Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today, in the land of Geometry idiots with co morbid spatial recognition issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Now here's more geometry- brake pedal set up
    And
    More spatial awareness - exhaust vs brakes.
    What to do?
    What's right?
    What's easier?
    What to leave?
    What to change?

You can see there's no room for a pipe thru here
    image.jpeg
    So they went under the booster with a really low hanging pipe.
    Repeating That option is out furrrr show, noamsain?
    I could go around the front and run both pipes down the the passenger side then cross the tail pipe back over like a late model, Seem like a lot of extra pipe right?
    Lots of fitting & cutting , really particular work to snake it around up front. I'm guessing it results in at least 200 rounds of hot rod aerobics ( get on the floor under the frame get out and get back up - that's one)
    image.jpeg

Then we have this mad scientist's misjugjment and minagurupartshanger's menagerie that plays like the sweetest carcophony music I've heard in a while.
    WTF really??
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I could redesign the brake pedal & booster. Slide the pedal over, reduce the ZBar, Move the booster back and run a long rod to it and hang the master there. That puts the acess under the seat Which apparently is a problem (thanks seat guy) Then the pedal would be right, room to bring the pipes thru, and the brakes pretty damn close to OK.

Or I could mount a booster off the firewall and really make some changes.
    Probably not much harder than moving everything.
    You know, for fuck's sake all this shit really matters.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

That brake pedal, whatd they do just stick scrap together until it got to where it should be? I bet it flexes nicely when you try to stop. And the angle iron coil mount, well not unsafe, but really not pretty at all. Gonna have to go back and look at the rest of the pics now.
    Didn't seem so craptacular up until here.

3. Craptacular :)
    Lots of info and craptacularness has been removed. There's a whole bunch of craptacular stuff that's off topic here but worthy of the highest honors in the realm of craptacular.

That coil bracket is dumb as hell, but the least of the issues.

loudbang and Johnboy34 like this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

10 lbs of crap in a 5 lbs bag?

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did the brake pedal feel spongy when you drove it? :confused: Bob

6. Like I said, it sorta stopped ok, but the pedal stayed down. You had stick your foot under the pedal and pick it back up. However I could not get up to enough speed to really get a good feel on the brakes.

Be a shame to clutter it up
    image.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A tribute to the 3 wise men (original 'builders') "Never mind the brakes, we'll get to them last!"

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Again, shitty work is traditional, the builder was just helping to "carry the torch":eek:
    I would bet if you took a photo of Vicky right before he opened up that mess the bubble caption would have him saying "fuck me"!

9. " Awe Fuck me running !"
    Actually, that's what I said.

Everything that has to function is fucked up, really it is.
    It's got the pretty part down though.

My dad always said, "make it stop, make it go, make it pretty- in that order never deviate from that". Almost sounds like common sense don't it?

loudbang and Andy like this.
  10. Anybody ever seen a brake pedal mounted out side the frame rail?
    I haven't seen it, I could do it, but I am not sure it's the best thing to do.
    Apparently they do it in Australia
    image.jpeg
    But the bushings in the frame rail, put the little end and rod inside the rail, big end and little end on a splined shaft. Doable
    image.jpeg

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. Wow !!

Like I say it has to steer and stop, it’s nice if it goes and looks good while doing the other 3.

The fire wall looks nice and clean
    What about a small booster painted body colour ?
    Or a manual master only?
    Sized right they stop well, as I’m sure you know.

That brake setup was an afterthought
    They needed to get the “ pretty” right first ! Lol

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Kinda sorta but not exactly!
    Not my best work but when I did a major remodel on my 66 Suburban I cobbled this together (not finished).

20180306_095713.jpg 20180306_095831.jpg 20180306_095912.jpg

13. i can't see any problem putting it on the out side of the frame. jeeps did it with the clutch pedal for years.

14. Well I just got word that "I'm not allowed to fuck up the firewall" . The nerve of some people I tell ya :p:D

So here's the pedal plan
    If you get it without the fancy cad cartoons and multicolored animations you're doing well because my chicken scratch is bad especially when I'm in a hurry.
    image.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. Here we go!
    Got some reference marks, and a plan, parts ordered..

Right where it's going is a bunch of extra hole, and lots of irregular change in the shape of the frame rail due to stamping.
    image.jpeg
    So get rid of it
    I'll weld a flat piece in there that has the change the way I need it to pull this off.
    Since the frame is tapered & I'd prefer it paralle to the chassis center line at that point that's what it's going to wind up.
    image.jpeg

Since I have a plate, a pattern and a torch,, I can make a brake pedal. That will in the moarming since I'm getting drunk and not making sparks.
    If I do this right it should have full swing without crashing into the frame rail.
    They had the Z hitting the frame rail.

image.jpeg

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Dick Stevens like this.
  16. If I had to fix that mess, drunk would be a repeatable occurrence. :D

17. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I appreciate all the time you took post the pic s and explain the situation and how you thought through different ideas. I would have probably just said " Fuck it" after the thread got butchered up. Thanks for not doing that.

18. Yeah, well some folks will bitch if you hang them with a new rope.
    Speaking of bitching and getting drunk,,, one of my favorite drinking songs.
    When I hear it I thank the good Lord for my awesome wife.

dan31 and 6inarow like this.
  19. Wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't get it all over the out side of the bag. You can't touch it without getting some on you.

20. audio laxative......

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ford produced 15 MILLION Model T's with an outside hand brake, concept is the same. Were did GM place it on all those AD trucks? Bob

22. outside also

loudbang likes this.
  23. Did they really?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If a pedal can work a master under the dash then why not? But don't get all tickled pink like you invented something new. You just went way way old school.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Looks like my first wooden go kart brakes.

26. Apparently it's so old it's new again!
    I thought sure as shit I could go 1-800-hot rod on a thru frame brake pedal shaft dealie.
    Nope and I tried. I even tried to get all the parts at one freaking place. Apparently it's not normal ( there's that word again) to put those parts together.

SOOO It was 1-800 bronze bushings - 1-800 DOM tube, 1-800 steering shaft coupler, and 1-800 tri 5 replacement steering shaft. 4 places and parts are coming from all over the country for a fucking brake pedal. Now,,,, should I burn the whole pedal out of 1 PC tomorrow or lop off the end with the big hole and just weld on what I need to one of the pedals I already have??? Decisions decisions. Hold my tequila and watch my next trick :)
    I'm gonna invent something

loudbang likes this.
  27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I'll be sure to call one one nine if need be. ;)

loudbang likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty sure the last guy was heard saying that.
    Plain bronze or oilite bushings?
    Zerk fittings?