Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. I don't believe Willard ran Stock with the Biscayne...Only Super Stock. Also, I thought it was white, though I never saw it.
    Jimmy Parker would know.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

It was definitely running Super Stock when I saw it, it was in '72 I'm sure and that's the year NHRA did away with traditional stock and we all went to SS. I thought about it later and he was at the Warner Robbins points race after that running SS, he did a dry hop behind the line and when he put on the brakes the right front brake drum shattered and parts of it went everywhere. I don't remember seeing him after that but heard or saw results were he was running the Chevy II wagon.

3. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Gary, the only one I have is visual one and the only thing I can see in my mind's eye is the trunk lid and it's pulling away!.
    Honestly, I don't think that he ran the car very long. Perhaps Jimmy can remember it. I recall that it was fairly nondescript, had minimal (if any) lettering, and was a silver-gray color?

4. loudbang

loudbang

Marv Ripes day :rolleyes:

At 68 Winternationals

marvin ripes 68 winternationals.JPG

marv ripes 2.JPG

marv ripes 3.JPG

marv ripes.JPG

marv ripes1.JPG

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Loudbang....the second picture is Tony Janes. Not sure about the third one but do not believe it is Marv Ripes. Sure Mr. Norton will fill us in.
    I was told that the wagon still looks the same and is in Pennsylvania.

Bowtie Coupe, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  6. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Damn, Loudbang! That's kind of like going to a high school reunion (except that those guys don't really tip the beauty scale as far as some of the debutantes that I remember in poodle skirts and turned up collars in the 50's.

Actually, there were multiple "camps" of Junior Stock racers in the late 60's in SoCal. (Gary Glover should be ready to jump in with corrections and additional comments.) The most prominent of the very tight groups was "The Valley Boys." I don't know exactly when that name developed because I was out of the state for 14 months between July 1968 and September 1969 and it is my recollection that The Valley Boys really took shape around the time that the Car Craft series entitled, "Building the Ultimate Junior Stocker" appeared in late 1968-9) Counted among the members of the unofficial roster of "The Valley Boys" were Joe Allread, Marv Ripes, John Barkely, Bob Lambeck, and our own Gary Glover in addition to a number of others. who came and went. In this reference, the "Valley" in question was the San Fernando Valley located north and northwest of Los Angeles. At one time, there was a drag strip in San Fernando but I remember also seeing those guys in "our valley," the San Gabriel Valley, that lies east of Pasadena and northeast of Los Angeles by about twenty miles. The San Gabriel Valley was home to the track where I first became involved, San Gabriel Raceway (it closed in 1963 but Dave Kempton was the tech man and it was a hotbed of activity for Stockers up to that point. I saw Bruce Morgan, Dick Landy, Gas Ronda, Les Ritchey, Bill "Maverick" Golden, Bill Hoefer, Bill Hanyon, and a host of others race there in Stockers, Super Stockers, and A/FX before it closed.) Fast forward a couple of years and Irwindale opened about three miles northeast of the former site of San Gabriel Drag Strip. For the uninitiated, the site of Irwindale is currently occupied by a huge Miller brewery and no vestige of the old track remains. Further east of Irwindale lies the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, site of two NHRA national events per year in these times but open as a regular drag strip every Sunday during the early-to-mid 60's.

Returning to today's photos posted by Loudbang, of course the top photo is of the West Coast Father of Powerglides, Marv Ripes. Just exactly which '57 that may be is unclear those guys traded, swapped, bought, and sold cars so often that I could never keep up but that's Marv, no doubt about it. The second picture is the car that I think was originally built by Big John Barkley and then sold to Tony Janes. Both John and Marv were involved with it at one time. There are many stories about that car but the most prominent in my memory is the one told to me first-hand by Tony. He took the car to a points meet in Carlsbad one year, set a national record, and showed up for teardown with only a Crescent wrench and a screwdriver for tools. (Tony has never been all that mechanically inclined and he'll admit it to this day.) The car was painted yellow on one side and blue on the other but it had gold leaf lettering and, in its day was a very striking combination.

I don't remember the paint job on the car in the 3rd picture but there's no doubt about that smiling face. Big John was at the top of his game between 1967 and 1971, the end of the original days of Stock. The paint job in the top picture is the way I remember the car that won the '68 Winternationals. This might be the same car but I'm not sure.

The fourth picture is, of course, Marv again, pre-'57 Corvette.

The fifth picture is the really pristine, orange '57 wagon that Marv built along with s partner to two. I think that Tony may have been involved with that project but, if I recall correctly, it came after the Corvette. That car was running the same FI, hydraulic dammed (250 horsepower) combination that worked well in the Vette. I believe that was the car that Marv was running when Stock became Super Stock at the beginning of the '72 season. They found out fairly quickly that the FI motor didn't respond to the liberalized manifold rules allowed by Super Stock and it was sold to a racer near Pittsburgh, PA and it is my understanding that it truly does exist in the same form to this day.

During our grandstand bull session at the Winternationals a couple of weeks ago, John, Tony, and I talked at some length about the way Stock (and Junior Stock) Eliminator was structured and how that affected the on-track racing.

In the first place, only class winners were a part of the "Sunday Show." It was very common for really good drivers to be eliminated during class run-offs at major events without ever having a shot at the big trophy or the best money. Most people built their own motors or had close friends build their motors (note the name "Joe Allread" on many of the Valley Boys' cars). That meant that the choice of cars had to be made very carefully and led to some odd combinations in all brands. Having the second fastest '57 Bel Air 2-door hardtop in town could mean that you NEVER raced on Sunday but the same motor in a four-door station wagon might be a free pass into the Show. Really successful Stock racers might have had multiple bodies in their backyards complete with lettering and much of the needed accessories. It might become necessary to swap to another body within a couple of days if the record for a combination was "buried" by another racer over a thousand miles away.

In the second place, all dial-ins during eliminations were based off the existing class records. Setting a record carried the bonus of extra championship points so anyone's very competitive car on any given weekend could be rendered a pile of junk if there was a record-setting meet at any of the "mineshaft" tracks anywhere around the country (among the "mineshaft" locations were Atco, NJ, Suffolk, VA, Englishtown, NJ, Fremont, CA, Half-Moon Bay, CA., Long Beach, CA. There were others but you get the idea. Hint: sea level was a plus!)

In the third place, not all class winners were capable of running below the national record. Out of twenty or thirty cars in the field, sometimes only half could be expected to "run the number."

In the fourth place, tires were limited to 7" width and the compounds and the track prep left a lot to be desired at most venues when compared to today's conditions. That made station wagons particularly desirable and driving an A/SA on that rubber was a definite challenge. In fact, driving anything on 7" tires with six pounds of air pressure could get dicey.

Good times!

c

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chuck
    Thanks for the first hand play by play as you experieced it, for many of us; it's almost like being there.
    I had not quite reached drag racing puberty until about 1970 so I missed the bulk of all this but I was able to follow it in Car Craft, Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, etc.
    I did have a friend (older) that campaigned a 66 Belvedere I 4 speed street Hemi here in Div. 6 in SS/D about 1970/71. Because of this I was able to go to many of the NW tracks helping him. I witnessed a lot of heavy hitters such as Paul Smith, Cal Method, Ralph Van Papegham, Cal Quihepama, among others.
    Thanks for jogging some good memories.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  8. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

The most prominent "Valley Boy" omitted was John Dianna. Couple of others that were partners on my sedan delivery were J.R. Smith and Gerry Davis.

9. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Of course! John Dianna's name was on the Corvette. How could I forget? I also remember Gerry Davis from the Irwindale Championship Series during the '70s. Don't think that I ever met J.R. Smith. Thanks for the editing.

c

Bowtie Coupe, Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

John Dianna was posted long ago one of the all time FAVORITES we don't forget him EVER

11. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

J.R smith was a friend of mine from WV. He helped John Dianna with his Dusters. He lives just across the river from me now.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Evickberg

evickberg.JPG

Fred Gray Legal posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

Fred Gray Legal SWI ^66.jpg

George Vestali Poppycock

george vestali poppycock checked ok.JPG

Gerry Robison

gerry robison.JPG

Golonka Bros Ice Wagon Yes posted before but this one is much bigger. What a beauty

golonka bros the ice wagon BEAUTY chexcked bigger.JPG

13. This one would be high on my list today...with unlimited financing, of course.
    Four speed legal again, no roll ball required in N/Stock.
    283/ 245 , knocking on the 11's !
    Of course, you could probably buy a new COPO for less.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  14. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Rich Evick is still in the Toledo, Ohio area as of the last time I spoke with him a couple of years ago. Don't know about the car.

Tom 57 150, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Gunning Bros Jolly Green Giant

gunning bros jolly green giant a checked ok.JPG

gunning bros jolly green giant b check.JPG

Hydrophobia

hydrophobia1 and stock.JPG

hydrophobia2 and stock.JPG

hydrophobia3 and stock.JPG

hydrophobia4 and stock.JPG

16. loudbang

loudbang

John Barkley Pomona finals

john barkley pomona finals.JPG

John Barkley

john barkley.JPG

john barkleya.JPG

Marv Smith Gold Dust

Marv Smith Gold Dust.JPG

McMaster & Gunning

McMaster & Gunning.JPG

Mickey Thompson

Mickey Thompson.jpg

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

A friend sent this photo from the 2016 Winternationals, not knowing I'd much rather have a
    photo of the Barkley/Ripes car. I Imagine this post will be gone soon.

B 10 - Pomona 2016 5.jpg

18. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

This car?
    [​IMG]

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Yep, works for me!

Tom 57 150, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

This one? LOL :) AND they get BIGGER if you click on them

john barkley check.JPG

john barkley.JPG

21. Lyn Smith

Lyn Smith

Found this car on a old Ind. dragstrip site.Says it was a 283 fuelie car that won "a lot of trophies." 1479035_10201849462412505_880464242_n.jpg

22. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

23. loudbang

loudbang

More Marv Ripes :)

marv ripes a.JPG

marv ripes.JPG

McMaster & Gunning

McMaster & Gunning.JPG

Miller Bros Mr. Diplomat

miller bros mr diplomat.JPG

Moonshine

moonshine.JPG

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Attached Files:

25. loudbang

loudbang

Skip Assay

skip asay.JPG

Smyly Buick posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

Smyly Buick SWI66.jpg

Snake Pit Express

snake pit express.JPG

Tijuana Taxi

tijuana taxi.JPG

Weibell Bros & Engstrom Black Light

Weibel Bros & Engstrom  black light.JPG

26. loudbang

loudbang

Mr 265 Becky Willman

mr 265 becky willman.JPG

Mr Twister Bill Niedergesan

mr twister  bill niedergesan.JPG

Mr. Zip for sale

mr zip sale.JPG

Nelson Chevrolet

nelson chevro.JPG

Overtaker at Richmond Dragway

overtaker at richmond dragway.JPG

27. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'd like to buy Mr. Zip for $500 and he can keep the rear end.

Tom 57 150, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  29. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

This is not the Mr. Zip car that I remember or was later painted. Wayne had a black 57 sedan delivery that I'm sure ran stock, it was very clean and had all the optional chrome on it and I'm sure I've seen pictures of it on various threads, maybe this one. If I'm not mistaken Wayne runs Zip Corvette parts now. The Olds rear end tells us this car was probably run in modified production as rear ends were looked at very closely in the early days and it wouldn't have been legal for stock.
    I don't have much luck using the search engine on this site for "NHRA Junior Stock", any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  30. He may have run MP at some point, but he's clearly running Jr. Stock in this pic.
    57 Chevy SD VA.jpg