Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Yellow Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 22, 2018.

1. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

2. I'm sure someone has posted a photo of Jake's coupe. 1534.jpg It's one of my favorite yellow Hot Rods! I took this photo of him at one of the NSRA Nats.

X38, mgtstumpy, Hank37 and 6 others like this.
  3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Wow....not even one mention....
    yellow_coupe_600.jpg
    UUGLIE2_back.jpg

Jet96, shortypu, Jalopy Joker and 4 others like this.
  4. I remember that yellow 40 coupe, and the Dodge/Plymouth Panel just sneaking into the first picture. I wish I had his license plate. Hell, I wish I had the car.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^ Is that the same yellow '40 that was in the movie "Hollywood High' ?

Bob

6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

You mean The Hollywood Knights? Yes

7. 1low52

1low52

I believe it's the same car from 'Hollywood Knights' (minus the ugly wheel/tires/flares).lol

8. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fenders and flares were never altered between these photos and when it was in the movie. In the movie it had some Appliance spokes, but the big aluminum wheels were what Tommy had on it the most.

9. 1low52

1low52

My old man memory may be fooling me again.
    Guess I just got a good excuse to watch the movie again tonight. lol

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-3_4-15-57.png 1959: Then: It was lined up vs another powerful 671 supercharged El Camino at Lions.
    upload_2018-3-3_4-18-53.png
    2017 Now…prepped and ready at the Lions Dragstrip Museum display.

Hello,

When we first started going to the Lions Dragstrip in 1958-59, there was one yellow painted pick up truck that made a lot of noise, ran like an FED, and had a bunch of stuff in the bed for traction. (actually, it was commercial house/business painting equipment and supplies) Charlie Ettien’s yellow painted truck was devastating when you had to line up against it at Lions.
    upload_2018-3-3_4-19-53.png
    Being bright yellow, it obviously stood out anywhere it went. But, looking under the hood in the Lions Pits made believers out of everyone. When I was invited to the set up days at the Price Transfer Lions Dragstrip Museum, I was able to catch the arrival of this yellow truck in the back lot, waiting for its spot on the main floor. I heard the sound as I was walking around, and investigated the origin. Of course, it has been updated and looks like it should be rolling up to the start line at Lions back then.
    upload_2018-3-3_4-20-44.png
    Jnaki

A lot of memories just started to flow at the museum. But, isn’t that what a museum is set up to do for the attendees? This yellow truck certainly did.
    upload_2018-3-3_4-21-39.png
    upload_2018-3-3_4-21-56.png
    Old Lions Dragstrip movies playing on the big screen in the background…Lions Dragstrip Museum @ Price Transfer Automobilia, 2017.
    FLASHBACK:
    upload_2018-3-3_4-23-9.png Drag News 1959
    A blown Chrysler engine with an automatic transmission used over 100,000 miles of daily driving, what an amazing feat. (A 5000+ lbs. truck slated for C/Gas... Our 671, SBC, 40 Willys rivalry/competition in the making... including the idea of extra weight in the rear to make the class rules.)

Ours weight set up for the Willys was a couple of large, 1 inch steel plates to shore up and cover the whole rear trunk area. We welded extra pieces right over the rear axle. Thanks for the idea...We easily made the weight rules for C/Gas in 1960.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

13. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

14. El Bombero

El Bombero

Roadster.jpg My roadster was "Bamboo" a VW color. Close enough to yellow. The car is in Germany now.

15. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

16. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Down town Beirut?:D

Deuces and Al Consoli like this.
  18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I'm not big on yellow but admit I do like this one. Street Rod of year.jpg

i.rant, Ron Funkhouser, Jibs and 4 others like this.
  19. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

20. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

21. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

01HS_7T5A0770.jpg

I've known this car since 1961 when my friend bought it as a running original. He owned and loved it until he passed away in 2016.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just a note - later model Street Rods with Billet wheels will be deleted.
    If you post multiple cars in one post with blending some Traditional with later model Street Rods - the post will be deleted.
    Moderators are not going to delete just the Street Rods.

Hamtown Al and X38 like this.
  23. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

24. John Starr

John Starr

Used to be yellow... still my favorite color, but not everything looks good wearing it I admit.

8EF7D919-C860-4EF4-ACEC-F3F8513F0536.jpeg

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-3-20_5-55-29.png
    Hello,

Some of the nicest things about traveling up to the Santa Barbara area is the actual drive up the So Cal Coast Highway. Once in the Ventura/Rincon area, the water looks/is colder, the sun reflects in different ways, and the small towns/enclaves start popping up. (La Conchita, Carpenteria, Summerland, etc.) But, there are some avid hot rodders in this area along with their great looking cars.

Nick Macaluso has a stable of pretty nice hot rods. This is one of the nicest RPUs in So Cal. A highly modified, 301 SBC, paint by Foose Project Design, Goleta and upholstery by Big Hearted Ken, Goleta, all make this RPU stand out. With the deep, yellow paint and black fender/highlights, you can’t help but draw your attention to the build.
    upload_2018-3-20_5-56-37.png
    Jnaki

And… on this photography trip up the coast, my wife and I were able to meet the owner of Project Design, Sam Foose, with introductions by “Big Hearted Ken.” There was also, some little kid running around the family compound…

jim snow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. oj

oj

Here's one I'm working on at the moment, a Brookville '32 with a Porsche yellow that is darker than the pic. DSC00565.JPG

27. rudestude

rudestude

One of my favorite 32's......but I guess some could say orange and some could say yellow....it could depend on how old your eyes are also....[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 27troadster

27troadster

I thought all real hot rods where yellow and had 3 pedals...no?

Bright Yellow hot rods for me started a couple years before I was born....in '69 my dad bought a brand new, bright yellow, SS Chevelle coupe, 396, 4spd, 4.11, chambered exhaust, bench seat, rubber floor mat (carpet was considered needless weight), from a race dealership in Grand Rapids, Mich. The bright yellow was very unusual for the late '60, and my dad, being of a great-depression-type-of-thrifty-mindset, also bought several gallons of matching factory bright yellow paint just in case his brand new car might need to be repainted in the future!....Well, no undercoating on a daily driver in Mich equals large parts of the lower portion of metal disappearing in about 8 years...(it went to the bone yard in '80)

In '78 (I was 5 years old) he rebuilt a '39 Plymouth, stock w/ Keystone mags, big and little Kelly tires, Mallory dual point dist and racing coil, and brown naugahide interior that my mom sewed. When it came time to paint, funds were a bit low, so he painted it with the only paint he had....Bright '69 Chevelle yellow.

The '39 is the hot rod I grew up with and eventually would drive in high school. (I still have it)

I painted this little roadster yellow in '08 after finishing it 20 years after starting it with my dad in high school.

Add to that John Milner's coupe....and there you go...all real hotrods ARE yellow, and have 3 pedals.....

Thanks HRP for the trip down memory lane, if I get a chance I'll post pics of the Chevelle and '39 from back in the day.

Kipp

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  29. bad4dr

bad4dr

My avatar does the talkin' for me in this thread! Oh, and Safariknut, your friend John Poole has good taste in cars...