Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

HOLY SHIT STOGY, That it !!!!!!! I'm really digging that.

sodakmini and Stogy like this.
  2. You are an artist !!

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I have the same belts in my 1960 bugeye. It was taken off the road in 61 used as a hill climb car in southern NY northern PA. Had a makers label on on strap but was illegible. They do look aviation related, but mine had the anti sub strap (crotch binder) don't know if military belts used those. But stick to your story. An the flames front, I think they take away from the lines of your design. I could see it with a dark maroon frame, orange engine, and a cream body.

This one looks nice IMO

[​IMG]

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@plym_46 I will say with the renderings I did, the definition as in seams, curves body lines and such are not defined as they are covered with solid color perhaps making your decision against perhaps premature.

That is a nice racer and yes those scallops look awesome...super detailing and workmanship in these for sure.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're all artists at something. I often refer to the creation of these jalopies/ hotrods & customs as a form of art...purpose built perhaps sometimes but still works of art and I stand by my opinion.

I don't know if your comment was directed at me but thank you if it was and if not I mistook it.

kiwijeff and King ford like this.
  6. phat rat

phat rat

I agree this is right

Stogy likes this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Hey it looks like a car! IMG_2555.JPG IMG_2557.JPG IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2559.JPG

8. It's got great lines & lots of character. Really cool.

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Dig it .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks guys. Really need to find a 3 speed top loader for my Dodge flathead six so I can keep plugging along. Transmission donations will gladly be excepted:)

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Move in for our local indoor car show. Everyone was digging the masking tape hood! IMG_2567.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    brEad, brad2v, Tim and 10 others like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I like the masking tape hood too! I used to have cardboard seatcovers in my sedan. All kinds of household items work great for automotive purposes. ;)

brad2v likes this.
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Makes me think a fabric hood like a tonneau cover might be a good idea for a hood-less car. Roll it up and throw it behind the seat. If you get caught in a rain storm it would snap on quickly and keep the tire spray from filthing up all that hard to clean stuff in the engine bay.

14. alchemy

alchemy

A tonneau bonnet.

sko_ford and ratrodrodder like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont think it will get a tonneau bonnet:)

Doctorterry likes this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

All set up. I can not believe how many people are digging this thing. It is so weird and my sheetmetal work is something to be desired but the hotrod and race car crowd really think its Kool! IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG

sko_ford, brEad, juan motime and 5 others like this.
  17. phat rat

phat rat

I agree with them

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thinking about how to fab up a foot well/floor. This is a bit overkill but I think this is what I'm going to do. I have several pieces of Ford torque tube that I have cut in quarters then welded to a piece of angle iron. I will cut it to match the contour of the frame and bolt it to the bottom of the frame and filled in in the center with 16 gauge. IMG_2575.JPG IMG_2576.JPG

brEad, juan motime, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sort of the same line as this ole guy. IMG_2577.JPG

kiwijeff, cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Did a bit more work on the footwell/floor. I will have to notch around the transmission and driveshaft. Also got the rear wish bone bungs and tie rods put together so I can get the rear end tacked in. IMG_2578.JPG IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2580.JPG Looking at the pictures it looks like its time for another shop cleanup. Shit where does that mess come from?

brad2v, juan motime, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Had time today to tack the rear end in. IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2586.JPG Also got the sides and back of my footwell perimeter ruffed in. I was going to add the front but I think I will wait until the motor and trans take their place. IMG_2587.JPG IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2589.JPG

brEad, juan motime, 40two and 2 others like this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

IMG_2596.JPG A friend of mine is doing metal work on a 59 el camino, the owner of the car is a kool guy. We were sitting around talking about the single seater and he asked if I was going to run a hood. I told him I wanted to do something simple and use lunch box latches to hold the top to the sides. He says I have some of those I'll give them to ya. So the other day he gives me these latches and tells me he had bought a bunch of military surplus years ago and these were in with all the stuff. They are funky old n.o.s. latches that were never installed on anything. They are not the cleanest looking latches but they are funky enough to use.

brEad, brad2v, Tim and 8 others like this.
  23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Want to get the hole cut in the track nose and make a grill. Whats the thoughts on this shape? Have a couple buddies that say perfect and one buddy says it needs to be taller. Where it sits the hole will already be above the radiator. Give me your two cents. IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG

brEad, Tim_with_a_T, slv63 and 6 others like this.
  24. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

25. Grill size looks good to me. I may have missed this in a post but did you widen the rear wheels?

26. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What are your plans for front dampers? Will they have any impact on surround grill appearance?

27. Wrench666

Wrench666

I just got a running dodge flat 6 today. Thinking of a similar build to put it in. Love what you are doing
    Andrew

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I wouldn't make it any taller, I think the proportions are correct as it is.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes they have been widened they are my 35 wires from my T modified

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a pair of 30s mopar tube shock mounts that will probably get used