Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BRIAN MADE ME DO IT: 34 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We could but @flynbrian48 is at COBO hall in the basement showing off his finished roadster while I tool away. He's my hero

Blues4U, loudbang and AndersF like this.
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

News alert: Bending and flaring 3/8 stainless sucks ass!
    Down at the regulator
    upload_2018-3-1_21-18-10.png
    then up to the filter mounted on the firewall
    upload_2018-3-1_21-19-14.png
    That is some tough stuff to bend! And sanding all of the red and blue anodizing off those fittings and polishing them sucks as well.
    Someone asked earlier for a close up on the steering column where it comes thru the firewall. Here it is, I had a buddy cut this on the flow jet and drilled and tapped it to hold the column. Then I spot welded it from the inside.
    upload_2018-3-1_21-22-48.png
    Tidy and you can install the interior trim plate easily First time I tried this and it was a success and looks good to boot!

3. cretin

cretin

Just to save you a bit of time and fingerprints, to remove the anodizing without sanding, submerge them in regular easy off oven cleaner for about 10-15 min. Removes the anodizing, but may turn the fitting black, but that comes off easy with a quick once over with a wire brush. I find that much easier and quicker to get those ugly colors off, esp in the nooks and crannies.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to try this tomorrow morning! Thanks!

5. cretin

cretin

I usually give them the wire brush treatment under running water while I'm rinsing off the oven cleaner. But, I'm sure you'll figure out pretty quickly what works well for you.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent advice!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandit Billy that has to be some of the tightest shortest bent section of tube between 2 fittings I have ever seen. How in the heck did you get it that short with two fittings on it and still get it to bend? Your doing a hell of job on this one!

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree on the hell of a job part.
    If you're asking about this bend, I believe that's not something that he bent, more likely a manufactured bend.
    upload_2018-3-1_21-19-14.png

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I concur!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes, that part is a Russell fitting, you are just used to seeing it anodized blue and red. I painfully stripped and polished it prior to install. That line had to make a fast move toward the ground right there to look right.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. It's insane, over the top & pretty far off the edge, off the hook and the chain.
    What else?
    Billy moved the bar way up on this one and he ain't finished yet.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am for this week! My hands are killing me, they cramped up all night. I have fresh cuts on top of old cuts...and I ran out of booze. I need a weekend of rehab and rest so I'm headed to the only place that makes sense, Vegas!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

SINNER!!!

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That’s a Damn Nice Hot Rod!!!!!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'a set of flathead push rods'??? Know it was a quick typo, but a true oxymoron!
    Hint: Ditch the 'Jack', refill the Crown...

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't catch that one :cool:. I need to hit the liquor store over in Portland next week (seriously, Oregon is 5 minutes away and the booze is $15 to $40 cheaper than Washington). I need another Crown Reserve. They have tan suede leather bags with the crown insignia embroidered on it. I have one but I need another to make a liner for the glove box. That and the whiskey is worth the price of admission!

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Kevin. In my mind it is just a pile of parts until the first drive, then it is a car. First burn out, then it is a hot rod!

chryslerfan55, 1956 F100 and loudbang like this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I know that I’d be right on that!!!!!!!
    Again, Great Job!!!!!:).

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Enviable 'stick-to-it-iveness', Billy. Beauty everywhere you look. This one hot rod has more well spent time in bracket design/mfg. and tube shaping (and polishing!) than most 5.
    When found, the square-weave carpet will certainly tie the room together...

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh yeah, I got my samples in the mail yesterday. 4 german square weave samples, Oatmeal, Tan, Honey and Brown. I laid them out on the leather with the top swatch and the dash, so far the basic Brown is in the lead with Honey being close second. I don't want the floor to be a distraction and I don't want light carpet. I'm thinking the Brown carpet edged in dark brown leather with tan stitching will look classy.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Sancho like this.
  21. Now even you are are saying it. "Classy." ;)

loudbang likes this.
  22. SR100

SR100

Detroit would make sense this weekend...

loudbang likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgive me Denny, it's been almost a week since my last post.
    Vegas...damn. Always happy to get there, always happier to leave! The only Ford I need upon returning home is Betty Ford!

Instead, I climbed back on the horse, poured a Crown Reserve and got back to work. Tonight was radiator night. I re-assembled the fan shroud, bolted the fan to it (electric and eclectic), added the over flow bottle and bolted it back on the radiator I painted a few weeks ago.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-24-54.png

upload_2018-3-8_22-34-50.png
    Of course, I forgot the fan shroud covered the name plate on the radiator and I detailed it like an idiot. Oh well, now only you and I know about it.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-26-20.png
    There's a nice shout out to a great radiator company and a more than perfect product!
    After I wiped off my finger prints I carried it (very heavy now) over and bolted it back on the car.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-28-17.png
    I added new hose clamps to replace the worm gear clamps, I like these.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-29-45.png
    I added the same detail to my front radiator rubber isolators that I did to the gas tank mounts, I covered them in frame webbing. You only get a glimpse of these with the grille and inner fenders installed kind of like watching a girl get in a limo on a Saturday night in Vegas.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-32-20.png
    Sorry for the gleam, it is getting difficult to get a shot without that! I installed a bracket on the left motor mount that holds the over flow rubber tube from the recovery tank.
    upload_2018-3-8_22-34-5.png
    It almost looks too good to add the grille, hood and inners. But that is exactly what I get to do this weekend!

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

So much eye candy!!!

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Getting dangerously close...

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like that comment! When I got off the plane Wednesday I went out to the garage and all of the ambition I had prior to my Vegas trip was gone. My eyes were not on the prize and all I could see was a massive amount of work ahead. 2 days later I feel it again, progress being made and light at the end of the tunnel. Dangerously close!

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

" Sorry for the Gleam " - There you go bragging again.;)

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I bought one of those shiny polished SS "V" spreader bars, now I'm thinking I can fix it with some Scotch-Brite.

chryslerfan55 and mkebaird like this.