Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 LA Roadsters Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by typo41, Mar 8, 2018.

1. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Don't know if this is old news, but we just got our application and they have shortened the show to Friday and Saturday only.
    That was/wasn't a surprise.
    Will it make it a better show? don't know

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. VonWegener

VonWegener

It will be wonderful. There will be so many things to see some of which only come out for this event only.

tofords and Special Ed like this.
  3. I hope this thread doesn't turn into another Ground Hog Day.

4. It won't affect me, I only go Fri. and Sat.

5. clem

clem

What are the date’s?

6. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

it’s always held on Father,s Day, at least for the last 50 +. years.....

Special Ed likes this.
  7. It's Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday.

Special Ed and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Did the L.A. Roadsters take it back over this year?

9. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Does anyone know why it was changed?

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The flyer that I seen said it was on Friday and Saturday, June 15-16 2018. With move in on Thursday June 14, 2018.

Join Us June 15-16, 2018
    Fairplex | Pomona, CA
    Friday 7am-5pm | Saturday 7am-5pm
    (New days, no show or swap on Sunday)

General Admission (13 and up): $20
    Junior Admission (6-12): $10
    5 and under: Free

Roadster Pre-Registration
    • Display your roadster and be a part of the Greatest Roadster Show on Earth!
    • Open to all 1936 and older Roadsters and Cabriolets. (No Unfinished Cars Please)
    • The Roadster move In gate will open at 12:00 Noon, on Thursday June 14 and 7:00 AM Friday June 15 and Saturday June 15. No line-ups before 11:00 AM & 6:00 AM.
    • Roadster Pre-Registration of $50.00 includes entry for roadster, driver and one passenger on Thursday, Friday and Saturday! A $200.00 value! Also included with your entry; one collectors mug (limited to the first 300 entries) A BBQ dinner on Picnic Hill for two on Saturday at 5:00 PM and one goody bag. Any additional passengers are $20.00 each per day (cash only onsite)
    • Pre-Registration must arrive in our office by June 1, 2018.
    Specialty Car Pre-Registration
    • What is specialty car parking? A place for your 1977 and older, Classics, Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Trucks, Rat Rods and Kustoms to participate and be a part of the L.A. Roadster Show. Also a great place to sell your car. Cars must be driven in and cannot be on a trailer, vehicles on a trailer must be in the swap meet.
    • $80.00 per vehicle for all THREE days! Thursday (Early swap meet entry), Friday and Saturday. A $50.00 savings! Includes DRIVER and ONE PASSENGER and one goody bag. (Additional passengers $20.00 each per day) Cash only onsite.
    • Specialty car Pre-Registration must be in our office by June 1, 2018
    • Onsite Single day registration is: $40.00 for Thursday $40.00 for Friday and $50.00 for Saturday. Includes driver and one passenger (Additional passengers $20.00 each per day) Cash only onsite.
    [​IMG]

Don’t want or need a mug? Just show up with your roadster! Only $20.00 per person per day. (cash only onsite)

Saturday admission includes BBQ dinner on picnic hill at 5:00 PM and one goody bag while supplies last.

Roadsters enter the Fairplex at Gate 1 off of McKinley Ave next to the NHRA Museum at 6:00 AM. Proceed to the gate at the end of the museum for entrance. Non roadsters and unfinished roadsters go to gate 17 to enter.

Gates open:
    Thursday, June 14 at Noon (Pre-registered Roadsters only)
    Friday, June 15 at 7:00 AM
    Saturday, June 16 at 7:00 AM

[​IMG]

Gates open:
    Thursday, June 14 at Noon
    Friday, June 15 at 6:00 AM
    Saturday, June 16 at 6:00 AM

Enter The Fairplex at Gate 17 Located off McKinley Ave. And Fairplex Dr. and proceed towards the check-in.

If you have any questions or need more information, contact our office at:

Roadster Shows
    12223 Highland Ave #550
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca 91739
    Telephone/Fax: 1-877-763-7469

[U][U][U][U][U][U][U][U][U][U][U][U][SIZE=4][B][I][/I][/B][/SIZE][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U][/U]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. bighemifan

bighemifan

Wow.... this is, I believe, a first. As long as I have been going, it has always been on Saturday and Sunday (Father’s Day). Given the low attendance/turnout last year, some kind of change had to be expected. The swap meet area on Sunday was a ghost town . Holding it on Friday does have some other implications though. Wonder how this might effect the SoCal and Walden’s Speed Shop Open houses, which are traditionally on Friday afternoon before the Roadster show. . It is the 15th & 16th, of June......... here’s the link to their page. https://www.laroadstershow.com/

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Roadsters used to get in free.

13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like they have their tail between their legs. I thought after our visit last year and what happened they would take a pro active approach to make the event more attractive and back to what it used to be.
    Sadly with this approach I doubt it will move forward to the golden days.
    Might be lucky to get the first 300 roadsters to give the mug to.

Greg Stokes and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  14. clem

clem

Thanks,
    I knew that, also knew it was in June, just didn’t know when Father’s Day was over there.
    Here it is in September.

15. Not to rehash the point that was made in a thread last year, but being good guys just about ran the show into the ground financially for the LA Roadster club. Everyone wants to make John Buck the bad guy. Yes, since I went to the first ever LARS at the Hollywood bowl, finished roadsters got in free. Well, every venue in the US has gone up in cost over the years. John lost his ass last year. A change had to be made. My entry is in the mail. I have way more than 50 bucks worth of fun at the LARS. John has one more year to make this show work for his business. The bitching and moaning needs to stop, and we need to support this show, or like a lot other things now, it will only be a memory. I have no idea what it costs to rent the Pomona Fairplex for 3 days, but I know that the Del Mar fair board wants $600,000 from Goodguys for 3 days, and if a better deal can't be agreed upon, the Goodguys Del Mar show will go away. We can either complain about change, or go with it and have fun at the shows we love.

28rp, Flat-Foot, hotroddon and 25 others like this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have adult beverages every afternoon with a neighbor that was in the restoration business for 40 years and we talk about the state of the automotive hobby/business. The HAMB is not a good example of the overall state of the hobby/business. The passion we hold here does not transfer to the general public when it comes to hot rods. My hat's off to guys like John Buck and Mark Meadors that are putting their money where their mouths are in a declining market place. For any number of reasons, the 300 plus one day car show Father's Day weekend in down town Durango is no more.

17. Last year was a real shock to the system that was needed for swap meet. No more paying for one spot and roping off 15 spots for "friends". No more fights over spaces. I hope this year will be better for the swap meet. I will make the trip again this year across the desert to sell and buy. Its still one of the best swap meets ever for hot rod stuff. My question is that the website does no answer is, can pre register for the swap ahead of time or do you have to wait till the Thursday set up and move in to get a space?

tofords, Kan Kustom and exterminator like this.
  18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Nothing stays the same,,,
    $200 32 Fords are gone, but you know what? Thanks to a bunch of great visionaries, we can now build new ones from scratch thanks to a demand by rodders,, and maybe John Buck can bring back LARS with support from all rodders

19. Yea, I might try to get Friday off this year :D

tofords likes this.
  20. So I just called and spoke to Kevin in the office of the show promoter and asked if we could pre-register for the swap and the answer was yes. He referred me to the website for the map on how the swap will be laid out this year. I choose my spot and paid for it. It comes as 3 parking spaces which is about 500 square feet and I got a corner one as well. When you buy a spot it comes with two passes for entire show all the days its going on.

21. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Dean, you are absolutely right !

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^ Ditto. We all need to get off our asses and show up. Be it the $20 admission fee or $50 Roadster fee, pay it, participate and support OUR pastime, just the same as people do by buying tickets to sporting events or concerts when your favorite bands go on tour (which are much more expensive for a 3 hour gig). Hell, you can barely buy yourself a movie ticket or lunch for $20.
    Show up, check out the cars displays and swapmeet, see a few friends, get some exercise and enjoy the day. I may burn a vacation day and go Friday. I never went Sunday anyway as I spend the day with my Dad and kids.

hotroddon, tofords, GZ and 6 others like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that guys get too caught up in "used to be" and the reality that it costs any promoter, club or group a crap load of money to rent most any venue for an event no matter what the event is. That cost has to be passed on.
    The Roadster show is still on my bucket list as one of those must do events so I hope it keeps going on.

24. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Its always been our show on the left coast, lets keep it going and support it before we lose it !

Ranchero59, Special Ed and Dean Lowe like this.
  25. exterminator

exterminator

Let's face it, as we get older some of us become old farts and get set in our ways and don't want to see change.(My daughter says i am getting cranky). If the LA Roadster show ever goes away due to lack of participation- we all miss out!

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When the lady called me to see if I wanted to continue my add in the LARS program she told me that they decided to change the days because the commercial vendors said that Sunday was dead and they were trying to attract more vendors. I'm sure many other factors entered into the decision?

27. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I went to LARS for the first time last year on Saturday and Sunday. I high expectation because I had been to the GNRS there the previous year. They are two completely different shows ... I understand that now. However, Sunday .... Fathers day, was a complete waste of the ticket to get in. Very few roadsters there and the swap meet was about 5% of the previous day. So, I can see why there is no Sunday show.

28. Just got the email from them today with my receipt and space number for the swap meet.

29. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I am GOING ! Hope to have my "catastrophic failure" running by then.