Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '49 Styleline Deluxe - Project FrankenStyle

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FrankenRodz, Sep 27, 2017.

1. oldie62

oldie62

Nice work! oldi62

2. oldie62

oldie62

Looking for some extra parts for my 1949 Chevy fleetline: ignition switch, windshield corner ends stainless, rear license plate guard. Thanks, oldie62

3. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank you! I've got:

1- NOS Door Check Link Support
    1- Used Door Latch Striker (Passenger Side)
    1- Pair Brand New Fender Skirt Seals
    1- Pair Used Fender Skirts
    1- Used 235 Intake and Exhaust Manifolds
    1- Used Oil Bath Air Cleaner
    1- New Set of Sway Bar Bushings/Brackets
    1- Used Gas Pedal Linkage Rod
    1- Pair Used Interior Sun Visors

You could also check Free Want Ad section at
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showforum.php?fid/164/

4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

F136447E-7C9F-4EB5-ACD2-6041599ED6DC.jpeg 7F5C61FC-8AA9-4702-AF3A-5F5ECE7F8E7D.jpeg 61EE011E-EC81-4D6E-AAC0-C115EF47C081.jpeg D16B623F-97E2-4DE4-ABD9-3E63C2055935.jpeg Trunk Progress -
    The Trunk Panels are complete and ready for upholstery. My favorite Artist Doug Horne has generously provided some great Artwork for the main Panel, which is being printed on canvas. I’ll upholster the Side Panels today with the same basket weave fabric used in the Interior, but nothing will install until the Carpet goes in on the Floor. More Pics to come.

Bowtie Coupe and Wayne67vert like this.
  5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

5059AD5E-0BF9-4641-9E8E-3F34539F3970.jpeg 29E0ABF2-DDC3-4D77-962B-FC93A737A25D.jpeg 1C9E4637-AC22-44ED-A422-FBB3A530604C.jpeg B5029854-C07A-48CF-9818-0BB1EEFD676D.jpeg DA457502-89C8-49A2-BA95-6221D7DAAF0A.jpeg B5029854-C07A-48CF-9818-0BB1EEFD676D.jpeg B4AB6100-EDE5-4D06-B761-C90812153BC2.jpeg

Putting the Patina back...

These cars rust like crazy where the water runs off the roof and collects under the Trim. I wanted to make sure it didn’t keep eating right through the sheet metal, but when sanding and rust-proofing I got a little carried away and burnt through the body paint where the moldings wouldn’t cover it. (Which didn’t work with the rest of the Patina on the car).
    I hate Fake Patina, but I think this combination of 3 paint colors comes close to matching the rest of the surface rust. (Trunk and Fender are Mother Nature). Of course the entire body will be sanded and cleared when I’m done.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Clear Coat completed on the Hood and Trunk Lid.
    The surface was dry-sanded with 220, and shot with 8-coats of Rattle Can Rustoleum Matte Clear.
    I didn't want to lose the 3-D patina, so special care was taken to not break the surface too much.
    The Clear Coat provides a good amount of build-up so you can run your hand or cloth over the surface without snagging.
    The Trunk Weatherstrip Channel is in great shape, so it was sanded and clear-coated also, before the new weatherstrip is installed.
    I also threw in a pic of the very little Bling on the car, the refurbished Trunk Lid Emblem.

IMG_0951.JPG IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0947.JPG IMG_0950.JPG

7. 6500in6th

6500in6th

Great build series, very well written and excellent explanations! The bench seat and three-on-the-tree remind me of my '50 Chevy coupe and teaching the sweetie next to me to shift when I pushed the clutch since my right arm was busy!

8. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

Like everything you have done . BUT. Those carpets
    Must be retired. I know a lot of you have thought it but l said it. Interesting thread.

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Frankie47 likes this.
  9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank you very much. Interestingly, the Carpet choice has been one of the most popular aspects of the car.
    Having done dozens of Builds, I try and push myself creatively, but that may be lost on someone who has toyed with only 1-car for over 40 years. As Isaac Asimov once said; “Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.” KEEP ON RODDING!

10. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

One of best post I have followed. Very well written and documented.. Maybe not for every one but I like your outside the norm build..

11. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks Red!
    This should "Raise a few Eyebrows" ...

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG
    MORE FUN THAN A BARREL OF MONKEYS!
    The Beer Tray sits inside the Spare Tire Well, so I have hidden storage underneath.
    I simply drilled holes in the bottom of the Tray, and silicone-glued the beer bottles in place. I'll put an LED Battery Light in the well, to give the bottles a glow, when I show the Car. That's acrylic ice for effect. A Bottle Opener bolted to the Tire Brace completes the look.
    All completely convertible, so you can still have a traditional spare tire if wanted.

Black_Sheep, patmanta, okndnx and 9 others like this.
  12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

WOW Great idea on the beer aspect. Creativity in this build is top notch

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks! People stopping by the Shop love it.
    The Interior is finally complete, with the installation of the Door Panels.
    And everything but the Nose of the Car has been Satin Clear-coated, and the Rear Lights Installed.

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

14. LMAO! Dude, this build is great! A breath of fresh air. Who did the monkey art work? Really looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  15. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thank You Saxman.
    The Monkey Artwork is by Artist Doug Horne. He provided the digital file and I had it output on canvas.
    I then mounted it to the Trunk Panel Template.
    Check him out, he does fantastic work, including really cool Wood Tiki Masks.
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/DougHorneArt

il_340x270_684029303_8ezo.jpg

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

This build is absolutely brilliant, just brilliant! Look forward to all the updates.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Here's a shot of the completed Interior.

IMG_0981.JPG

19. Love love the Tiki inspired touches
    I have the whole set of those monkey drink coasters
    Well done

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks! I like all Doug Horne's art, and have several of his Tiki Masks in my Florida home.
    The Car may be coming to your area. I'm considering running it through Mecum Kissimee Auction.
    I've done the Barrett Jackson Palm Beach Auction, but it's really unnerving with no reserve.

IMG_0291.JPG

21. Keith50

Keith50

:):) were did you get the wheel cover

jakespeed63 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

The Steering Wheel Cover was on the car when I bought it. It's the standard-issue laced-cover that's been available forever. I just did an InterWeb search and they're still being sold. Since this pic was taken, I scrubbed the cover with cleaner, and it looks brand new!

IMG_0824.JPG

23. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Just got the acceptance letter and my '49 will preview at the 2018 Boston World of Wheels, March 23-25th.

The car has been getting good response from those who have come by the Shop or followed the Build Thread, but it's always fun to see how a broader public audience reacts.

If you're local, stop by and say Hi!

(Here's a few pics of previous entries).

World of Wheels.JPG

C8DA6A92-EB3E-417B-9466-940141E62B2B.JPG

24. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

The Grille has been cleaned, painted, and reinstalled.
    I back-painted the entire Grille in satin black, and back-masked and shot the silver inserts in the same burnt orange as the engine, roof, and wheels.
    The Grille and Bumpers will stay aged for now.

IMG_1027.JPG

25. Keith50

Keith50

Thanks for the info on the wheel cover. If you don't mind I have a couple more questions, first did you buy or make you trunk panels? Mine doesn't have them and would like to get them. Second mine is a 50 standard sedan would it have had the grab handles to get out of the back seat? Between the front and rear side glass mine doesn't have them either. Thanks for your time.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

No problem Keith, ask-away! I wouldn't do these Builds if it weren't for all the Help I get from the HAMB and other Forums. Why go through all the hassle, if someone has already done all the homework!

I made my Trunk Panels. The repop cardboard ones are pretty crappy. If I knew, I could have traced them for you.
    I specialize in Interiors, so you'll see details about the Interior work for this Build earlier in this Thread. (Post #124).

I believe all Deluxe Models would have had the Grab Handles. There's plenty of metal on the inside of the B-pillar, so you could drill and attach them without too much concern. There have been a few on Ebay, but I'd be concerned about dry-rot. Mine looked great, but when I pulled on them, they fell apart.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Keith50

Keith50

Thanks, Like I said earlier my car doesn't have them. I was thinking about getting the chrome clips pieces and making my own. like you said shouldn't be to hard.

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Creativity in this build is top notch- you are the master at fake patina- yours looks so real where you had to replace after repairs-

Bowtie Coupe and FrankenRodz like this.
  29. Keith50

Keith50

I found the cover at a local parts house, made for these new cars though. It took 2 of them to cover the 50's wheel. Thanks FrankenRodz

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Great! Glad it worked-out. I worked for Acura when they first came out, and the Steering Wheel Covers were still a Dealer-Installed option! We had one Service Tech that was a Wizard at lacing them, so they looked Factory applied.
    Post a Pic!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.