Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicago Auto Show, 1957 Ford Exhibit, I was there. ChicagoAutoShow1957Fords.png

2. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Is that a Crosley Hotshot on the Pasadena Freeway ? (far left).

Chrisbcritter and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. noboD

noboD

Incredible!! In 2012 I watched a homemade moped go 72 mph on a 3? hp Honda OHV engine. The owner/builder was just as proud as the guys going 300.

4. PIXIELAND!!!!!!!

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. xix32

xix32

[​IMG] is that Frank Currie ?

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is in the Oakland area on the south side of Chicago. Nothing in this picture remains as it has suffered urban renewal in a big way. A little further east on E. 43rd st. and it becomes Muddy Waters Drive and in short order runs right into Lake Michigan. A nice place to visit.......................

7. Yes, it is! Good eye there!!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  8. keef59

keef59

9. keef59

keef59

10. keef59

keef59

11. keef59

keef59

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was near the north end of the Lincoln City area Gary, been closed and dozed for years. My wife and I nosed around in there just because we could on one trip to the beach years ago, less than a ghost town.

Bowtie Coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

They need a TV....!

14. swi66

swi66

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

16. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Suprcharged and loudbang like this.
  17. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

18. jroberts

jroberts

All I can think of is how bad the rust becomes in these cars a few years later:(.

19. keef59

keef59

20. jnaki

jnaki

Gary Reynolds post on Sure-Fit seat covers from a few weeks ago:
    upload_2018-3-7_8-7-26.png
    The Howard Zink Corp., Sure Fit Seat Covers, the world's largest manufacturer of auto tops and seat covers…

Hello,

Back in 1958-65, we were connected to this unusual business located about a mile away from our old high school in Long Beach. The Long Beach branch of the Howard Zink Corporation, Sure Fit Seat Cover dealership was located here. We went to school with the daughters of the owners and that was really fun.

For our new, 1958 Impala, it had red plaid, stock seat inserts and needed to stay clean during our drag racing days at Lions Dragstrip. So, my brother wanted something to protect the seats from the ever dirty Levis when working on and entering the seating areas. We found these clear covers at the Sure Fit Dealer and they were very flexible and the clarity was outstanding. It did not feel like sitting on some crackling hard plastic. There was plenty of give and take. Of course, there was no smoking in the car for fear of any melting plastic.
    upload_2018-3-7_8-8-24.png upload_2018-3-7_8-8-35.png 1958
    By the fall of 1964, I was planning on selling the 58 Impala to buy a new 65 red El Camino for college transportation. When a friend said that he would buy my 58 as is, for whatever cost, I was amazed. We made a deal and he said as neat as the clear plastic seat covers were, they had to come off. When we gently unhooked the metal clips and slipped off those clear covers, my friend was totally amazed. He now had a brand new, “6 years of use,” red interior without any scratches or fading.

He said that I obviously took care of my car and remembers the times when we both cruised around in it. Now, it was his new car with a new-old-stock (NOS) interior and a fast 58 Impala, C&O hydro, 4:56 gears, and all. He was very happy. But, where is it now?

Jnaki

As soon as I made the Impala deal, the next week, my 65 rolled into the local Chevy dealer, with red seats on the red El Camino. I immediately drove to the Sure Fit dealer for another installation of clear plastic seat covers. When the dealer/installer remembered our 58 Impala, he gave us a deal on the new covers for the El Camino. We now needed it for keeping the seats clean during our desert/motocross/racing days and those long days at the local surf spots.

8 years later when I sold the 65 El Camino, the new buyer was also amazed that he had a NOS red interior that still smelled like a brand new upholstery from the factory. The clear plastic was softer and more flexible, but lasted through those long drives, desert climates, dirt, wind, mud, and sandy beaches to stay perfectly clean.

Yes, the clear plastic seat covers were a little warm during the summer months. But, we used those wire/air flow/seat back cushions, wind wings and lower vents open. That was free, built in A/C without any horsepower loss from the multiple length belts.

“SureFit "41st Anniversary Celebration" give-away was announced jointly by J. D. Zink, president of the Howard Zink Corp. Zink, national manager of the Sure- Fit Division, Long Beach. In a drawing held at the home office of the Howard Zink Corp.”

Long Beach Press Telegram Newspaper.
    upload_2018-3-7_8-9-34.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.