Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding on rear axle housing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, Mar 4, 2018.

1. I need to weld some leaf spring pads on a 9" housing, but I'm worried about warpage from welding on just one side of the tube.
    What's the best way to do this?

2. oj

oj

If there is a drag race fab shop near you have them weld it with a narrowing jig. Theoretically, you can weld it and then apply the same amount of heat etc to the opposite side. If you are welding near the end then the warp won't affect things all that much, if you were welding hear the shoulder a little warp would affect things quite a bit. If the 3rd member is in it just slide the axle in and see if it seats clean into the bearing housing after welding and then go from there.

RMR&C likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Put a solid 1 inch weld in the middle of the bracket on the outside of one bracket, go to the other bracket and do the same, come back to the first bracket and 1 inch weld on inside, then same on other bracket. Work back and forth that way and you shouldn't have any problems.

Honestly you shouldn't have any problems just welding up the outside completely then moving to the other bracket and running a complete weld down the outside and then going back to the other bracket and welding the inside completely and so on, this is how I do it. I do put tack welds in the center of the pads on both sides first.

biggeorge, RMR&C and greybeard360 like this.
  4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Check the area opposite were the brackets will be with a straight edge to make sure it is straight. After welding the brackets on, again check to make sure it is straight. If there is any warp age, it will be where the brackets are welded causing the opposite side to have a high spot. Take a torch and heat a small area about the size of a dime to the high spot until it gets red hot in the middle and let it cool to the touch and check for flat. You will be able to see how much the high spot has leveled out and it may take several times to get it perfectly level. The second time, you may want to make the heated spot a little bigger. Not too difficult but don't rush it, take your time and let it cool between heating.

dirt t, RMR&C and j-jock like this.

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If you have ever checked the straightness of a "stock" housing (before cutting or welding) with a bar you would be shocked to see how far off most are.
    If you have ever welded on a housing without a bar and than checked it you would be shocked how far off it will be.
    Getting a 4 wheel alignment afterwards is very humbling .................................JMO

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Just weld the damn thing on there. The tube won't warp enough to matter. It may even end up straighter than stock

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I'll post this, sure i'll get hammered. I just turned 61, when i was 16-18 we had a family friend who at one time was welder on Redstone Arsenal (nasa).He was in his 60's then.He left there went to a welding shop, then opened his own.I watched him many time take wet shop rags and wrap them on either side of the spot he was to weld.Heat sink. You have heard this saying before, but i truly believe he could weld the crack of dawn.

8. I just welded mine
    almost 12k miles with no issues

I must have done something wrong

Racer29 and RMR&C like this.
  9. Thanks, I'll weld it up and see what happens

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Applying the same amount of heat on the opposite side of the welded area has always seemed to me like a good idea. But if the tubes do warp and the ends go out of position, they can be put back.
    I worked in a rear axle housing production welding department years ago. Ran a huge automated wire-feed welding machine that pressed and welded the tubes with brackets and flanges to the center section. Even with evenly-applied welding, straightening was needed at the end of the line. The center section would be located and clamped to a fixture. Then the very ends of the tubes were pushed into position with manually-controlled hydraulic cylinders...up, down, fore, aft...until they again lined up with pre-positioned marks on the fixture. Obviously, they weren't concerned with exact straightness of the axle tubes per se...only with the final position of the flange/bearing relative to the differential.
    A guy could maybe do it himself with the right supports, clamps, a press and careful measuring, but I would probably just take it to an axle shop after welding for straightening.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    RMR&C and cktasto like this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the full weld around it is prettier, doing the short welds and letting it cool and welding some more gives you a better chance of not warping it. That said I think my buddy ran 4 beads end to end when we did mine and I never had an issue with it. We didn't know much about it back in the mid 70's though.

RMR&C likes this.
  12. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i,ve welded a couple with no trouble , if your concerned just make short beads ... my 2" :)

RMR&C likes this.
  13. evintho

evintho

I fabbed trailing arm brackets and welded 'em to my Ford 8". Clamped the rear down real good, wrapped the tubes with wet rags and welded 2" beads alternating between sides. Been driving the car for a little while now with no issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30tudor and RMR&C like this.
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Now to hijack thread, what are your lower arms out of??

15. I was wondering that also.

16. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. ...I've done that exact same thing, never had any warpage problems...
    ...problem with welding the crack of dawn, is that it doesn't stay in one place very long,..lol.

18. looks like a Suzuki Samurai radius arm
    land cruisers have something similar
    but Im going with land rover

looks like I got some scrounging to do

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  19. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I didn't start out with a "Bar" for the first 20 years of building cars/trucks it came way later when I started charging for narrowing & modifying for specific application. Have plenty running around that were stick welded with no bar, and no apparent issues. I was convinced that I needed a bar when a front end shop called me about a customer that had a Hot Rod with the left rear tire 2 deg. off. If you think about it 2 deg. off is a lot when the tire is 28", 29", 30" at the outside radius. 2 deg. would not show up at the bearing end or tube to the normal builder at the time of welding..........................

RMR&C likes this.
  20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I've seen them (Control arms) before, but having a senior moment. I think some one on here posted a pic of them a couple years back.

21. evintho

evintho

Yeah, that was probably me. Trailing arms came out a '99 Land Rover Discovery. Coilovers from an '88 Subaru wagon and the panhard bar is a trailing arm that I modded from an '01 Kia Sportage. Took this pic when I got home from Pick-N-Pull's half price day.
    Trailing arms - $33 for the pair.
    Coilovers - $9 each.
    Panhard bar - $11.

[​IMG]

22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^And that's how it was done before the internet^^^^^^^^^^^^

bchctybob likes this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

back in the 80's, i put a chevy rear under my 63 ford 1 ton to get rid of the 6 bolt wheels. welded some small channel iron on for spring pads with my mighty lincoln buzz box, and drove the shit out of it for 18 years. it was a roll back hauler with a stinger to haul two cars, didnt pay much attention to being over weight in those days. probably put 200 k on that truck, 2 cabs, 2 motors, switched to a 5 speed out of a bus, lots of abuse, no axle problems. weld it and move on

24. speedshifter

speedshifter

Here's a way to check rear axle for alignment. Assemble center section, axles, wheels & tires into the housing. Set the assembly on the floor on the tires. rotate housing. If the tires do not wobble or wiggle sideways the alignment is perfect. Another way. Again assemble the housing. Leave the wheels & tires off. Set the housing on tall jack stands. Clamp or bolt a rod or angle iron across the face of each axle flange . I suggest a minimum length of about 18"for each rod, the length of one rod can be different from the other. Turn each axle to put each rod to the 12 o'clock position. Measure from the end of one rod to the other. When measuring slightly rotate one axle until you get a minimum reading. Repeat this measuring method at 6, 9, &3 o'clock. If all 4 readings are the same the housing alignment is OK. Greg

25. the wet rags work great,simple and effective!

RMR&C likes this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

yup.it was you. good job!

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like has been said tack them weld small beads go to the other side weld a bead then swap sides you won't have a problem that way

RMR&C likes this.
  28. Just weld 'em on, don't linger and over heat it. I have done dozens over the years and never warped an axle tube.

29. I welded it yesterday, it turned out fine. Used the wet rag trick.

Thanks for all of the input!

30. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

I have built a lot of new 9in without a jig it will warp. It doesn’t matter how slow you weld it. Take it to a shop that does it. I can’t see more than an hour labor on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brigrat likes this.