Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harmon & Collins dual point distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48bill, Jan 23, 2004.

1. 48bill

48bill

A friend is having problems installing a Harmon & Collins dual point distributor on his early (1940) ford flathead. This is the "crab style" distributor cap.

He has received different/conflicting info on firing order, wiring of the coils and types of condensors. Does anyone have any info that could assist him.

Thanks.

Bill

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Here's a copy of the original instructions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can't read the fireing order from this photo. If noone else gives the fireing order, rattle my chain and I'll post it tonight.

3. 48bill

48bill

Tommy,

Thank you very much. I am sure this will be helpful to my friend. I was able to read the firing order. It is (clockwise from the top right of the photo)7-5-6-2-4-3-1-8.

Again THANK YOU.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There was lots of discussion of these things on Fordbarn and the MSN Flathead group. Another piece of info needed before you hit the starter--most non-original '42 caps won't clear the rotor on these. You need a real Ford cap or a carefully checked aftermarket one.

5. 48bill

48bill

With Tommy and Bruce's info we are making progress on this. It is now getting spark and is trying to run but seems to be cross firing.

Any Suggestions??

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

What kind of crab cap are you using? If you're using the black plastic one, ditch it & find a brown/red one.

Those repro black caps are garbage.

[​IMG]

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Cross firing: You have lots of electrical stuff in a very small package here--use a small plug gap to reduce the electricity's temptation to go new ways, and be sure all terminals are good and snug. I'd use only solid core wire.
    Eyeball the rotor parts and spacer parts, all the H&C plastic, very closely with a magnifier for cracks. Uncracked plastic is really unusual on these things...
    If no obvious faults, give all plastic a very thorough wash&rinse and finish with no-residue brake cleaner to be sure electricity isn't following a track of surface crud. Doublecheck firing order, first by diagram, then by actually looking at what points where and when if you still have trouble. Examine rotor phasing vv rotor tips to contacts, rotor gap, and make sure advance mech is free and is retarding properly.

8. I timed mine that way and it wouldn't start. Just popped back through the carb. I haven't tried yet but I have been told the firing order is, starting on the drivers side top 2 8 4 7 and passenger side 6 1 5 3.
    I'll try it this weekend.

9. I got my engine running today thanks to an old timer who knows his stuff. The order is from top to bottom on the drivers side 7, 5, 6, 2 and on the passenger side it is 8, 1, 3, 4.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I just located an elderly document with not only this but orders for LZ conersion, Kong, numerous odd DC conversions like Packard and buicks, etc.
    Plus...it offers a general mantra that will sort out any of them!
    Will postitall when I get it smuggled in to work and have a while.
    Info from Don Francisco, the top of the heap on tech!

11. 334 Charlie

334 Charlie
    from mass

bill you said clock wise dont these dist. turne contre clock wise hope tihs helps