Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Seem like your close enough thatnif you carefully made new hold down for the stock bolt holes in the head itncould work. I’ll draw something real quick

Also, yeah I always thought it odd that the port is one big hole but the gaskets and headers all have two

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Red is cut green are guesstimated shape of new hold down plates. 48447D09-4C1A-4BBD-BE98-022C658A45CF.jpeg
    You could make sure your intake hold down surface is the same height or you could make the new hold down plates different heights on each end to suit?

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My head has two separate center ports. 100_1879.jpg
    I think if I match the 153 ports to the small block ports I'll have sealing issues. The 4 cylinder ports are taller. It might be fixed by adding some material but then the heat might warp the whole thing.

brEad likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Curious to see how you make it work :)

5. The cone is cool enough, those Chevy Black Widow headers would be real easy to copy in tube, those may just be the ticket. ;)

Set up like that and a pair of long straight pipes, would sound rad revved up tight.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hmm, with out all the twists you could make something similar but that furthest back primary is all sorts of twisted up. There’s an imca header build kit that has a bunch of S bends that might let you make one with out to much headache.

I’ll probabky draw one but I’m still leaning towards the Nash clone. I’ll figure out my intake and then build around that and everything else in the way I think

7. We both really need to stare at it for a minute and come up with a plan. Got chalk?

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You and chalk lol
    FB208D51-D0E5-47DC-B620-9673C1369CD5.jpeg
    That’s more or less the black widow lay out in pipe. They sell a u weld set that’s more or less eight lengths with two opposite facing 90’s. Sort of a Z with out the slant.

Any how take 4 of them and shorten the jog between the bends a whole bunch. Then take 2 of them and harvest 4 of the 90 deg bends to meet the head.

Merge the primary’s ins 2-1 collector.

I don’t like it. I’m still pretty sold on the Nash lay out in tube

9. The Nash layout in tube would be nice and pretty easy to do.

If I did the Chevy in tube I would lengthen the primaries a little bit then make the collectors with a J bend. But I just can't leave anything alone.

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My firs plan is to make another flange plate like this one and trim and weld the Black Widow to it. I could make the port transition in the plate. I agree either the Nash or BW in tube would work well and look good.
    100_0866.jpg

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hadn’t thought of welding them to the adapter plate. Would help seal them up though I suppose

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think it would make use of the original mounting system easy and also simplify port blending. Welding the cast to the steel plate? I'll braze it if I have to. Doing it bolted to a head would help with warping. This is fun!

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s something lol

14. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

2017 HotRod Hundred 015.JPG I put a merc cruiser in my car. I cut down the boat intake and had to rotate the carb so I would have room for the cables . Made my own header and it works ok. 22448414_138525210111837_7184613024384976194_n (1).jpg

Tim likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@1929CDAN great looking car! What drivetrain is behind the mercruiser? Did you add the sheild to the header for heat purposes?

1stGrumpy likes this.
  16. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

The shield more for the look and a 700r4 trans with a 8inch rear end.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome! I really dig it

1stGrumpy and 1929CDAN like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Very clean, I've seen pictures of it before. How does it handle hills and highway speeds. Even though I know better there is the underpowered four cylinder thing in the back of my head.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball good questions. I figure given the right gearing it should be fine.

I figure an A with a flathead is the same power range but with the 4 you have more rpm to exploit.

So in my head this 4 with a 3 speed, mid range rear gears, and tall tires is like a flathead with a t5 and low gears and tall tires?

Confused yet?

Edit- I’d be Leary of an automatic, they suck power and seems like unless you had it tuned to kick down just right it could feel pretty foggy in situations like coming into a hill I’m curious now

20. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Halls ass down the highway lugs a little in OD up bigger hills. Cruises easy at 60-70.

Runnin shine and Tim like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@1929CDAN are you using the stock boat cam?

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Is it a 153 or 181? Any engine mods?

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball ever put a tape on a flathead header? Add a center primary to the left of the existing one and they all line up very very close

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have a set of Fentons hanging on the wall, never looked at them in that way but I was looking at some flathead parts on eBay last night and saw the similarity.

Tim likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Had a buddy measure ports on his 21 stud last night and the center to center from outside port to outside port is almost exactly the same. The center primary lands on the center port towards the firewall I’m guessing based on a tape measure.

You should lay the Fenton on a head for a photo and shits n grins

26. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Carb,Cam,Dist. all boat runs great halls ass. No I`m not kidding.

Tim, 1stGrumpy and RoddyB34 like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I believe it! The boat cam is supposed to be between the two isky offerings, what are you running for exhaust? Any video? I see photos of cars set up with these engines but hardly ever hear them run

28. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Home made header and exh. with a Smitty muffler . Sure doesn`t sound like V8.

Tim likes this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here's some sound. Not sure it's the sound I'm looking for.

Tim likes this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ever figure out a way to find one of those dual intakes? I googled forever and couldn’t find a dang thing a few months ago.

Best sounding one I’ve found on you tube was in a green early nova , think that guy might be a hamb member actually