Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 5 bolt Ford bellhousing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3speedoverdrive, Feb 28, 2018.

1. 3speedoverdrive

3speedoverdrive

Will a 5 bolt early 1965 Ford C4 bellhousing bolt on to a later model C4 trans? In other words, can the 5 bolt bell housing only be removed from the C4 and then bolted on to a later model C4? I'm going to sell the bellhousing {5 bolt} seperately from the trans if this is doable. 20180226_162214.jpg
    Harold

2. 3speedoverdrive

3speedoverdrive

Thanks for the quick reply........

3. No, that's not true; the five-bolt C4 bell will fit some later C4s, but not all. There's supposedly 32 known different C4 bells and they don't all interchange. It's tough to get a definitive answer as to what fits what... As near as I can determine, the five-bolt C4 bell will fit 65-72 C4s, but may or may not fit some later versions.

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

I removed the 5 bolt bellhousing from the C4 in my car and bolted on a 6 bolt when I swapped in a 302. So I would say yes it's possible but there are going to be variations to be aware of. Flex plate size/ tooth count, etc

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I stand corrected, thanks. I tried to do some research to back it up, but I think I ended up even more confused.

I apologize to the OP for posting incorrect information. I'm going to delete my post.

It appears the 5-bolt '65 bellhousing will interchange with any other 157-tooth case-fill '64-69 C4.

After that, I'm pretty confused!

http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm
    http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/c4-transmissions/415028-once-all-c4-c5-case-fill-pan-fill-id.html

6. It's a murky subject for sure. I've seen both '65-69 and '65-72 as interchanging, and differences between 'case fill' and 'pan fill', plus the 'big bell' vs the 'small bell'. Some bells will interchange as-is, some need mods to make it work. Different torque convertors and input shafts is another issue.

Personally if it were me, I'd just swap a '65-up motor in and eliminate the issue. 'Dress' it as the 260 and nobody will know the difference...

Not an issue with most other automatics as nearly all have the bell/case as one piece.

7. 3speedoverdrive

3speedoverdrive

Gotgas, no apology needed. I just wanted to represent the item i'm selling honestly and accurately.
    Picking up knowledge on a daily basis......

8. Generally, the only guys really looking for these want them for a 'correct' restoration (usually a '64.5 Mustang), so they would be using the 'correct' trans too. Simply identify what it is, let the buyer sort out if that's what they need...