Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dzus Fasteners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 2, 2018.

1. I have seen them used many times over the years in all kinds of racing application but are any of you guys using them on hot rods?

I am also aware that there are several variations from the original style dzus fasteners. HRP

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

had them on two of my past rods to hold the hood sections on. Slotted ones on the side hood panels on my '26 roadster, and winged ones on top panel on my '32 truck

4. A cheap source for the winged fasteners is the air cleaner and intake assy of an 80's Camaro at the wrecking yard. They are always smashed in a frontal collision, just take a hacksaw and cut them out and get the wire retainer and plastic hole from the base to duplicate in metal,for next to nothing. Nice looking as well, good for retaining drop down fuse panels.

5. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

I know they use them on the space station. Not a hot rod but it does move fast hahahaha

John Starr, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? HRP

Traditional Dzus fasteners

upload_2018-3-2_14-38-31.jpeg

Winged Dzus fastener

[​IMG]

indyjps, 3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

What is the period correct style for a 50's build? How have they changed over the years?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. I saw them on small aircraft from way back in the 50's maybe earlier. So, I used them on the hood sides of the sedan, but then I never put them on, because I like it open. Also seen them on race cars and race bikes.

I have the traditional style that I can open with a washer on my key ring.

9. Everything you would ever want to know.

DZUS turn lock fasteners—named after their inventor—William Dzus (pronounced "Zeus") refers to a type of proprietary quarter-turn lock fastener that is often used to secure skin panels on aircraft and other high-performance vehicles. Turn lock fasteners are also referred to as quick-action panel fasteners.

Invented and patented by an American engineer of Ukrainian descent William Dzus in the early 1930s. Dzus fasteners are also used to secure plates, doors, and panels that require frequent removal for inspection and servicing. These fasteners are notable in that they are of an "over-center" design, requiring positive sustained torque to unfasten. Thus, any minor disturbance to the fastener (e.g. vibration) will tend to correct itself rather than proceed to further loosening as it would in threaded fasteners. Turn lock fasteners are available in several different styles and are usually referred to by the manufacturer's trade name. Some of the most common are DZUS, Camloc, and Airloc.

How it works
    [​IMG]
    Figures 1...4 show the original Dzus fastener holding an aircraft cowling.

Use in Motorsports
    The first Dzus fasteners installed on a race car were installed by the Justice Brothers & Ed Justice sr. while working at Kurtis-Kraft in California. It was at the suggestion of Ed who was an A&E at Douglas Aircraft prior to WWII and had graduated from Fry Aircraft School in Kansas City, Kansas. The car the Dzus fasteners were installed upon was "Bullet" Joe Grason's Kurtis-Kraft midget. This was done while the shop owner Frank Kirtis was out of town. At first he was not happy with their alteration to his design, but later realize the benefit of using Dzus fasteners.

Thus,they have been in use with the automotive community for a long time. HRP

alanp561, grumpy32, 3W JOHN and 8 others like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Dzus fasteners OK on race cars, Fugly on street cars.

jimmy six, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. badvolvo

badvolvo

Thank you, didn't realize they went back that far, happy to see the KCKS connection, I'm at work in KCKS right now. I am using a few on my 70's style street freak build.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The first experience I had with Dzus fasteners was in 1977 when the fiberglass hood on my racecar went sailing over the guardrail at Woodburn Dragstrip (very first pass).
    Seems the previous owner had not used backup washers on the mounting tabs and when too much air got under the hood it said "I'm outa here".

I think the ones on my roadster are kinda sexy!
    My hood sides use a variation of the Dzus fastener made by Full-Bore Race Products. Instead of a screwdriver these use a 3/16" hex button wrench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Those are nice Denny,are you making any progress on the roadster? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  14. I may use some to hold the nose on my crosley, unless we hinge it. LOL

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Used them on my old 29 RPU to hold the hood top on. Shoulda checked with Gman0046, probably wouldn't have used the ugly things. :rolleyes:

Mick 29rpuatwendover1.jpg

16. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

We used the Full Bore design on our Bonneville car. They are far superior to the straight slot original design. The designer of this style of fastener, Roy Fjastad, just died a few days ago. He was a very innovative fabricator and a great racer.

John

Malcolm, 5window, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Lot quicker than the Bugatti "Mickey Mouse" eared body screws with safety wire. Bob

18. trollst

trollst

I got them on my 27, cool looking but I wouldn't use them again. When I flashed her up the first time, a tranny line blew off (not tightened by yours truly), sprayed oil all over the engine compartment and of course, smoked like a bastard. They take a loooong time to get them off even when you're panicking. I carry a screwdriver in the car in plain sight just because.....

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Does thinking about it count?

20. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

20170713_130106.jpg

They're holding my hood down...

21. I have been using Dzus fasteners for a loooong time, over 45 years, I acquired this tool about 30 years ago in Wichita... DSCN1812.JPG

22. That's a interesting tool. HRP

13800-2.jpg

Almostdone, stanlow69, pat59 and 2 others like this.
  23. Probably wouldn't be so ugly if they were painted to match... Just my 2 bucks. ;)

24. cavman

cavman

I must have installed thousands of them in Huey helicopters in the 60's. I can honestly say I've seen enough of them. They do work well, and have many uses though.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is a proper Apex tool for Dzus fasteners. Apex #4 is the common size used in cars.Works great. Not a screwdriver. the flight wrench is probably good too. But anyone who has used Apex tips knows they are very good. And for this 1/4 drive tip I just had to go up to the tool crib and grab a couple. upload_2018-3-2_15-52-45.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    stanlow69, grumpy32, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  26. clem

clem

^^^^^^^^^^^^ And I thought you were supposed to use a coin.........

27. Those were used on the third gen Camaros and Firebirds to hold the air cleaner to the radiator support on the TPI V-8s

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Met Ted Dzus, grandson of the inventor. I used them to hold the rock guards in place on my Airstream.

29. Used them to hold the Moon discs on my 5 window coupe’s wheels. I used the ones from Full Bore. Does anybody know if they’re still available?

Dean Lowe, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. F221EBBA-2B85-4BED-820F-54332BD7368F.jpeg C925FA09-6AFC-497E-ADBF-F17C121E66C7.jpeg

I’ve been thinking of buying a set of these just to play with. Don’t know what I would use them on but I’m sure I’ll find something to screw up.

A lot of guys are using these to fasten MOON disc’s to steel wheels and since I’ve developed a fascination with them lately, I might practice fabbing up a set on some old smoothies I’ve had in the shed.