Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects They really are still out there....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gearhead-DK, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 392

Kickass.

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Quite the find, Congratulations. Please share when the time comes and thanks for a little of the European auto history.

lothiandon1940 and Gearhead-DK like this.
  3. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Just to fill out the "blanks" this will be a project of using left over pieces that I have collected over the years.

In early 2016 I saw an ad for a set of Ford V8 wire wheels.
    In one of the pictures, a little piece of the frame was showing...... the unmistakable look of a '32 frame.
    I called the guy, struck a deal, and picked up the frame, rear axle and a lot of bits off the car that was scrapped on that farm, to make the grain cart out of the frame.
    It is cut in front of the K-member and should be an easy fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was the normal kind of farm where everything was just left behind or shoved into outhouses.
    Not the best of conditions but hey, it was still there.
    Unfortunately the owners had gotten rid of 15 tons of scrap metal before I came, so I guess that's where the headlights, grille shell, hood and whatnot from that euro '32 sedan went :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Drylake

Drylake

Very nice! It looks in much better shape than mine! Solid start! Great find!

Nailhead A-V8 and Gearhead-DK like this.
  5. 0nedon

0nedon

What a lucky fella you are, I agree with the first post - get it on a frame and have some fun with it, can always change it later. Just an opinion

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  6. I hope you're leaving the Model A firewall in it? That's too damn cool!

7. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

It is rather cool in the shape it has now..... but I have no model A chassis and have to pair it with the one I do have.
    A reconstruction back to deuce specs is in the future, sorry guys :)

lothiandon1940 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  8. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

OUTSTANDING!!!!!! ;).

Ric Dean and Gearhead-DK like this.
  10. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Gorgeous!:cool: ....crazy story too how they fabbed up the car to be an A and the entire bottom 8" of the body and floor with what looks like an old car hood and some Hvac sheetmetal :eek:you have your work cut out for you lol!...looks like more will be revealed on the cowl has any one noticed that they've tapered the body bead and filled the cowl vent and put a model A style tank in it almost like they grafted the 2 cowls together not just stuck the A firewall in? I don't see evidence of that though when I look at the wear spots in the paint etc. to me it looks like it was stamped that way a nice even taper down to the A body bead size and even a but of a curve to the cowl quite different from American '32 cowl's.... I wonder if this could have been some type of factory late '31 model A? ...you have been very gracious toward the original builder of this model A mosaic ;)...but what if this is actually a rare factory '31-2 transition cowl? like they were behind on shipping B frame/firewalls to Europe or they had a surplus of A's?? if you look inside the cowl and it looks stock or very nicely modified (unlike the other work:rolleyes:) you might have something pretty neat-o

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

might also be worth asking the farmer which scrapper took the other stuff you never know they might have set the grille etc aside knowing its old

12. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Actually, most of the outer body is stock '32. The old guy swapped the floor and most of the subframe for a homemade floor/sub that would fit the Model A frame again.
    You got it absolutely right..... the original conversion included the top of a Model A tank to be grafted together with the top of the '32 cowl. There is evidence of a weld going across appr. 4 inches in front of the windshield. Looks like they used the stock '32 cowl sides and bent them in to fit the A firewall.
    Most of this is evident through the butchering and lack of cowl bracing on the inside.

I will need to buy a complete floor and subframe in order to line up the body properly. Other than that, it needs the lower part of the drivers side door skin, a cowl top with vent, a pair of rear wheel wells and some minor patches that i will fabricate myself.

No doubt a piece of work but again.... the only way I could ever afford a real Henry Deuce

13. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

I have ;)
    Story does not end yet though!
    Two weeks after I picked up the grain cart frame, a friend of mine calls and says, " I just found the engine that was originally in your frame"
    Turns out, he responded to an ad for a B-4banger. Upon collecting it, the owner tells him that it came from a '32 that was scrapped in the mid-60's to make a grain cart for a farm in the neighbouring town....... Go figure!!
    Even better, another week goes by and the seller of the B motor calls and says he remember the front part of that frame, lying in the field where he found the motor...... even had the front axle and all.
    We are going on another treasure hunt for sure! ;)

14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

That's quite amazing that a bunch more of the pieces have been located.

I would think that the survival rate of old cars must be lower in most of Europe than North America, what with the higher population density, closer markets for scrap, and the destruction (including scrap drives) of the last war.

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  15. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Well, in Denmark up until the early-mid 60's, it was not for all to own a car. Transportation was mostly mopeds, bicycles, scooters and the like. If you had a car you were most likely a farmer, businessman or politician ;) :)
    Having that in mind, a lot of the cars from the 30's and 40's were kept on the roads as daily drivers as late as the late 60's.
    The swedes, having better foresight on the vintage car deal, imported a lot of the early Ford V8's from Denmark.

Being a small country, of course we had to scrap a lot of cars just from the lack of storage space. Junkyards were always small businesses here. Lucrative but small :)

Still, many an old part is still to be found. Not many real "barn finds" left but a lot of cars in the hands of second and third owners still, that have collected them over many years.

16. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Mystery solved lol!
    hopefully he realizes that the spirit of this car is trying to put itself back together:D;) and will sell it
    Ok this gets better all the time! When you get there he will have the grille shell and firewall nailed to the side of the barn!......Now all you need is to run across a guy who remembers buying a roadster shell for a Model A project in the mid-'60s from a farmer who was scrapping it to make a grain cart and the whole car will be back together!

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Ok does anyone in Denmark remember buying a set of '32 fenders and a transmission from a farmer in the mid '60's who was scrapping it to make a grain cart?;)

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  18. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Hahaha! You never know if such a cry out might work ;)
    I am starting to believe anything these days :)

Ric Dean, dwollam and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  19. Nice find, some day i will maybe see it race the beach in DK...;)

Cheers, Carsten

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  20. This is the good vibes thread if there ever was one.
    Hope you never paint it.

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  21. Benny's Ford

Benny's Ford

It's fun to dream of a project like that! Congrats!

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  22. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

There is a good chance that you will ;) The race chiefs also want to have fun

23. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Thank you very much!

24. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Thank you :) I would love to keep the weathered look and will do my best to do so. Comes down to how much sheet metal will need to be replaced and how much of the old paint I can leave alone :)

25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

which color lol? I see traces of black, yellow, green and white under the red;)

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  26. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Good question :) Should I be lead to repaint it, I would be partial to a dark green as I have on my Euro Deuce tudor.
    But...... let's see if the look of it can be preserved.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  27. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Crazy how you guys over there come up with such cool old stuff, good luck with the build,

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  28. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

We used to have a lot of these cars..... especially model A's and the later V8's in all years. Fords were popular!
    I see you are in Dallas.... you know of anything interesting to see in Austin? I'll be passing through there in a couple of weeks

29. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Damn buddy, you should try to put your trip off for a extra 2 weeks, one month from now there is the biggest car show you ever seen in Austin ..
    http://lonestarroundup.com/

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  30. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Damnit! We are going coast 2 coast on motorcycles and can not delay take off

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app