Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help picking the right crate engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tex Flick, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Not sure where you are located. I purchased a engine from West Coast Engines, Very pleased
    With the product.

2. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

If it's mandatory I state where I live, I'm from southeastern Nebraska. Around the Fillmore area.

3. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

I probably should update that info in the profile settings :D

upspirate likes this.
  4. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

Don't see a point in putting a new water pump on when the "old" one is almost brand new.

5. You will when it goes bad. Been there done that. :(

wvenfield likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure you've heard the term "ran when parked? Stuff works fine til you remove and relocate it!

7. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

I was driving it as a daily until about a month ago. It still runs and goes, but motors just completely wore out. It's starting to lose its compression, that's the main reason I want to get the old motor out of there so I can drive it again.

8. Some stuff is better off changed because it's relatively cheap and easier to do while it in process. When doing swaps I tell them that it makes no difference to me if I put on the old parts or new parts "while its out and in my hands anyway, the effort and labor is almost the same " however after the fact and if there's a problem it's going to cost significantly more to change it.
    Knowing that stuff seems like common sense but actually living thru it once is enough to make you a believer and it is a no brainer. Gamblers know when to hold em and when to fold em.

9. pitman

pitman

Having to guess, the camel humps would be 1.94, Not 2.02 heads. Four-barrel we called 'em.

10. BlueprintEngines

BlueprintEngines
    from Nebraska

porknbeaner likes this.
  11. There is the rub, make sure that the crank is bored for a pilot bearing. Pretty simple thing to do just ask before you plunk down any cash.

12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree. But its a toss up, should I keep using good made in USA until it goes bad or buy new chinese crap that probably is going to go bad soon??