Cheers Aaron.

7. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Cross fire intakes are hard to find in the U. S. I'm betting that finding one in New Zealand would be next to impossible.

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

There's several on E-Bay rite now, all for under 2 bills, most with free shipping. To NZ? probably not!
    Looks like his mind is made up so it' a mute point I guess....................................

XXL__ likes this.
  9. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

I don't think $200 + shipping for a Cross Fire is a good investment - another $125 for this
    [​IMG]
    an it's no work involved, however that brings it to over $500 NZ dollars, which I was trying to avoid in the first place.
    Which brings me full circle back to my original plan...

clem likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Way too much money to spend just for aesthetics adding 3x2's. A single 4 barrel will out perform 3x2's all day long for a Hell of a lot less.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Country Joe and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.
  11. And so will late model fuel injection but that's not really the point is it?

12. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Well put!
    We are getting way away from 'has any one tryed this?'
    If I can keep it duel plane like my second drawing, and it runs well, I will be really happy, and proud of it being home built.
    Thanks Aaron.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

My last suggestion (and you have probably already planned this) before any welding I would bolt the desired manifold to a SBC block and heads. Could be junk, empty & bare, just to keep the warpage at a minimum when welding.........................................................

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Nailhead Jason, 270ci and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  14. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Thanks Brigrat. That's a good plan, I have a spare SBC in my bar leaner that I can pull out and bolt it to.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again, Aaron.

15. Smiffy

Smiffy

If you really want to try something different - why don't you make a log manifold and run a few more carbs. You'll spend just as much time fabricating it as you would mucking around trying to reinvent your old two barrel manifold. Have only three carbs working on it rest for show that's what a lot of guys use to do.

16. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

I spend a lot of time going through 'THE INDUCTION THREAD' of Mad Mikey and really keen on a 3x2, and like the idea of fabricating one.
    There has been good points that I will put into practice from this thread. The rest will be try n see.
    With 2 results possable...
    1 - I have a kick ass looking manifold that I built, working well on my car.
    2 - I have a kick ass looking manifold that I built on my bar leaner
    Either way, time well spent

tb33anda3rd and iwanaflattie like this.
  17. I have kicked my self in the Ass for selling that Crietz to you Lon!! So glad it turned out as cool as it did! still looking for another one....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. fatkoop

fatkoop

I know this may sound nuts to many here, but sometimes I just enjoy the challenge of building stuff myself. Even if I can buy something that will work, I usually opt for making my own. Takes more time than money, but I always learn from the experience.

bct, 39 Aaron NZ, Morrisman and 2 others like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Do you have the carbs? I ve got a line on some cheap ones, but they are front inlets. Bones

20. A customer of mine used this set up on his Windsor engine. One of my 4x2 intakes and an adaptor plate was made for it. Or one of my 3x2 carby intakes could also be used 28061635_10215731970557363_2259740713922231749_o.jpg 28061660_10215731970317357_5205599279808482435_o.jpg 28161723_10215731970357358_4510602629431823813_o.jpg P1080147.JPG

21. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Bones, thanks but I'll buy 2 side fuel inlets. Easer to plumb and smaller base plate.
    Cheers Aaron.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Wow Elco Heads, you make good looking adaptors!
    And cool to see stuff like that is local-ish.
    Not what I am after tho thanks.
    Cheers Aaron.

Johnny Gee and loudbang like this.
  23. XXL__

XXL__

I'm pretty sure there is at least a 3rd possibility. Good luck with this endeavor.

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've been following this since you started it. Sometimes a shared idea isn't received well. Then there will be all the experts that will say it won't work or do it this way of that way. I say go for it because I hear that you understand how a dual plane flow's. The only person that is allowed to disappoint you is you. Now go have fun with your project.

"The odds were a hundred to one against me
    The world thought the heights were too high to climb
    But people from Missouri never incensed me
    Oh, I wasn't a bit concerned
    For from hist'ry I had learned
    How many, many times the worm had turned

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus
    When he said the world was round
    They all laughed when Edison recorded sound
    They all laughed at Wilbur and his brother
    When they said that man could fly

They told Marconi
    Wireless was a phony
    It's the same old cry
    They laughed at me wanting you
    Said I was reaching for the moon
    But oh, you came through
    Now they'll have to change their tune

They all said we never could be happy
    They laughed at us and how!
    But ho, ho, ho!
    Who's got the last laugh now?" Ira Gershwin

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    pbr40, slim38 and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  25. I like what you are trying to achieve with this and really hope you can pull it off. I can see some balance issue with some cylinders running richer like the Falcon and Mustang six single bbl log manifolds but heck...they work.
    Stay focused on your plan and do it just because you can. :cool::) JW

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  26. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

So... Maybe no one has tried this be for, due to where the thermostat housing is there is no room for the front carb.
    20180306_203914.jpg
    Also I've been researching this alot, factory 3x2 have the thermostat way forward due to the placement of the front carb and the carb centers being wider than the inlet ports in the head. The flow on the 3x2 have been called a 'train crash'
    Screenshot_2018-03-08-21-10-15.png
    And with comments of 'why don't you just buy one?'
    Got me thinking... as I'm this committed (stubborn) I will fabricate something custom,
    As I'm not running a hood, I plan on lifting the outer carbs up above the center carb so I can bring them in closer and will blend in with the center carb flow, staying with this placement
    Screenshot_2018-02-27-15-33-10.png
    But with a 6" spacer and as it will be a progressive linkage on the outer carbs there will be adequate air flow acting like a tunnel ram at higher RPM. 20180307_224423.jpg
    The outer carbs will be bolted above the center carb. The front carb runners will have a slight dog leg, the rear carb runners will be straight down.
    Combining SBC factory with this idea
    Screenshot_2018-03-07-14-09-13.png
    The benefits of the factory duel plane for low RPM response AND tunnel ram performance at higher RPM .

Thanks to all watching, I'll keep you posted on progress.
    Cheers Aaron.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  27. X-cpe

X-cpe

A couple of suggestions. In the picture with the staggered holes, the lower planes are wrong. the lower plane for the front carb is the port for the #1 cyl. & the lower plane for the rear carb is the port for the #6 cyl. If I was going to do this as cheaply as possible here's what I would try. My adapters would be made of tubes with a plate welded on top for the carb base. The height of the adapter would be what ever it took to clear the thermostat housing. For the center carb ,a spacer. After you locate the carb spacing clamp the manifold in the drill press and use a hole saw to open up the manifold. On the lower planes you will need a long pilot bit. (My drill press doesn't go slow enough for the larger holes so I just ignore the rules and keep on getting up. An old machinist once told me the primary purpose of cutting fluid was to cool the tool so I use whatever fast evaporating aerosol I have handy-usually Berkobile 2+2 gum cutter. Is there a danger of starting a small fire? Yes, just use enough to keep the heat down and go slow. Even with that kind of abuse my hole saws last along, long time.) Next make a jig out of scrap to go across the center carb with its spacer to hold the end carb bases in place, insert the tubes and weld (or braze) as much as you can. Then remove the jig and finish. On the carb base plates you should chamfer the tops of the holes for the tubes so the weld can sit down in. To finish it gently grind down the tops of the welds close. Finish "machining" can be done by gluing down a course sanding belt to a piece of steel or wood, clamp that on the work bench, invert the manifold and start rubbing until the carb bases (all three) are flat and even. Then its just a matter of finer and finer grits.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  28. It used to get done all the time in the '50s and '60s. I have welded on intakes that were converted and the weld cracked after countless years if use/being kicked around but never actually converted one. Looks like you are headed in the right direction.

26 T Ford RPU and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  29. Big quote. but here's an idea anyway.

Block the original T stat housing, tap into the crossover with say a pair of 1/2" fittings and run them to a remote T stat housing.

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Reinventing the wheel with some cobbled together intake that could be simply purchased new or used easily over the internet seems like a waste of time and effort. I get it, you're in NZ, but hot rodding is expensive. I vote to run the 2 bbl until you have the scratch to get the right parts for the job. You're running a SBC, I'd give you a pass if you were looking for an exotic intake for a straight 8 Buick or something.

brigrat and D-Russ like this.