Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help picking the right crate engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tex Flick, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

Hello!

So I was looking at this Chevrolet 350 crate engine from JEGS.com (http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681429/10002/-1#qaTab)

I was wondering if it would mount up to my transmission that's already installed in my truck. It's a 1959 GMC 150 with a 1972 350 Chevy. It has some sort of 4-speed manual transmission not sure what brand/model. The motor is completely wore out and I want to start fresh with a new block and motor all together. Since I'm more of a Ford guy, I'm not sure if different years of 350 blocks were different where the transmission bolted up on the back. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light as to whether or not this would bolt up with no issues.

Thanks in advance!

-Tex

2. should bolt right in

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  3. should bolt right in. just make sure to put a pilot bearing in.

4. primed34

primed34

350 Chevrolet blocks all have the same transmission bolt pattern

Tex Flick likes this.

5. Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  6. that summit one has a one piece real seal , will need a different flywheel ...plus has no provisions for a mechanical fuel pump.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I bought a 300 horse gm 350 crate from Karl chevrolet in des moines Iowa. two piece rear main seal, oil pan to intake. been real happy with it.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Great choice for a motor. Friend replaced a worn out 350 with the motor you are looking at in his 38 Ford convertible and says it works great. I've got the 300 horse version in my deuce delivery and deuce 5 window and they also run good.

9. I had chevy's 260 HP 350 in my old Rocky Goodtime van [TM], an 85 Astro van with a 350 turbo...loved it

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Being a Chevy person means one doesn't have to ask such question's. :D

11. Raunchy

Raunchy

That's not the engine he listed. It doesn't have Vortec heads. Read the notes in the one he suggested.

Tex Flick likes this.
  12. atch

atch

I've got the identical engine (although it came from Summit) and in retrospect I wish I had spent a couple hundred $ more and got the 290 HP engine.

13. yes....a couple different motors have been suggested by others other than what the OP asked about , we are getting them mixed up

the one that the OP asked about i responded will bolt in , and it still will. the link the OP gave is from Jeg's

the motors suggested from Summit and Speedway both have one piece real seals and will require a flywheel change. both can be made to work

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We have installed ONE 350 in the last five years (all LS now) and I learned a lesson about buying the bare bones lowest price crate engine---DON'T. By the time we chased down all the accessories and hard parts it would have been way better to buy the $4500 one than the $1600 one that we did. Of course in your case where you have a complete worn out one to get parts from then cheaper one makes sense but here's a bulletin: sbc parts are not in piles at junkyards anymore. We ended up buying new which made the turn key one looking like the better deal. For the hobbyist that can scrounge up deals at swap meets and on craigslist the low buck option makes sense but for a shop having a dead ride take up space is not smart.

15. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

and maybe consider donating the old engine to local school ?

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

17. This is the beauty of the Small Block Chevrolet, they all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. It’s not like Ford who made 3 different 351’s, and then decided in the early run of their small block to change the number of bellhousing bolts. I have the 260 horse 350, p/n 10067353, in my OT Suburban and it runs great, and pulls trailers with no problem. It’s a 18436572 thing!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Tex Flick likes this.
  18. That's not a bad value - especially for the guys who want a 327.
    Neither is thus one - wow image.jpg
    Never heard of these guys though. And their descriptions are a little general generic and vague and they say this one is a big block -

Blues4U likes this.
  19. Tex Flick

Tex Flick

First of all, thank you to everyone that replied, I appreciate it!

My plan was to rob the old intake, water pump, alternator, flywheel, starter, carb, fuel pump, distributor, fan etc off the old one since they're all in working order (and some of them brand new). No need to buy new, right? I'll keep the old motor and overhaul it when I have time and put it in another project also has a worn out motor. The projects are never ending around here, lol. I appreciate the help! I'm glad to hear it will bolt right up with no issues!

Blues4U and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  20. Since you must be in the witness protection program.as you do not state where the hell you live,its hard to give you reccommendations...a small hint..call Scoggins-Dickey in Lubbock for best prices..period.

Special Ed likes this.
  21. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a late model (91) that I plan on putting an engine in soon. This thread is proving quite helpful. I don't need gobs of power as it'll be my daughter's first car. And...since I work at a GM dealer in the parts dep't, I can research these GM #'s. Thanks!

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yeah, put your old water pump on a new crate engine. That's good for many miles of trouble free driving.

50 customcoupe and flatheadpete like this.
  23. That is the perfect economic approach - lowest bottom line.

I see things a bit differently- towards value and the biggest bang for the buck.
    The efforts will be almost the same, incidentals will be the same. The intake, flywheel and fuel pump would be extra. With a just few dollars more, an upgrade to roller cam, an upgrade to the best iron heads Chevy made, more compression plus more power. Lots of guys want those upgrades but it's expensive on a retro fit. Choose right and the upgrades come automatically for small pennies on the retro fit dollars.
    The upgrade intake and electric fuel pump would be forced I guess. Damn the bad luck there.:p:D

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    wackdaddy likes this.
  24. 29moonshine

29moonshine

a friend bought that motor from jeggs 19 mo latter it came apart. jeggs paid for return shipping plus free shipping on a new replacement motor. it took about 6 weeks from when he called them and the new motor got here

25. Fordors

Fordors

Ron, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a GM retiree there is no provision for a discount on parts. The same is true for an active employee, someone using the GM Family and Friends, or your Supplier Discount.
    There used to be a hot line we could call for p/n assistance, but that is long gone and even when it was in place ordering part numbers that were in the GM Performance Parts catalog was not allowed.
    Under the GM F&F’s program or your Supplier Discount you can get a break on GM branded accessories, floor mats, roof racks and the like but thats it.
    Bottom line is this- find a dealer parts manager that will give you the best deal.

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Could us a little more info yes. I looked to see if it was or they had small journal one's. Guess that's what that thing called the phone is for?

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's me. If I can help ANYONE with GM parts, shoot me a message. I'll do the best I can. But these guys who buy the engines by the truckloads are really tough to beat. My cost on many of the GM engines listed in this thread is often higher than what they advertise. And they often ship for free, too!

28. Fordors

Fordors

The photo used shows camel hump heads too, do you suppose everybody gets those? Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words, but the truth is not necessarily spoken.
    ‘31Vicky’s suggestion of the roller cam, Vortec head p/n 12530283 upgrade looks like the best deal to me.