Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't deploy the chute John, you will just need to wash it out on the salt and it's no fun. ;).

2. jimmy six,
    yeah I guess that thing would be filled up with salt. LOL
    The Chute is for emergences only and I hope the heck it never has to be deployed.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Me too.
    The brakes are going to need a little adjustment – the front wheels spin a little too freely.;)

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Update,
    Thank You Darryl Duncan / Shelby Good Year Racing of Las Vegas Nevada for the new shoes for the Bonneville Project. I now have 26" tall 27" tall 28" tall Good Year Eagle Front runners . with this tire size combination we can adjust the rear gearing by just changing tire sizes. and we can swap between 2 or 3 gear sets as well.
    on another note hear are some photos of currant work. additional roll cage supports, rear X bars, and the beginning of the fuel tank IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0552.JPG

5. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Looking good John, only 6 months away

loudbang likes this.
  6. 6 Months! It seams like 6 weeks sometimes. LOL I am on schedule so far thanks to all the help I have gotten from my XO/PP 640 Team Mates and all the support from the Virginia H.A.M.B. social group members and H.A.M.B. members from all over the USA.
    and the generous support from.
    Optima, K&N Filters, MSD/Holley, Auto Meter, Painless Performance , The wheel Smith, Bare Brakes
    Meziere Enterprises, Impact , Techna-Fit, Shelby Good Year Racing , The Rodders Journal, The H.A.M.B.
    and a very special Team Mate Doug Dwyer for all he has done for the XO/PP Bonneville Project.
    Thank You all for your support

7. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

My support t-shirts arrived today! They look AWESOME! Thanks for doing this John and allowing us to be a part of your inner circle of friends.:cool:

8. I couldn't do this without everyone's encouragement and support . Thank you

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. Progress report.
    I finished the additional roll cage Bars that Kiwi Paul / BNI inspector suggested I also have the fuel tank 70 percent done, and got some more body work done . I will post photos Wednesday evening. I work at Jimmy's Engine Service Tuesdays and Thursdays

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John the problem with Bonneville inspections is it you have a chute you will deploy it during inspection and on your first run.
    My roadster at both El Mirage and Bonneville by the record speeds (which I hold) does not require a chute. I do have one of course but I hate proving at both inspections.
    If it were me with your truck I would construct all of it but not mount it. Use it for your shows and such. I can guarentee you after you pas thru the timing lights and even slip it into nuetral your brick will slow down and slow down pretty fast. Leaving it in gear it will be quicker than you think. At 150 our 40 Chev took a tad bit over a 1/4 mile.
    Anyway keep going on your pickup....

11. That's what I had planned to do, I really only need it as a back up at places like the Texas mile, possibly the new ECTA track in Arkansas or any place where there is not to much shutdown. but again only for emergency use..

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Look like the record is 131 mph , may not need that chute??? Nice truck. We run XF/PP a much lower mph. truck.jpg

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

John ,
    Have you figured the rpm needed to break the record with those tires etc???...

14. Yes I have made a chart with every possible gear tire combo I will bring with me 3.00, 3.25, .3.50, and 3.75 gear sets w/ 26", 27", 28", tall tires. I figured them at 6.000 RPM using the rolling radius of the tire at 30 PSI

15. New Photos and progress report. fuel tank welded up just needs polished up seat lower supports added and I started to re do the tool black on the roll cage. IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0560.JPG

16. I still have some shirts left. Only 100 were made, these are the original Limited Edition shirts. I have some in Med. L, XL, XXl and XXXl. mail me your address, shirt size, and a check for $20.00 shipping included. Thanks John

loudbang, D-Russ and saltflats like this.
  17. I guess I should post my address for the shirt orders.
    John Mullen
    9428 Richmond Road
    Lanexa, Virginia. 23089

18. I do not have any more XL shirts, I have Med, L, XXL and XXXL. you may call me with your order and I will hold your size for you. 757-645-7828 John Mullen

19. Glad I got mine today at Jimmies!! Thanks again John!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  20. great work day with D-Russ and 57 Heap got lots of stuff done IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0573.JPG

21. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you might want to get the side head restraints for your seat or build some that are attached to the cage. SCTA might have something to say about the amount of sideways motion allowed in the present configuration. Even if it is not in the rule book, concussions have happened with the head bouncing side to side. This is turning into an awesome project. Love those sixes.

Warren

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

wuga is right. You need more work on the cage.

Stogy, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  23. I will work on that, Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input I was thinking along those lines just don't have it laid out in my mind yet..

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  24. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the side wings for the seat, bolt them to the headrest, then connect them to the cage with whatever bracketry (slip tubes?) you think will work. SCTA Rulebook 3.A.3 requires 2" or less clearance per side between helmet and side support.

vic

25. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

A Hans device is still required also isn't?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Yes, it's required. I'm wearing the Hans device in those photos John posted.

loudbang likes this.
  27. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I've seen other pics of them that makes them look a lot bulkier than the one you are wearing, so I didn't readily spot it in the pics. Thanks for the clarification.

28. Thanks Vic

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because the seat is thin at the back because of your need in the tight space make sure the the side wings you buy for it are also attached to the bar as said above. I would still add bars around your helmet sides because the wings supplied by Kerkey for that style are pretty flimsy. We ran them in a dirt car for a season and then went to a welded/braced kind. You will need padding that's pretty close to the helmet, I believe you only get 2" per side and it's got to be that dense SFI rating not your typical off road "jeep" stuff.
    I believe Pegasus sell the padding, I bought Nomex cloth from them for mine and for the protection over the tubing for my air blower hose and roll bar padding.
    We're definately not bad mouthing anything your doing John, many of us have been thru it or are or have been inspectors. I believe I said many pages ago inspectors today just feel they need to find something wrong or something they don't like. If you meet the rules you would have always been passed by me with nothing in your log book. If something was wrong I showed where it was wrong in the book.
    Even after all these years when a newer inspector looks at my roadster and says he wants something, I ask him/her to show me in the rulebook where it does not meet specs. They seem to say that it's "not necessary but I'd like to see" and I just smile.
    Keep up the good work. We here wish you success. I know Rich and I do.

30. Thank you Jimmy Six Its guys like you that make a difference for rookies like me. I really do want to have all my ducks in a row when I come to Bonneville. Don't wish to waist there's or my time not having everything as it should be.. I look forward to see you on the salt. Thanks John