Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Pick Your Commuter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 23, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Pick Your Commuter

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

'41 Willys Coupe... all day long. :)

Stogy likes this.
  3. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

There is no choice... hands down the Willys!

Stogy likes this.
  4. They say "It Never Rains in Southern California." BUT:oops: The Willys! More make out room.:rolleyes:

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice story on this era of cruising. Of course, the Willys coupe would also be my choice, since we did build one in early 1960, including mufflers and license plate. I like the look of the Willys in the photo. But, for our street cruising look, the stock hood would be in place, no need for a hood scoop. A Willys with a 409...ok that would be very cool, but, still no scoop. (Or...change out the 409 with a 671 on an SBC motor and then add a scoop like Dean Lowe's Speed Sport Special Custom)
    upload_2018-2-23_9-45-36.png upload_2018-2-23_9-45-55.png
    With the normal 10 percent set back that most racers did for their cars, the interior is only for two people and it still would be a little cramped. But, it is a Willys coupe and they were gaining popularity between 61-66 in So Cal and elsewhere.

Jnaki

Stogy likes this.
  6. Nowadays The Willy's. But in 64 in So Cal. An Roadster with a make out blanket for the beach!

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Scooterville, Larry Clare and scruff like this.
  7. In my teens riding in the my friends T was fun and comfort wasn't important,today the Willys would be my choice hands down. HRP

Stogy likes this.
  8. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Love the Willys. Besides, this T-bucket has a 'glass body. That makes it non-traditional, even though it was running around in 1964. ;)

Stogy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am normally the top down, wind in the hair sort but I would have gone Willys on this one.

Stogy likes this.
  10. 1940Willys

1940Willys

My choice Joey would be something like this: pencil sketch willys.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Stogy likes this.
  12. Lazy Jake

Lazy Jake

I can just imagine pulling into the lot at Friche's Big Boy on a Saturday night in a built '40 Willys gasser. But, then, I probably should have kept the flathead powered '46 business coupe. Oh, wait! I did.

13. A Boner

A Boner

Bucket and a $100.00 back up driver.

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,
    Wow, a T-Bucket? 1964 So Cal was interesting as the beach was a destination. But, at night, the standard west winds blew like crazy with white caps on the ocean causing a moist/wet evening. There were some coves that were slightly protected, but still very cold. In the middle of summer, we even tried to sleep on the beach at Trestles, Camp Pendleton. During the day, 80, but at night, it was so cold we walked back out to our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and bundled up until the early morning.

There was one T-Bucket in our cruising area and it was a windy ride anywhere, even in the inland areas, away from the coast. Yes, beach parties in small coves were the epitome of secret dating scenes. But, to get there and back, the 58 Impala, 46 Ford Coupe, 53 Chevy, 57 Chevy Bel Air all had great upholstery and warmth. You notice that my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery is not one of the choices as it was too bare bones for the active dating scene.

Jnaki
    I do like the T Bucket and this one was super cool to drive in and experience the wind in your face. The sound and feel was perfect.
    upload_2018-2-24_8-11-22.png upload_2018-2-24_8-11-37.png
    A daily commuter for my wife? Her long hair would have been a tangle of strands without a bandana. Cruise, yes, daily commute? Well... we are still together after all of these years!!!

enloe likes this.
  15. modified1927

modified1927

In My case it was 1964 and the choice was between a Henry J with 283, 3 speed and Ford front axle or a '55 chevy hardtop, with a rod through the side of the block. Only had $200 so the Chevy it was. This was when I was able to save for parts in 65 while riding my bike to Jack N the Box and going to High School. Wish I had it back.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I honestly question if the Willy’s has any more room than the T bucket. Looking at a friends 39 Willy’s pickup I don’t know that I could even fit in it, at least the bucket hasn’t got a roof making you feel claustrophobic

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the mid 70's I drove my steel body T bucket to the college I was attending most of the time a 15 mile drive one way. Drove the campus cop nuts because he was afraid someone would bother it and I usually had my golf clubs in it.

18. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

A glass T body non traditional, but a glass Willys is. What am I missing?

Gr8laker likes this.
  19. Assuming that they were both real steel *(traditional), I would always pick the Willys.
    I have personally never driven either.
    T buckets just look uncomfortable, at any age.
    If I wanted to go topless, I would look for a 29-34 roadster.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Hombre

Hombre

That is a very tough question, what makes it even tougher is the times. You see any of us will be nature have to look at this question from the perspective of 2018, with all of those years of growing and getting somewhat older. We look at things today differently than we did in 1964, hell the world is different. I was dreaming about cars in 1964 I was 17 and just getting ready to enter boot camp. Back then I probably would have wanted that T Bucket, today and from the perspective of 2018 there is no doubt in my mind I would build the Willys given those two choices.

21. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

Willy’s....Just because I’ve always wanted one.......Mark

Stogy likes this.
  22. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Oh the Willy's hands down....the best looking car ever hot rodded IMHO. Only trouble is I would have a hard time deciding what stance. This
    [​IMG]
    Or this
    [​IMG]

enloe, czuch and Stogy like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wily Willys...Batman...

24. In this case I would take the lowered one, but I like them both.
    I really like the 33's as well.

25. Willy's would be my choice.

... and on a side note:

In 1964, my parents, my baby brother, & I were living in Fremont, CA (a SF Bay Area suburb and home to the Fremont Dragstrip).

Dad was a photographer for an "Aerospace Contractor" in Sunnyvale, CA (what would later be known as "Silicon Valley") and mom was a substitute teacher in the Fremont Unified School District (though didn't work in '64 & '65 as she was home taking care of me & my brother).

My father typically commuted to & from work (~36 miles round trip) in our '59 Plymouth Sport Fury convertible:

Mom & Dad's '59 Fury Vert.jpg

... but sometimes drove the Deuce 5wd:

HEMI32 coupe - Fremont, CA - 1964.jpg

My mother was known to run errands & go grocery shopping in the coupe :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  26. This is my daily driver off and on. Drove it every day for about 5 years but doesn't like rain so only take it on nice days. Also, working as engineer in the oil patch I have to go to the field occasionally and this is not a good lease car!

p1@ CHRR.jpeg p1At office 1.jpg

elgringo71, mkebaird and HEMI32 like this.
  27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

1964. I was a kid in So Cal. Just becoming aware of cars, and in little piggy heaven.
    Dad had a 60 Chevy Brookwood station wagon, I didn't realize till later had a 348. Probably a 2 speed behind it.
    I'da gone with the Willys.
    What a great time and place to be a kid.

28. WHY NOT FIND 2, AND HAVE BOTH STANCES...g-willys

rod1 likes this.