Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today, in the land of Geometry idiots with co morbid spatial recognition issues.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Feb 22, 2018.

1. I was asked. My only answer was that I have not done one this way.
    I hate not having a long drawn out technical answer

loudbang likes this.
  2. Check your pms.
    Where did you ask? I'll answer there maybe

loudbang likes this.
  3. Meat and potatoes are all gone so it's
    Just Milk
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy

Mr. 31, I am really happy to see someone using some determination do get something right. I have spent some time fixing others work also. It seems that if something does not fit it is ok just to install it where it does fit or looks better. Your work is fantastic and the owner does not probably know rare you are.

5. It’s coming along nicely!!

I see this crap all the time in my line of work, mechanics getting paid to fix stuff and just bubble gumming it together , doing the bare minimum, or winging it and everything turning to crap. Do they own the problem? No they blame the customer, the parts, the weather .... whatever they can to get paid and move onto the next paying job. Drives me nuts at work, we get a new customer and for the first 6 months to a year we chase butchered equipment trying to make it safe and right again.

This thing is nuts, almost as bad as the r!!t rod elpolako posted a few years ago with the pipe wrench in the steering and the nickles holding the floor together!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do real nice work there son!

31Vicky with a hemi and loudbang like this.

7. Thanks ! It's sad when "pros" mess up and have no professionalism about correcting it. The thread has been gutted. The "real" stuff, the hard stuff, the thinking parts, the OT parts are gone.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Thanks Billy.
    This one isn't anything like yours though. This guy has a budget :)
    The target is nice and tidy with a few tricks so it has the illusion that someone cares.

loudbang, pat59 and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. 31vicky the illusionator :)

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  10. I like that
    :p:D

loudbang likes this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I do interiors. I always tell the customer, the vehicle has to be finished before it comes to me. If it is a complete rebuild, make sure you put at least 100 miles on it. Driven and perfected. For the most part, this fixes tear downs. Don`t proceed until the step done. When not done this way, Taking the door panel off 6 times is the answer when things are not done in order. . Good work sir. A good teaching lesson for everyone.

12. Thanks !

That's very sound advice.

I know how you (or anyone including myself) get to place to be able to give it.
    It goes something like this: usually someone tells you, then you don't listen, then you realize why they told you, then you pay the consequences, then you can tell other people. Ahhhh but they don't listen just like you didn't listen. Then you find out the someone that told you didn't listen the first time and that's why they got so smart to be able to tell you. The circle goes around. And adversity, grief, trouble, ass ache and extra expensive work seems to be the best teachers.

Maybe a good lesson but this is easy and I'm not as good of a teacher or explainer as those listed above.

loudbang and stanlow69 like this.
  13. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’ve found that it’s cheaper to learn from other people’s mistakes.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If you know it's a mistake then yes. Other wise?

15. The blind lead the blind on a daily basis. It's standard operating procedure.

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what this "budget" is you speak of but if it 's cool I want one.

17. Well, the best definition of "budget" is you tell the money where to go instead of wondering where the money went. A Great concept in theory.

For me it seems that it doesn't matter if I make $20.00 for the month or $20,000 for the month it's always just enough.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the front I am wondering if the "kit" was a universal kit like I have and who ever put it in didn't trim the upper control arm mounts to the specs given in the instructions. The "we can make it lower if we leave these taller" syndrome.
    The instructions for the universal kit that I have are pretty explicit as far as measurements and angles go as shoddy as the assembly work on the crossmember is.

loudbang likes this.
  19. That was asked & answered in detail. Then deleted.
    So I won't be doing that again here.
    One word answer for your wonderment- no.

The37Kid, Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  20. That's better 2-3 *:cool:
    image.jpeg

Remember where that engine started 7*!:eek:
    image.jpeg

To get there, I went up on the Trans as much as I possibly could, I fought for a 1/16 here and another there and got myself an entire inch. The limiting factor there is the bell housing to the beautifully finished flat floor in the truck. (Spatial recognition)

Upfront inSwapped to the smaller balancer and then let the engine go down in the front as close as I would dare let the balancer get to the rack. Not enough still to much angle on the engine. (Geometry)
    Then I let engine go down to touching the rack. Not enough
    Then I unbolted the rack and let the engine go down some more completely violating the space once occupied by the rack- By an inch and a half.o_O
    ( Spatial issue)
    Sorry No pics of that issue here.

To satisfy spatial issues and geometry:) (are you all catching the title yet)
    One thing I'm contemplating is a small body lift or cutting the floor.
    The body lift would let the Trans come up let the front come up and save the trim guy re-work,,,, and kinda sorta but not really save me rework up font. The body lift would really jack up my perfect ride height and make rework there front and back any way. I'm guessing the trim guy is gonna see this again at least for a Trans tunnel cover. The other is to throw some rework up front and get the crazy OT front end stuff to fit and work as it should with an oil pan nip and rear steer.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    loudbang, j hansen and Johnny Gee like this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Been there. I had to put a 32 Ford firewall back together because the person before thought bolting the trans to the aftermarket frame was easiest. It to was 7 degrees up and high.

loudbang likes this.
  22. If this was getting built like Normal ,,,,,
    ( "IF" - oh how I love to hate that word, IF a frog had wings he wouldnt have to bump his ass on the ground every time he tried to fly." Frogs don't try to fly, but if they did)

But , If it were a normal build here's where the body goes on and the Trans tunnel gets cut in and fabricated. No big deal right? Nothin to it but to do it.

"But" is another one of those words and so is "normal" right?
    The proper understanding of the word "but" is something like this. Fill in the blanks
    _________(this is what you want to hear) __, BUT _________(this is how I really feel)
    And normal - who says what normal is any damn way.

Now "if" (ha) you have all three words in one thought ,,, "if" "but" and "normal" something is going really bad for someone.

But, it were a normal build ,,,,

loudbang and rust&patina like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better to have the trim guy have to redo the carpet than turn out a truck that looks wrong.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Yeah, I think it's better

loudbang likes this.
  25. I said was just going to stick to the milk and baby food and leave the meat and potatoes out , but If you're up for a read, check out the link.

So one might begin to wonder,,, if 3/4" of a move in the right direction means this much, well what the hell happens if it's moved 1-1/4 in the wrong direction ????? My first guess would be that it matters greatly -
    3/4" + 1-1/4 is 2" right?

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0607phr-car-handling-tech/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Exactly. I've only spoken about things with the engine and trans. Let me talk drive shaft so as not to make the list longer than need be here. Besides the starting angle being wrong, clearance was out the window as well and trans needed to be moved forward and down because a frame made for a 700R4 isn't for a TH350 by dimension. So who was this bad for. The person who own's the 32 and me who has to fix it. The very same thoughts that ran thru your mind run thru mine. Therefore just like you fixing a project that started wrong is because no thought nor knowledge was but forth. Tradition or style had nothing to do with it. Wrong is wrong.

27. Budget36

Budget36

Re: Making a trans tunnel.

TF trucks came in column shift or granny 4spds, the 4spd trucks used a different trans/floor pan with a hump built in it, the column shift trucks had the flat pan.

I assume, maybe the AD trucks did as well?

You might be able to source a 4speed pan for it? Might save some work and get you about 1.5-2inches at the front of the transmission.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Thanks for that little info

loudbang likes this.