Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How do short guys paint roofs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texas57, Feb 21, 2018.

1. mjknisel

mjknisel

What about taking the tires off and setting it on rims or rotors/drums?

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

In the paint booth at my auto shop class there are wooden bench type structures on each side to stand on. They are about 6-8 feet long, maybe a foot high. You slide them up to paint the roof, slide them back against the wall when not. Or remove from the booth if you don't need them.

4. domingo

domingo
    from Lima, Peru

Rottiserie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I painted a big Dodge van one time, I built a scaffold out of two 55 gallon plastic drums and two 16' 2x12's for walkboards. painted half of the roof, moved them to the other side and painted the other half.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

7. This is what I used to get the height. At Lowe's, I bought two Werner folding platforms which I modified by cutting the horizontal outer channels at the middle, removing the aluminum runners and replacing them with 6' 2x6s. These make it easy to get a steady movement front to back. There's no way I'm trying to do this balancing an an old car seat or hoping from one 5 gallon bucket to another. Gotta fix the date thing on my camera. I just took this pic this morning.
    Car is messy, garage is messy.......been sick with the flu since the day after I painted the roof.
    20180223_2.JPG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    tb33anda3rd and Bruce Fischer like this.
  8. papajohn

papajohn

Buy a longer pole for the roller.

wandi harry likes this.
  9. philo426

philo426

Nice paint job on the 57 Ford!

Texas57 likes this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]

That platform with a rigid (very clean) piece of wood or steel pipe mounted from the ceiling on the center line of the car should give you a good place to place one hand for a fulcrum or support for the non painting arm allowing you to lean out a little farther to get to the center.Make sure your platform cannot tip over dumping you in the middle of the paint job.

Just my two cents worth. We are currently think about this same issue for the 54 Mercury we are prepping for paint. Our painter has short arms and a waist line perimeter that makes tops a challenge.

11. j hansen

j hansen

I made it easy for me,painted the roof first. Skärmavbild 2018-02-23 kl. 19.19.20.png

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I think I recognize that roof. ^^^

13. j hansen

j hansen

Go on..

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Most paint stores sell a fold up rigid platform for painting roofs.
    When we painted motor homes and race car trailers at Chapparell Trailer and Champion Trailer we just put the fork lift with a platform in the booth and painted off it, we usually mixed in a 5 gal pressure pot and got after it. You won't believe the volume of material it will apply. The booths are large enough to put a tractor and Trailer and drive around next to them on a forklift.

15. Here it is a few days after the roof dried. Bruce. 003.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

A rotisserie sounds like a great idea

17. DVader

DVader

18. DVader

DVader

If it was tall I had 2 ,5gal. thinner cans with 2x4. move higher with gun lower pressure slower movement mist spray and make sure you get it wet to sink flakes also when done lots of slow thinner to wet it down. cab over semi I tilted cab. Rag tape around paint cup and hose on back also help. Tires off also help. Good luck.

19. That's funny. I don't have a waist line perimeter problem, well, not too bad anyway. Just short arms.
    I've been following your Merc build thread. You guys are doing an impressive job.
    Thank you everyone for your inputs, this thread got my very first "featured thread"! Am I catching up to HRP?

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

[QUOTE="1-SHOT, ...we usually mixed in a 5 gal pressure pot and got after it. You won't believe the volume of material it will apply. The booths are large enough to put a tractor and Trailer and drive around next to them on a forklift.[/QUOTE]

I bet they apply as much as you put in the pot!

21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Thanks Texas 57! I hope all goes well on your top repaint.!

22. garage2small

garage2small

At 5'4" he only paints chopped cars! IMG951677.jpg

Texas57 likes this.
  23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If I used a rotessoire, then I would have to explain the runs

32SEDAN, Truck64, 270ci and 1 other person like this.
  24. not if you spin it REAL fast.:D

31Vicky with a hemi and 270ci like this.
  25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

upload_2018-2-24_10-31-45.jpeg

26. Holding the gun differently help for spaying roofs.
    If I hold it the way shown in the first pic I get a lot more reach. And it's way more comfortable than in the second pic. It's very subtle but makes a big difference.
    Wrist straight
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

whtbaron, Texas57 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  27. Both your gauge and your filter are a smaller size than mine which should help a bunch as well. All I've seen are the bigger dia. filters.............where do you get yours?

28. Motor guard filter, two pack at my local paint supply.
    Can't remember the guage.
    I'm going to move both off the gun and put them on the wall and get a bigger hose for the next big spray job.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. good move. when i stopped using them my gun sprayed SOOO much better.

30. When I was building my new shop a builder gave me the name of a man & his sons that hangs and finishes sheet rock so I called him and gave him the go ahead,when I got home from work I was shocked,the man I hired was a little person and so was one of his sons.

What amazed me was he and his other height challenged son were walking around on stilts taller than they were,I was in awe of how well they moved around.

Stilts might work. HRP