Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

"Equinox Time" when I read that I thought Mount Equinox in Vermont,were the SCCA ran a hill climb. This is Tony Luther in about 1952 in a Model B powered two man car. If you have been in the hobby long enough you can look back and think about the DUMB things you did. I was given the remains of this car back in the 1970's, sold it, bought it back, then sold it again. If I ever find it again it will cost more. :( DSCF7382.JPG Bob

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Outback, Jet96, hotrodfil and 2 others like this.
  2. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

The hose barb on the sediment bulb is an Edelbrock 1158 with a 1/2 20 thread for the Holley 94. The hard line is 3/8 (I think) brake line with the fittings on them that are 1/2 20 from NAPA. It took me months to figure out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for the compliments on the radius rods. I cant take credit for the pass through idea. I saw it on a thread here on the HAMB.
    As far as the head goes thanks for the conformation on it being 7:1. I am fully aware that there can be no piston pop up. I am excited to build a new motor and use this head. It was one my dad found when he was a kid and always talked about using it on a project. I am hesitant to run it on a babbit motor so I haven't put it on my coupe engine.

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THESE BABBIT ENGINES ARE NOT LONG LASTING. ONE REASON THE DESIGNERS WENT TO INSERT BEARINGS AND EVENTUALLY STEEL BACKED THIN TRI-METAL INSERT BEARINGS. THIS ALLOWED HIGH ENGINE SPEEDS FAR FAR LONGER.... NOT THE ONLY REASON THINGS LAST LONGER BUT A BIGGIE!

MY THOUGHT IS THERE ARE TOO MANY "BUZZ WORDS" FLOATING AROUND AND TOO LITTLE UNDERSTANDING THAT HOP-UP A TRADITIONAL BUT EARLY DESIGN ENGINE CAN BE AN F/N DISASTER.
    IT DOES SEEM THAT THERE ARE MANY, MYSELF INCLUDED, THAT DON'T MIND A UPSIDE DOWN WORK VS USE RATIO. GIANT KILLING CAN BE FUN BUT IT'S A LOT OF EFFORT.

barrnone50, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am planning on having a reputable model A engine builder do the insert work. They build counter balanced crank engines with cut down flywheels and inserts. Not looking to break any records just have a little more GO for my coupe.

barrnone50 likes this.
  6. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

anxious to see motor & head in car . I use mine as a daily driver . like the little extra go .

8. Thats Vermont isn't it? My daughter did horse shows there in Manchester. That's a hell of a steep and windy road.

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

BUY A B MOTOR! IT WILL BREAK TOO BUT WON'T COST AS MUCH AS MAKING AN A OILY ...... OR BUY A DONAVAN D MOTOR.... YOU'LL BE WAY AHEAD IN THE LONG RUN.

HONEST!!

Crazydaddyo, Binger and Old Dawg like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! I just corrected that it is Vermont, don't know why I typed New Hampshire.:confused: Bob

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm making progress.

IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

GOOD PROGRESS DAN. IN THE END THIS WILL SAVE YOU HEARTACHE AND MONEY

AS LONG AS THE BLOCK IS STABLE

GIVE'M HELL BUDDY!

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE VALVE/LIFTER POCKETS AND CAM ARE STILL IN THE BLOCK. THIS IS WHY I WORKED SO HARD TO GET THAT CORRECTED WITH THE OVERHEAD CAM BLOCK. I REGRET THAT IT HAS JUST NOT HAPPENED.... BETWEEN THE HEART BYPASS AND NOW VISION CHALLENGES IT IS SLOW GOING. I'VE SEVERAL GOOD FOUNDRIES HERE
    BUT HE GUY WITH MY BLOCK SCANS IS A WASTE OF TIME......

DSC03671 copy.JPG DSC03678 copy.JPG DSC03679 copy.JPG DSC03680 copy.JPG

SOME OF YOU MAY REMEMBER THIS......

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Installing a tube header and a fuel pump

why not use a little electric pump ?

Old Dawg likes this.
  16. An unbeatable combination! I've had'um in a race engine for going on ten seasons with no problem from THEM! Any difficulties were elsewhere.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I have a deposit on three. The first will be Aluminum, the other two will be cast iron. All will likely be OHV.

Outback, Old Dawg and waxhead like this.
  18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Outback, Jet96, chriseakin and 3 others like this.
  19. Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I hope so. I will have to at least buy two more for the other blocks.
    Moldex crank with 8 bolt flange. I've got Racetec pistons on order.
    IMG_1072.JPG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Jim,
    Just noticed that block is only suited for an overhead cam set up. Even cooler then I remember!!!!!

The oil galley that supplies the oil to the main bearings, is there a plug in the hole behind the cam gear?

Outback and Old Dawg like this.
  22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'M HAPPY TO SEE YOU'LL GET SERIOUS HERE!

YES DAN...IT IS A LOT STRONGER.... LIKE I SAID A STABLE BLOCK ..TIGHT CRANKCASE. AND EARLIER THAT THE HAL 5 MAIN. THE REAR SEAL IS LIKE A MODEL A THAT HAL TOO. WHAT I WAS PLANNING WAS TO RUN IN A CLASS THAT REQUIRED A PRE-32 BLOCK.
    DID YOU SEE THE PAD TO ALLOW ALMOST ANY OHC SET-UP

I'M NOT GIVING UP ON ANY OF THIS. IT'S JUST BACK-BURNER TO MY VISION RIGHT NOW, AND DEPENDENT
    ON WHAT WE SELL IN OUR COLLECTION. SO FAR IT LOOKS LIKE MORE PEOPLE WERE WAITING FOR ME TO SELL THE PREWAR BMWS THAN ZOFIA'S MILLER. IN ANY CASE WE WILL SEE WHAT GOES AND WHAT'S LEFT.

I JUST HAVE TO THROW MONEY AT THE BLOCK PROJECT. TO MAKE IT WORK.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Crazydaddyo and Old Dawg like this.
  23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

DAN

YOU SHOULD STILL HAVE THE PHOTOS I SENT TO YOU o_O FIVE YEARS AGO.

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Jim,
    I do have the pictures, but I also have many pictures of things I find sexy!!!!!!

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I WAS JUST GONNA SEND YOU MORE PHOTOS IF YOU'D LOST EM
    I'LL HAVE TO GO LOOK AT THE BLOCK TO TELL YOU? THERE IS AN MOUNT FOR THE IDLER? IS THAT WHAT YOUR CALLING "CAM GEAR" NO CAM BEARINGS, NO LIFTER BORES, NO VALVE SPRING OR ANY GUIDES
    AS YOU SAID IT'S ONLY FOR OHC HEADS ONLY HAS AN IDLER GEAR WITH A SPROCKET TO RUN THE CAM CHAIN. THE DESIGN IS MUCH LIKE OUR DO-HAL BUT THIS ONE HAS A MODEL A REAR MAIN KINDDA SEAL... THE 5-MAIN HAL HAS VERY VERY DIFFERENT REAR MAIN SEAL.

PROBLEMS WITH THIS BLOCK WAS SOMEONE DID ALL THE MACHING WRONG. PERHAPS THEY ONCE WORKED FOR NORTON OR BSA.... IT'S THAT BAD.

MY PLAN WAS TO RECAST THE BLOCK AND GET EVERYTHING INDEXED ... EVEN THE BORE CENTERS ARE WRONG AND SOMEHOW THE MAINS WONDER LIKE A PISSED OFF DIAMOND BACK.

THE MACHINING LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE WITH A HAND DRILL OR PERHAPS A BRACE AND BIT. I DON'T THINK THE BLOCK WAS EVER USED.
    THE MAIN CAPS ARE BRONZE AND POORLY LOCATED MAKING REPEATABLE INSTALLATION NEAR IMPOSSIBLE

THE MAIN WEBS ARE VERY THICK AND THERE'S A LOT OF ROOM TO SUPPORT FOUR BOLTS AND DOWELS TOO.
    THE CASTING IS WELL DONE. JUST POORLY MACHINED

I DO WISH IT COULD TALK. I'M SURE IT YELLED RAPE!! SEVERAL TIMES IN IT'S LIFE

26. Dan,

I forgot about Moldex, good stuff!!
    You may want to look at the pilot hole in the flange there, it looks small.
    Don't ask, it was a bear to fix assembled.

If you need help with bearings, let me know, I might have a couple tricks for you.

John

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

HI AGAIN

HERE'S THE 5-MAIN REAR MAIN. IF YOU KNOW HAL ENGINES YOU KNOW THIS ISN'T A HAL.

DSC04415.JPG intermanx.JPG

I POSTED OUR INTER-MANX HERE JUST CAUSE IT'S JUST SEXY;) AND I FOUND THE PHOTO WHILE LOOKING FOR THE REAR MAIN.

28. walls

walls

Yes, I’m running a small airtex pump
    Wanted to replace the sediment bowl.
    Used a straight 3/8 flare to female npt, close nipple, and 90 back to flare.
    Rubber grommet makes it fit almost as snug as the glass bowl.

29. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , good . I use racing metal jacket flexible lines as the heat was melting the high buck rubber ones .
    should be just great ......

30. Recently had head gasket issues. Replaced that and it started running odd. A little blue smoke on acceleration, misfiring. Sat on that for a bit. In the sitting, I seriously thought about throwing in the towel and just getting on with the end game plan for this car. Still I wanted to know what was causing the grief. Cooked the 6volt starter in the interim, so I went with a 12 volt high torque piece. At the same time I capitalized on an opportunity to trade off the 2x2/stromberg setup for a single downdraft intake with a repop Holley 94 on it. Got it up and running and ran a compression test before taking the head off again. Good news is there is no less than 75psi and up to 85psi across the cylinders. So I am gonna keep driving it for a while. Doesn't have the same top end as before, but... KIMG0039.JPG KIMG0042.JPG

waxhead and ROCKER77 like this.