Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to Uncle Sam's Pie Eating Contest (USPEC)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Feb 12, 2018.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jackson you better go on a diet.
    DSC_0094 (2).jpg

2. 62Furious

62Furious

I would like an Apple Pie, the way Grandma would make.

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hell man that was 2 years ago and I'm skinny as a rail now lol I've never seen that pic and glad I haven't I was a fatass lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

loudbang likes this.
  5. Quicksilver.jpg merc front.jpg Vintage.jpg
    It's my Merc I built specifically for the Meltdown stuff... tried to keep as period as I could without selling a kidney...

1947knuck, MUNCIE, SLCK64 and 11 others like this.
  6. Within the 3 brands available; Firestone, Radir and Towel City...Only Towel City lists an 8" tread width. Yes, Radir lists some 7" wide versions (with the flag in the tread:confused: which I'm not really interested in). However, if you allowed small block cars to run an 8.5" wide tread, then the driver would truly have 3 brands of tires to choose from.

I haven't registered for the event yet, but am considering it. I would need to purchase some rubber and kinda feel like the Towel City is my only choice. I've owned them in the past and have only good things to say about them. What are the chances that small block cars can be bumped up to a 8.5" wide tread width?

Or, should I just cut a 1/2" off my tape measure?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hot rod Brando that merc is damn kool I dig it man can't wait to see it

loudbang, enloe and Hot Rod Brando like this.
  8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well it's official I'm in and the dragster is ready to rumble

9. thx WB. I got it done just in time for the MD last year and broke it right on the line... so, it's on the operating table right now. I'll get some test runs in at the Steel in Motion gig in May. Dare to be different!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. Hey Chucky, within reason, the first year is going to have a little slop in it. :) So, the 8.5 Radir would be fine. We just won't allow anything bigger than that. Slippery slope and all... We didn't pick 7" simply because I think only Raidir makes a 7 anymore. And yea, ya got that flag thing... huh. I know my 8" Towels measure out a little weird anyway. But if anyone shows up with an odd ball 8.75 or 9 it's gonna be a no go... Gotta start somewhere! Ok, with all that being said, Towel City has always supported the Meltdown so I would recommend supporting them. It's truly the little guy. The grandsons of the founder run the place. I'm lucky enough to be here in NC so I drove to them to get mine mounted. Then watched them old school bubble balance them... good guys.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Chucky like this.
  11. imagejpeg_2.jpg Im in with lucky number seven. I will bring the 66 chevelle street car i have been pounding on since high school. Equiped with a 327 L-79 and a four speed it goes good. Its made the long haul on drag week competing with a sealed engine. With some juice on the radirs it hikes the tires good.

12. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

13. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I'm in, too. Have a pair of Towel City 15" x 8" cheaters on order. Should have the new rear axle housing in by next weekend and am planning on freshening up the engine. It's been 20 years this summer since I last went through the 301. If my spring bonus is big enough a brand new Muncie will be on order.

14. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

15. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Spread the word boys... this is the perfect event for the guy who just wants to have fun. I would like to see some cool old traditional hot rods have a little fun.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Received my paperwork last night as well. For whatever it is worth I am registration #1. Engine and drivetrain is pretty stock right down to the camshaft. Car is my street car and plan on keeping it mainly street but still looking forward to the fun. Have another one I am building but it is gathering dust as I have another project (1903 Cadillac) that gets all of my attention for the near future.

I have run pie crusts on this on the street for years. In this picture at the 2016 Meltdown it shows the slapper bars which I plan on replacing shortly-going with traction Masters. Funny thing on the slapper bars is I have several sets on the shelf but I had some Lakewood stickers that were a ½” too large so I made the slapper bars with some larger tube ( a ½” bigger) to fit the decal. I guess they can go back on the shelf as well. Hopefully I will run a little better numbers but I know I will have fun as I have always had at the Meltdown. Anyone considering the MDA and Byron 007-2016-meltdown-drags-hauer-1932-ford-dillon-1962-chevrolet-corvette2.jpg they are without question the best events out there IMO.

17. #33 for me! Can't wait for this.

18. Just for anyone else who was wondering...

I emailed Towel City because they list one tire as being "built on a new radial casing" (the 10" version I believe). It made me wonder what the other size tires were "built" on, so I asked and here's what they said:

Thank you for your email. All of our vintage tires are built on radial casings. In the case of the 8" Pie Crust Cheater Slick we offer it on both a used casing and new casing. We are still able to source used casings for this size but offer the New Casing as an option (additional $50 per tire). Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks again,
    Daniel
    Towel City Tires

19. neighborkidswillys

neighborkidswillys
    from byron

[​IMG]
    Hoping to join the party next year!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You guys are making me want to upgrade my 4 -bars to ladder bars. Next year.I don’t imagine a lot of people have said that

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

One of these should be delivered in about 2 1/2 weeks.

M20 Super Muncie.jpg

22. I'd totally be at this event with the Goldchainer except it's the day before my daughter's graduation party. I've got a ton of shit to do to get the house ready for all the guests.

20180301_173607.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    BigO, 1947knuck, 55belairx2 and 3 others like this.
  23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Learn how to delegate :)

24. Hahaha, @enloe.
    I'm afraid if I went racing the day before the grad party, I'd be delegating half my stuff to my future ex-wife. ;)

25. Roll this for 2018
    alingment.jpg

Plans for 2019

1-27-18-32.jpg

Hell yah! Can't wait

26. SLCK64

SLCK64

Subscribing to the thread.

Wont happen this year but my 64 Comet "Halley's Revenge" will be at next years Pie Contest and also at the Meltdown(If it gets picked of course, but will still be in the car show). Will be a gasser class more than likely since it was a 260/3 on tree but now is a 302(calling it a punched out 289 to keep it period correct I guess) and a 4 speed, roll bar and other period things.

LOVED the USPEC introduction races on Saturday nights show of the Meltdown last year. Looked VERY 60s and loved the story that was being told over the speakers.

Cant wait to see you all race this year!

27. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

544265DD-A551-41D9-AE8F-22039FD91B59.jpeg We will be there setting the Track on fire!!!

28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

[QUOTE="PBRmeASAP,

Plans for 2019

View attachment 3828995

Hell yah! Can't wait[/QUOTE]

Very Cool!!! 1932 Chevy Coupe???

loudbang and PBRmeASAP like this.
  29. Yes sir, 32. Been in the family since 1958. Hope to drive it this year, that would be the first time since 66-67...