Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

If you're happy with it, cut it out. You can always make it bigger later if you want. Then make a cardboard grill with the bars or grid or whatever you have in mind, cover it with aluminum foil and stand back for a look. We wanna look too.

brEad likes this.
  2. Did you widen them? I did some years back and like to see how other guys do them.

3. The opening would look good and racey this way;)

4. I also think the template opening looks good how you have it.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I had a machine shop that does work on large trucks and machinery do them. They cut the outer ring off rolled a ring and then tacked and trued them. They would not do the final weld though, I'm guessing it was an insurance issue.

sko_ford, timwhit and Doctorterry like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Made a stainless grill surround the other day. Cut it out, started shaping and quickly realized my skills bending metal are really limited so I had my metal wizard buddy mess with it for about 15-20 minutes and Bam it fits. My thought was to get the bars in and polish it but now I'm thinking it will get a scotchbrite finish. IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2612.JPG

Atwater Mike, brEad, brad2v and 13 others like this.
  7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I like that grill surround. Nice touch on clocking the screws. Hell I like the whole build. Keep it rolling, it's good inspiration.

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ha you caught that. It will come off a dozen more times and I bet I'll clock the screws everytime.:)

LBCD, brEad, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Going a different route on my wheel selection. I was able to source 4 wide 5 rims, two 39 rear drums and two 37-8 front drums. All for the grand total of $25!!
    Man this is going to make the car. IMG_2626.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Greenblade, sko_ford, brEad and 8 others like this.
  10. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Agreed! I must be looking for wheels in the wrong ditch! where’d ya get em’ if I might ask.
    Those are gonna look bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I was telling my pops that I thought it would look Kool with wide fives. He says an old buddy had just given him three wide five front drums and backing plates and he had 5 wheels pac ratted away that I didnt know he had. This morning we went and got a 39 banjo for $50 pops wants the rear and I want the drums. So the whole deal was $25.

Greenblade, Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your a talented man @rusty rocket that's really coming together. The grille shells looks fantastic...actually it all looks fantastic.

13. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Man, and the stuff stays in the family, that’s kinda cool, good on you.

As stogy said, it looks fantastic

Stogy likes this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks guys.

Stogy likes this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I found this crossmember the other day laying in a junk pile( I'm thinking it is a Ford truck). Thought with a bit of massaging I could make it work. IMG_2627.jpg IMG_2628.jpg IMG_2629.jpg IMG_2630.JPG IMG_2631.JPG Looks like it grew there.

Greenblade, LSJUNIPER, brEad and 6 others like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So I had started another thread about torque arms on a banjo rearend. I figured out that just isnt going to work in my situation. So I had the cut offs from splitting my rear bones and this is what I came up with. IMG_2638.JPG IMG_2639.JPG IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2643.JPG At this point its just tacked together

17. Gavin Tittle

Gavin Tittle

Damn! Now that’s ingenuity at its finest (could be said about the whole build)

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Got both side ruffed in. Sort of gives it a race car nerf bar look. IMG_2647.JPG

brEad, brad2v, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  19. Yeah, I like what you did with the rear wishbones - that's pretty cool. I'm enjoying this build a lot, thanks for sharing it!

20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have had this pair old dodge tube shock mounts for years and I have found another set from an old dodge pickup so I will have a full set for the build.
    I did some cutting on the rear set. The curve on the mount is just about perfect to the curve on the kick up and it is spot on for lining up with the rear end. Yeah I meant to do that when I laid out the frame. NOT!!!:) IMG_2648.JPG IMG_2649.JPG IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2651.JPG

brEad, kidcampbell71, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

22. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

Really digging what you're building!!!

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Went on a road trip from Western South Dakota down to the Wichita Swap Meet this last weekend. I found a few small things for the car one being this Kool old Model T style steering wheel. This thing is so old the ring part has shrunk between the spokes and is now sort of square. The spokes unscrew from the rim so I might look for a new rim. IMG_2669.JPG

brEad, Stogy, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  24. sodakmini

sodakmini

Maybe find yourself a handy woodsmith to make a classy new steering wheel ring.... there is a kool YouTube video of honest charley garage building one. Been awhile since I watched it though.

25. I don't know how I missed this build, its outstanding. This racer is going to be so amazing when its finished and talk about low budget and what you can do with hard work. Please keep the updates coming. This what the old HAMB was all about.

Doctorterry likes this.
  26. abner36

abner36

Car is looking awesome love seeing the updates grill looks great !

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Damn I dont know anyone that handy.

sodakmini likes this.
  28. atch

atch

Somewhere on here, from a long time ago, there is a thread showing a wooden wheel rim being made. Maybe you or someone can find it. It turned out to be really good.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Built a grill insert the last few days. Using 3/8ths stainless steel rod rolled thru my 3 in1, still need to add two more bars. It didnt turn out to bad for this build but it aint no Dan Fink!! IMG_2682.JPG IMG_2683.JPG IMG_2684.JPG

moparboy440, sko_ford, brEad and 9 others like this.
  30. phat rat

phat rat

Hey if you don't like that grille I'll take it.