Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Took care of the paper work today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 5, 2018.

1. I have dreaded going to the DMV and have put it off for almost a month but today I decided I needed to get the title in my name,the tag transferred and pay any taxes

I walked in the door of the DMV and I honestly don't believe I am exaggerating,there were at least 80 people packed in the waiting are and not a seat to be found but I had cleared the slate for this afternoon so I was going to stat the course.

I waited in the short line to obtain the proper paper work and went outside to sit on a bench to fill out the paper work,as luck would have it I only had to wait about 15 minutes and then my number was called. V-827 at window 15.

I thought I was in trouble when I saw the look on the mans face but everything went as smooth as it could be.

This is the best experience I have ever had at the DMV . HRP

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

See Danny all that worrying paid off!
    Sometimes good things happen to good people!
    KK

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Be thankful.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paperwork for your Deuce? Glad it went well.
    You thought you were in trouble...lol. The guy was probably more like, "Whoa...a '32 Ford..."

3W JOHN, low budget and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

AAA when I can, DMV when I have to. Glad it went smoothly....

6. Yes sir,it is for the Deuce,I got the only man working the counter and he rarely looked up and looked PO'ed but like I said,smooth sailing and never ask for anything except my license. HRP

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Good going,you don’t need to dread that anymore

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Wait until next time. Just saying.

9. Oh,I've been through a few nightmares at this very same DMV. HRP

10. dan31

dan31

I can remember waiting in line for 2 hours at njdmv 15-20 years ago. A trip there would eat up half the day . They have gotten a lot better,now they can take your money in a half hour of less,lol.

11. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Last time I went to the DMV I was dreading it. I have to transfer a title for a '37 Buick in my name. I went in and there was about 20 in line, which went fairly fast. I got to the counter and the lady told me I needed the person who sold me the car to write in the value. She told me to go out to the parking lot and find the person and have them write in an amount. I went outside, wrote in an amount and went back in. Again, the line was 20+ people. The woman saw me at the end of the line and told me to go up to the counter and they had my paperwork ready for me. I walked up to the front of the line, handed a different woman my now completed paperwork and was handed my new title. The DMV has really changed his in Wisconsin in the last ten years. Really good customer service, not like it was back in the 80s.

12. Slopok

Slopok

Illinois won't accept ca$h....must be cause of all the crooked Govenors!

deucemac, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. BJR

BJR

In Minnesota they spent a fortune for a new computer system for the DMV. It doesn't work correctly. New titles are taking forever to get now and everyone is bitching. Now they say it will take another fortune to fix what the last fortune bought!

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

When I lived in CT, they said "if you want to see the dead come back to live, go to the DMV at 4:30 PM"! DMV closed at 5 PM and all customers in line had to be served before they could close for the night!
    Ohio is privately operated and a breeze compared to most other states.
    KK

15. Gastrap

Gastrap
    from Tama, Iowa

I sometimes have one or two people ahead of me at the treasurers office, need to get over there soon and register my '30 plates for the Tudor.
    Sure don't miss the DMVs in the Bay Area!

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

They're specially trained here to be grumpy, crass and condescending. They all act like they need to get laid. Doesn't matter which office you go to, they've all come out of the same mold and that's pretty much the only vocation I can think of where it's unanimous. Must have something to do with being a civil service EE and being impervious to being term'd?
    Having said that, they have gotten better in recent years-I'll give them that. You can also schedule appointment times and avoid the thundering herd that's comparable to shopping at opening on black friday.
    I've said it before but to me it's worth every penny to hire my local DMV 3rd party service to do all the legwork for me. Ugh, I absolutely loath going to the DMV.

17. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Same for me in CT. Thursday evening if you got in by closing, though there were tons of people, they got you out pretty quick.

18. Congrats Danny!:cool:
    I love going to the DMV:eek::rolleyes::p It's like putting your nuts in a vise and slowly squeeze!

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN and Ralphies54 like this.
  19. I'm always intrigued when people from the USA talk about the DMV. It never ever sounds like a good experience. Here in my province in Canada, we have a governent run license issuer that is also the insurance. (We can buy extra insurance from other companies). It kinda sucks here with only one option but it's nothing like any stories of the DMV I've ever heard. Regarding vehicle inspections here, if the vehicle is over 25 or 30? years old it needs no inspection, and a written bill of sale is all that's needed for proof of ownership. Our vehicle regulations are also pretty lenient. We also have zero emmisions testing for any vehicles at this point at least. Only newer vehicles from out of our province or vehicles that have been in an accident need to be inspected. Again, the DMV sounds like a horrible experience in general.

20. Mine....finally getting the convertible's title in my name after years of chasing down the previous owner - would you believe he signed the title off in red ink ? That's also a no-no around these parts.... IMG_20170818_074426.jpg

21. In Texas we have private title agencies as well as government tax offices. The tax offices in general have improved a lot but the private facilities are still so much more efficient.

I’ve used the same private title agency for 20 years for my business. It just makes life so much easier.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  22. I have to be honest, I really have not had any issues in recent years. It was much worse when you had to have inspections on home built cars. I remember bringing my first 32 to the DMV in the 60's for inspection. I drove in the inspection station and the inspector just shook his head no and opened the exit door. Said he did not know how to inspect it. The next time I brought it back the inspector was about 300 lbs. 6ft tall and could not get into the chopped and channeled Deuce. I had to demonstrate by getting into the car myself. I think he passed it just to get rid of me. I had to put expanded metal guards on the sides of the motor to block the exhaust manifolds that I had on with temporary exhaust going out the back.

23. Mark,I've said it before but it bears repeating,you ain't right! :D HRP

24. Never said I was!:p But one thing for sure is I ain't Left!;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

In over 40 years I've only had a problem one time, and that was recently when we bought the wife's Expy from a Hispanic guy. He half printed and half signed the title and Ms Grumpy at the tag office wouldn't have it, wife had to go back and get him to sign it in cursive, and it then was completely illegible! She wanted to bitch about it again but the wife cut her short by telling her that it was exactly like she wanted it, she didn't say it had to be legible!
    Usually only takes 30 mins or less, never over two or three people waiting.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Never go to the DMV or call the telephone company on a Monday or a Friday. Everybody that bought a vehicle over the weekend or had to wait until they got paid on Friday shows up on Monday. I've found Wednesdays at about 9:30 AM to be a good time.

They know it will be busier on Mondays and I don't understand why they don't have additional staff on days that they know will be busy.
    [​IMG]

27. I went through something very similar, the seller signed the title it with red ink,dated it ten years before I bought the car from a different individual and when I went to the DMV I realized this was not going to be something that would be handled that day.

The lady behind the counter instructed me to find the original owner who lived in Virginia and get him to apply for a new title,this is prior to the computer age and after two weeks I learned the original owner had deceased and I couldn't find any of his decedents and ended up back at the DMV and asking what's next and was promptly told,there is nothing I can do.
    My problems fell on deaf ears.

A few months later I was talking to a friend from Georgia and he said give him a bill of sale and he would get me a Georgia title,the DMV in Georgia could care less and within two weeks and less than 20 bucks I had a Georgia title which I took back to the SC DMV and ironically to the same woman that told me I was S.O.L and I transferred the title into my name. HRP

dan31, chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  28. The DMV in NY has gotten better. I registered my Ford in 2016 and had a clean Colorado title that was in fact new. The examiner of course has to call a huddle of the Witches of Eastwick on me. They take the title behind closed doors while I wait a 1/2 hour. Most likely that were having a coffee break..

They come out and the rest went well, some argument on the vehicle weight and color, but nothing bad. I was in and out in 1.5 hours.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  29. Yeah,what's the deal with the weight,that was a question I was ask yesterday and I told him I don't know,he said guess and I said about the same thing as a VW and he said ok, a new one or a old one?

I supose me being a Deuce nut I should know. HRP

30. bchctybob

bchctybob

Glad you had a pleasant and productive experience, mine hasn't been so swell.......
    With a Bill of Sale in hand I started my quest for registration for my '50 Ford "pick up" The VictChero, at the local AAA office in wonderful California. The news wasn't good. The probable last registered owner has been dead for years, it was passed down to the son (but not registered) who died a few years ago, I got it from his wife - daughter-in-law of the last registered owner.
    The VIN didn't appear in the system so I thought I'd be ok but the nice AAA lady said the dreaded words, "You'll have to have the DMV check, our computer only goes back so far..." Oh boy, here we go, "they may need a death certificate from the bla, bla bla..." The lady I got it from is a straight arrow who wont sign anything beyond the B.O.S. saying she was never on the title and therefore it would be lying. So I'm not sure how to proceed at this point. Needless to say I won't spend a dime on it until it's in my name.