Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs NEED SOME HELP - SENT MONEY - NO ITEM SENT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6cylindersovertexas, Feb 17, 2018.

1. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

Question from above:
    I assume you've called the seller???? What did they say???

2. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

FOR EVERYONES INFORMATION -
    THIS PERSON APPARENTLY USED HIS WIFE'S NAME:
    REBECCA McDANIEL
    112 NORTH 5TH STREET
    CHARLESTON, MO 63834
    PHONE NUMBERS:

3. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

ANYBODY KNOW ANYBODY IN CHARLESTON, MO??
    ANYBODY KNOW ANYBODY NEAR CHARLESTON, MO?
    I'D LOVE TO NAIL THIS SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF really likes this.
  4. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

What was the $$$ amount of the scam? Have you given this info to the Charleston, MO police department?

5. Squablow

Squablow

He used some random lady's name and he doesn't live in Charleston MO. You don't need to show ID or be in the city or even state shown on the money transfer to pick it up, you just need the number. If you do happen to track down someone by that name at that address, you are almost definitely tracking down the victim of identity theft.

Let that sink in. You do not have the name, address, phone number, or any contact info on the person who took your friend's money. That's how the scam works.

The money is gone, the scammer spent it and you aren't getting it back, nor are you getting any retrobution. Sorry to say it, but you and your friend learned an expensive lesson.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Do you really think if someone is going to scam you, they will tell you their real name and address? If so, I have a nice bridge for sale.

Squablow likes this.
  7. Sorry OP, your friends money is as good as gone, a hard lesson to learn at a cost.

OK GUYS seems the SCAM is; if you place a WANTED ad in the classifieds, some scammer will answer it and say they have the part at a great price. Then the proceed to ask you for the money through a transfer like the above person. It also happens when a seller asks for you to use EBAY escrow, when you are not buying something from ebay.

Bottom line, if they are not an Alliance member you should NOT be sending money to these people. Its as good as placing a wanted ad on craigslist and sending money to the scammer.

Also note if you are searching for hens teeth and you don't see it in the classifieds or on ebay. Then most likely whomever claims they "have it" scamming you.

Rare parts or hard to find parts should be found at swaps or sometimes ebay or here, in the classifieds for sale. but what ever you do, DONT wire MONEY or send a MONEY ORDER. Unless their your cousin and even then their suspect.

Even then when you find the parts check the photos on google search and make sure the photos are not ripped off from another ad.
    Also another way to check is to ask here to see if someone lives nearby- maybe they can go and vouch for the part- or even pick it up for you.

This is starting to happen as often as people buying Bumperboyz chrome.

hotrodharry2 and Squablow like this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The way to nail these scammers is simply to never fall for their scams. They stay in business and thrive for one reason; they continue to hook suckers that send them money.
    If everyone wised up to the point that they couldn't hook anyone, they might have to actually get out of bed and work a real job.
    Unfortunately for us HAMBer's, the scammers have done so well here, its become a honey hole lately.

abe lugo likes this.
  9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess you do not yet understand. Your money is gone. The name and address is fake. The person that lives at that address has no part in the scam. One more time for clarity--Your money is gone and it will never come back and you have no idea who the scammer was. OK?

WiredSpider and abe lugo like this.
  10. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

I understand, but it always takes me awhile to give it up.

11. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

That's one reason the Walmart scam is so popular to these douche bags, you don't even have to have your real name or live in the same city you say you live in to get the cash. While your busy chasing rabbit trails a thousand miles away from where they really are located under their real another name, and not the fake name or fake address they gave you. You'll never find them unfortunately!

12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Contact the state's Attorney General might be the only hope for your friend. Maybe they will bring in the FBI, but I'm sure your friend is screwed.

13. raymay

raymay

Several years ago we agreed to a Western Union deposit on a car in PA. I did everything I could to insure I had verification of the location the money was sent to and that the person had to show a valid ID to get the money. A few days later we were at the location with a truck to pay the balance and pick up the car. Everything about the location was exactly as described except there was no one there and obviously no car. Calls to the seller and his Girlfriend went unanswered. We went back to the website to see if anyone had dealings with the same individuals. Information came back with alias names they were using and complaints from others who lost much more money than us. We contacted both NY and PA police agencies who determined this was now considered a Federal crime because several states were involved. We were contacted by an investigator and turned over copies of our documents and got others to report their losses.
    Long story short, the scammers were caught and jailed in Colorado. They had posted car pictures found on the internet and listed them for sale. They used track phones that expired after they collected the money sent to them. Think about it. If they get several deposits for the same fake ad, they probable got thousands of dollars in a very short period of time. Their biggest mistake was the person (sellers Girlfriend) who picked up our money had to show a valid ID that I insisted on in our phone conversations and she agreed to it. Part of their sentence was to pay restitution to the people they scammed. We did get some but never all of our money back.
    We learned it does not matter how careful you are, there are plenty of scammers out there eager to take your money any way they can.

14. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

One thing I have done in the past is to use United States Postal Money Orders. I was told years ago that if you do so, the government is automatically "in the deal". I don't know how true this is, but I still do that to this day.
    I told my friend when he started this deal to do that, but he listened to the seller instead of me.
    I'm still not sure if the United States Postal Service Money Order every did or still does make a difference. Something to check out.

15. Squablow

Squablow

Postal money order makes it a federal offence (mail fraud), but the other good thing about a mailed check is if you send it certified, the receiver will have to show ID to pick it up, and the ID will have to match what's on the envelope. Or at the very least, they would have to give you a real address to mail it to, which would help.

16. ems customer service

ems customer service

17. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

6cylindersover texas - so sorry you got ripped off. It's a tough lesson.

I avoided a scam on the HAMB a week or so ago. I was contacted by a guy who offered to help with a vehicle licensing issue that I had posted. Nice enough guy, lives in the next state over, but not a member. A real talker. Offered to have his "partner" in California help me for a fee. What helped me avoid an issue:
    1. He wasn't a HAMB member.
    2. I knew from comments made to my post (and reading other posts) that licensing old cars in California is not easy. He was offering a service that sounded like magic. That's always a good test - is it too good to be true?
    3. I listened to my "spidey" sense, and something didn't seem right. Beware of folks who talk more and listen less.
    4. The internet cuts both ways, and it's easy to determine if someone is legitimate or not based on the considerable information about each of us on the internet. Keep asking for information and try to validate it. I asked for his personal information - name, home address, name and address of the partner and partner's business. He never replied with that.

So issue avoided. But these situations make me mad - sometimes a little frontier justice seems appropriate!!

18. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have bought & sold on here, The Ford Barn & ePay for the past 20 years. Have always used USPS Money Orders. Every now & then they will send a 7-11, Quik Stop or Mom & Pop"s store MO. I tell them nothing will ship for 60 days or I'll send their MO back. I did accept a Western Union transfer to a local Food Lion grocery store but only because they would give me cash (I was heading North & I agreed to meet on I-95 in NJ). Western Union will not cash their own MOs. I have been lucky in that I have only been "tested" a couple of times but it ends when I ask for the USPS Money Order or tell them that's how I'll pay. I have had my credit card compromised 5 times in the past 24-30 months, most recently 10 days ago. Fortunately my VISA bank alerts me if something unusual. The last was the worse - almost $400 at 7 different business from Concord to Charlotte to Belmont, NC, in about 3 hours. Shopping along I-85 going south. Ain't technology great!! As has been said often on here "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Buyer beware!!

19. adam401

adam401

Postal money order or PayPal are the only way to do a long distance deal. Seriously. I buy and sell on the internet all the time. Alllllllll the time! That is about as solid as you can get. Otherwise drive your ass down to buy it which these days is risky in itself.

20. Have you contacted the seller? It is flu season.
    The reason I mention flu season is that I am on round number 2 since the 15th of January.

If you sent a postal money order you can see if it has been cashed and if you are certain that the seller is going to rip you off contact the post office. They are really funny about mail fraud.

21. 0nedon

0nedon

I was contacted by a fella, said he had headlite rings I had posted "wanted" in early ford 30 days ago. The offer came through my outlook email not P.M. through early ford. I had been reading about these scams so I asked where he got the listing-early ford or hamb, just trying to be careful. He did give me his name and said he was a member of early ford club and I guess took offence of me asking -said the price just went up from 20 to 50. I politely told him he could keep them. I had told him I was just trying to be careful. Seems sometimes either way you lose. Oh well there is always more out there. Good luck Guys

22. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Guess it's easy to raise the price on a non item when you've been caught!!

clem and XXL__ like this.
  23. XXL__

XXL__

Because you posted that, those iridum plated right-hand threaded framistan valves I'm selling will cost you double!

24. Better to loose out on a deal, than loose your cash. :)

NWRacing likes this.
  25. I have never ripped anyone off, I am not an Alliance member. You are as full of crap as a Christmas goose. What do you think that this is England and you can by a title? Alliance membership is a good thing it helps keep the doors open but it is not instant honesty, it just means that you are an Alliance member.

Here is the deal anyone who sends cash to anyone me or otherwise via Western Union or Wally World or the like is asking for trouble. Western Union you can actually be anywhere in the world and snag the cash. All you need is the order number and in some cases know the answer to the security questions.

There actually is some recourse, Western Union is currently reimbursing Americans who have been ripped off (television is your friend) I think that you file a grievance with them.

I never cruise the wanted ads, I probably should, I also never post my wanted in the wanted section. If I want something I know a better way, won't post it on the forum if you are interested messaging will work or give me 5 minutes and read this post again. All of it

wraymen likes this.
  26. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I certainly do not agree with that. I have been on this board for a long longtime and I do most of my posting on PM to stay away from confrontation, because my mouth has got me into more trouble than it will ever get me out of.

0nedon and XXL__ like this.
  27. Never get you into trouble wit me. Probably better save the really dirty stuff for PM though. :D And even in PM stuff about someone's Mom is off limits but you and already agree on that point. ;)

28. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I have only been burned by one. He is a member but not alliance member.. He said he would refund my money, but didn't. He said he had baby moons that fit a 40 ford. They didn't come close. I can not imiage what they may fit. I did a report but he is still selling under Burney and is listed as a member. Lucky it was not a lot of money. I always use postal money orders and I have not reported it to post office. I did tell the post master and she said I could file a complaint if I wanted.

29. You are an alliance member if you contact @Ryan he will help you.
    The way that it works is if you are an alliance member you have a recourse though the board. The fella you purchase from does not have to be an alliance member. You can also give whomever bad feedback, if you are not happy with your service from a seller that is what feedback is for. It gives the rest of us a heads up prior to spending our hard earned cash.

OK never mind about the feedback seems to have disappeared.