Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FOUND! Over the Top 1960's built T Bucket Show Car "MINT JULEP" FAB T Roadster Information

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODDRIVEIN.COM, Feb 21, 2018.

1. MAKING THIS THREAD ON THE "CASUAL T" AKA LATER AS THE "MINT JULEP"
    WILL BE POSTING ALL THE HISTORY WE KNOW TO THIS POINT...

STARTED BUILD IN 1965 AND COMPLETED MID 1966... , BUT STILL PIECING ORIGINAL BUILDER INFO AND FIRST OWNERS HISTORY..

ANY AND ALL INFO WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU KNOW OR REMEMBER THE CAR LET ME KNOW.. HAVE GOOD GRASP ON HISTORY FROM DECEMBER 1969 TILL NOW, BUT STILL PIECING ORIGINAL BUILDER..

The car has been tucked in the back of a old service station for over 40 years. The first picture is from Rod Power magazine in the early 70s, and the second is how it was pulled out of the service station this year..

EVERYTHING DOWN TO THE TIRES ARE ORIGINAL, THE WHEELS ORIGINAL MAGNESIUM, BUT WERE MIRROR POLISHED ORIGINALLY..

AND FOR ALL THOSE WONDERING...
    WE WILL NOT BE CHANGING A THING ON THE CAR!!!!

The pictures really do the car no justice if you can believe that... 20180212_225421.jpg s-l1600NNN.jpg

2. So here is what i have gathered so far. car was started in 1965, completed mid 1966 " Builder and or original owner may have ties to Cincinnati??? but not sure

Story goes the car was built for the Douglass family, 2 brothers & sister, the car was shown for a few years, then a sale from Kansas from the "Norman" Douglass IN LATE DECEMBER 1969 and titled March 12 1970 to Harry Arrington and the car was shown for years after, until it was stored in the back of a old service station 40ish years, and is now is sunny South Florida..

do know the motor is indeed a 1965 327, and has a polished 4 speed, which everyone has told me was a M22, have not verified numbers, but if so, it would make it a group of the first m22s produced... Interesting.. 16 inch magnesium torque thrust rear, and 15 front.. cragar blower, lots of crazy trick stuff.. everything is original down to the tires, but the magneto is out before me.. have original display, wiring diagram binder, judges card, hand written letters from on owner to next, describing which products have been used on it since new....

here is where the confusion starts.. this layout from ROD POWER magazine years later apparently has mixed up 2 sets of car notes. The majority of the information is correct, but i have spoken to Gene Weaver in Kansas, who was a profound builder and still has a beautiful 53 chevy custom. I FOUND GENE AND TOLD HIM I HAVE YOUR CAR... He was amazed, and started to tell me about it, after 5 minutes we realized whe were talking about 2 different animals... So now the article was making sense, he did indeed have a bad ass tbucket, WITH a 283 and a POWERGLIDE Along with front brakes, THAT HE BUILT FROM THE RAILS UP... So now i am searching for that issue of ROD POWER, to see if Genes car is also in it, and from the two i may be able to reverse the mixup, and fill in the blanks.. Any input would amazing..

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0096.JPG i

3. STUMBLED ON THIS CRAZY COOL VIDEO ON YOUTUBE
    NAMED----- ISCA - Lago Vista Rod Run - Late 60s

THIS IS FROM MEMBER
    dadz34

from Argyle, TX

AND THE SECOND GENTLEMAN IN THE WHITE RECEIVING THE TROPHY WAS HARRY ARRINGTON.. THE SECOND OWNER...

Updated: More old film footage from my Dad's box of 16mm collection. I wasn't sure if this was from the 60s or 70s, nor where this was filmed until I showed it to Blake Burwell (Austin Hot Rodder, aka D.W. of the Yaa-Hoos) while attending Pistons & Paint. Blake enjoyed the footage and said he would ask Skot Ingram (aka SKOTZ) if he knew where this event was held. My dad had always told me this was footage from one of the first (if not the first) "organized" rod runs in the state of Texas. That next week, Blake wrote me back and with an email response from Skot Ingram. I think Skot said it best in his words... Updated: More old film footage from my Dad's box of 16mm collection. I wasn't sure if this was from the 60s or 70s, nor where this was filmed until I showed it to Blake Burwell (Austin Hot Rodder, aka D.W. of the Yaa-Hoos) while attending Pistons & Paint. Blake enjoyed the footage and said he would ask Skot Ingram (aka SKOTZ) if he knew where this event was held. My dad had always told me this was footage from one of the first (if not the first) "organized" rod runs in the state of Texas. That next week, Blake wrote me back and with an email response from Skot Ingram. I think Skot said it best in his words...

"WOW.....that's not in the 70's.....late 60's....at Bar K / Lago Vista!

Brought back some memories.....My 2nd hot rod is shown on opening shots....orange(go figure) 28 Roadster PU, with a Chrysler Hemi 3 carbs and white headers, model T grill and metalflake 2 tone interior.....wow, I need to make a copy of this.

Other cars Kinnison's T, Freddy Hoffman's T, George Walkers channeled 32 Tweety Bird.....this was the first official Rod Run, that wasn't just set at a hotel parking lot.....it was hosted by the car show folks, ISCA.

Other than that.....naaa, don't know anything.....oh yea, Andy Cryer, Troy's dad (credits on last page) obviously was there...

Thanks for sending.....that was cool
    Skot"

Lots of very cool cars. Perhaps you will remember other cars and if the owners/cars are still around. I know the green T with the blower motor was owned (and likely still is owned) by Harry & Ann Arrington of Arkansas. Harry taught me how to water ski behind a john-boat with stick steering in the early 80s at Tablerock Lake (He also took me for a 100mph+ ride in his Blown, Big Block Chevy powered, V-Drive racing boat...that was a heck of a rush for a 12 year old).

I also remember visiting the man's home once who owned the yellow '34 Fordor when he lived in Houston. Although I was only 4-5 years old, I can still remember his garage and the yellow sedan inside.

Anyway...enjoy. I hope you can recognize some of these cars and tell more of the story. Thanks Skot for the history lesson!

4. Totally diggin' it. Bust out the elbow grease and polish for those mags!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.

5. dont touch it. leave it the way it is. im jealous!

mad mikey, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. nice find , now I know why they called them Fad T's... those cowl lights are awful.. other than removing those (maybe something more T friendly ;)) .. perfect as is... congrats !

clem and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's already a thread on this and the coach lights are still ugly. Where tha hell is my hammer?

8. My friend posted when I got it.. just posted on my account to avoid confusion..
    love amd respect all opinions, and prefrences, but there's no way I'm gonna change one friggin thing, No one has changed it to how "they felt it look best" In over 50 years.. And I will never be the moron who does..
    SHE WILL STAY THE SAME AS LONG AS IT'S IN MY POSESSION.
    Think of all the Cars that were destroyed because of new "trends" over the years.. Sad

9. was it built with and alternator, or is that an update?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @HOTRODDRIVEIN.COM thats something to scream about for sure...Great story as others have said polish her up...if the rubbers cracked replace it with reproduction copies of same circa 65 if available...and I suppose if its gonna be driven replace components with same as required better for you and your new throwback possession...Congratulations ...

Any chance you have a pic of the garage and maybe an as you found it sitting pic?

By that I mean the as the door rolled up you laid your eyes on it and the jaw dropped to the floor pic...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

WOW! they are still hidden away out there and sometimes they pop to the surface

12. I still love it!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Hyfire

Hyfire

Love it. Love the lanterns. Love everything. Spend the extra money and only rebuild parts to keep it original. Wow! What a lucky guy!!!

14. philo426

philo426

Yes really good shape even the gold leaf held up.Cowl lights are a little large but that was in vogue when it was built.Might have to re do the brakes and change the oil.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. UPDATE!!
    OWNER WAS
    NORMAN R DOUGLAS
    5694 CANDELITE TERRACE CINCINNATI OHIO

SEARCHED THAT AND CAME UP WITH THIS.

The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio on February 17, 1969 ...
    https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/100687013/
    Douglas9 Hot Rot Takes 3 Awards Norman Douglas of 5694 Candlelite Terrace, Cincinnati, won three awards in the Hot Rod class of the ninth annual Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs held Friday through Sunday at the Convention-Exposition Center. Douglas 1923 Ford took Best Rod,. Best Rod Engine" and Best.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 11.02.37 AM.png

16. The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio on February 17, 1969 ... Douglas Hot Rot Takes 3 Awards Norman Douglas of 5694 Candlelite Terrace, Cincinnati, won three awards in the Hot Rod class of the ninth annual Cincinnati Cavalcade of Customs held Friday through Sunday at the Convention-Exposition Center. Douglas 1923 Ford took Best Rod,. Best Rod Engine" and Best. Rod Interior honors. Ron Prezenkowskl's 1963 Chevrolet took Best Custom and Best Custom Interior awards for the Cleve-lander, while Dave Rudy of Tipp City, Ohio, claimed Best Competition Car and Best Competition Engine trophies with his 1932 Ford

17. Might be worth replacing the radiator shell (but keeping the original for posterity)? Other than that, it's a terrific find!!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. GONNA GET A BETTER PICTURE BUT THE FAN IS RUN ON THE CRANK WITH THE 4 BELT PULLEY... PRETTY CRAZY TO SEE THE FAN DOWN THERE..

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. SEEMS LIKE ALL THE PICTURES, AND EVEN THAT VIDEO SHOWS THE ALTERNATOR IN PLACE...

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  20. Pretty trick throttle setup.. 2 gears, in aluminum housing with plexi on the cragar blower.. FADT_T_BUCKET_SHOWCAR_ISCA_TBUCKET_MODELT_CRAGAR_BLOWER_MAGNESIUM_M22_GASSER_438.png

21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HOTRODDRIVEIN.COM,

This is a very cool find and the fact that it is exactly the same now as it was when it was built is amazing. This car is truly an exceptional find!

However...having said that...would please quit yelling?! There is no reason or need to use so many capital letters...

210superair and Stogy like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a time capsule. That thing should go into a museum for future generations.
    For those who think it’s important to critique the lanterns or whatever.
    It may not be popular but it definitely is traditional.
    The film showed exactly how clean and well built it was. No wonder everyone wanted to own this trophy chaser.
    Cool and thanks for the memories.

23. Chrome differential housing is reet and you have the best looking sbc valve covers made imo.

24. Oh my

Perfection

mad mikey, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  25. Sorry work computer set to all caps automatically. For a Pawn program. on my phone I am calm, and lower cased..

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thought we were all through with these lanterns, headlight chrome eyelids, '55 Chevy chrome rear housings, et al.
    "But these are the growing blocks that made us this tall."
    HOW tall? HOW tall? How........

mad mikey, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.