Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. 1911

Seen at Viva 06. He drove it from N Carolina and back..
    VLV06b.51.jpg
    VLV06c.51.jpg

2. fortynut

fortynut

Rave on Maestro! I had to read it from the get go. Wizards with the Eye, who turn back the standards, are few and far. The very nerve. Gotta say you are a worthy contender against monkey see madness that claims so many, and old devil it is sinks it's wretched claws into balls and bank books. You have found proof that money can't buy you love, at least when it comes to using your God given wits to nurture it out of rusty metal. Paying someone to build your Pogo stick takes the jump out. Puzzle me this, where you going in this flapdoodle when you get it squared away? The moon is no limit anymore. Yes. I do love it Mister dumprat. I do. Swear on my monkey's tail.

3. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Hey Matt,

I don't know how I never saw your build thread, but I just read the entire thing tonight. Awesome truck. I really like the work you've put in...In my opinion, you should use that home-made grill shell over the '34 one - I love that one you made!

I'm looking at that tach you got a few pages back........ do you have a picture of the back side of it? That 90* gear adapter thing I was gonna send you came off an old industrial tach. I can send a picture once I'm home, but I thought I would reply while it was fresh in my mind. What I'm getting at is - if your tach doesn't have a ~ 1/2" diameter, straight cut gear sticking out the back of it, I'm not sure that adapter would help you... I'll still gladly send it to you though. BUT... what would help you is what this dude offered you below! That is the same generator that the Corvette used for their tach drives, AND you can purchase the tach drive reproduction from a Corvette restoration place. I know because I'm going through the same thing cloning a dual quad 'Vette engine. In my opinion, that's the easiest way to accomplish what you're going for. I'll PM you a pic of the back of the tach I had for comparison in about 12hrs...

Runnin shine likes this.
  4. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Not a problem DR, your truck, your build, your thread.
    Nobody is suggesting a single carb and exhaust for your period correct Chrysler Flathead 6.

Attached Files:

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What is in the nature of old men that they will start fights over things that should be fun?

Tim, Bondo Slinger and Flat Six Fix like this.
  6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Tim
    The tach I have runs at half the engine speed. It has. Standard threaded cable attachment on the back. If the drive you have is 1:1 I was thinking about running it off the end of the cam.
    But if it only has one gear that may not work.

7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2221.JPG IMG_2222.JPG
    Got my bitchin NOS distributor today! Super wicked. Thanks @paintslinger805 !

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Now I need a trash can condenser and some solid core wires!

Stogy likes this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

dumprat likes this.
  10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How romantic! ;)Did you get that for Valentines day?

dumprat likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha! Hardly! My wife had to pay the customs fee. She wasn't thrilled. Oh well I have lots of credit with her. I am a foot rub master!

Woogeroo, weeniewawa, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @dumprat I just located the origin of that cool old hotrod pic you posted a while back. That pic belongs to @The Rabid Whippet and it may actually be from BC...That was one of the best photo series I have seen on here.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bc-custom-car-associaton.821966/page-16#post-12318958

Nice vintage piece you just got by the way.​

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  13. Happy Valentine’s Day... Wyatt is going be pissed I picked you instead of him...:D I will win his heart back now that I’m done with yours!!! @runninshine sorry dear yours is on the way. Just many more boxes.

brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2255.JPG While not as cool as @Tuck and his full on machine shop I picked up my new to me lathe this week. A very clean craftsman commercial. Still has the original three jaw and drill chuck. Gotta love old guys who buy stuff and don't use it much. Gotta look and see if I can find a manual online for it.

16. bct

bct

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, what vintage? You know we can't use any post-'59 tools here. :rolleyes:

brEad and Stogy like this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not sure. Says sears and roebuck and Simpson sears canada on it, so am guessing pre 1970 but google says they were only sold until 1972.

Either way it is older than I am. And probably in better shape....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Duke

Duke

That thing is nice!

dumprat likes this.
  21. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a guy on Ebay that was selling reprint manuals....ozark woodworker I think....Cool score congrats!

22. bct

bct

I'd bet it is South Bend based. If it is let me know. I have an extra steady rest.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Cool thanks guys!
    Garrett it is an atlas or clausing based machine. The steady might work if the dimensions are close. I will pm you with some measurements

bct likes this.
  24. Old lathes are the best.
    I recently got a '64 Hercus 9
    Australian built South Bend 9A copy.
    Love it.

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I have a few old Craftsman tools, and they have a serial number stamped into a riveted tag. That number will give you the manufacturer date in a Google search, and sometimes you can find a link to an owner's manual pdf. I know I was able to find one for my drill press and table saw anyway. Nice score!

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

OK, Sorry this is OT but Sears did some great things with tools, guns, motor cycles, scooters, and evidently speed equipment. I wonder if there is an ALLSTATE MOPOR head out there somewhere? s-l1600-5.jpg

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

AD0D50AE-0C0D-4B85-AB0C-BB45850BA640.jpeg Picking away at the trans tunnel. A lot of fit and fiddle around to try and save foot room

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Are you going to make a little window with removable panel to allow access to the rearmost header bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya sort of. The bolt is far enough forward to clear the firewall. Need to get the headed off if possible, thus the cut out.

30. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

this has got to be the most esoteric project going on here