Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jeff Bradshaw walks through a hoard for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captainjunk#2, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Another one of them "look at me" types!

Scooterville and Old wolf like this.
  2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i think whats going to happen is the owner will die with this hoard and it will be a scramble to save what can be saved before it gets scrapped

Old wolf and Blue One like this.
  3. Captain, you are right on!
    It will take 2 years just to make the list!

4. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The info I have is that the owner has no wife, kids, or any other relatives, and that if it's not sold it'll go into probate. I really hope he figures it out and gets things priced right before then.

I'll try to update things here as I find out more...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

If that is true what is the point of holding out for top dollar? There are some nice cars and parts but a lot of stuff nobody would drive 50 miles to see, never mind the cost and time just loading it on a trailer. I'm kind of happy it is on the other side of the county. Bob

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I see lots of body shells with no frames, which means no serial numbers to work with, correct? Major PITA unless you have a frame with a good SN to use IMO.

7. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

small world had this playing on youtube in the background while I surfed the HAMB lol............the real shame is I don't think there is enough of us guys left out there to clean out a yard like this our numbers are dwindling fast:( with such unrealistic prices the chances are very high that alot of this will end up at the crusher @ 5 cents per 100 pounds:eek: talk about pricing ourselves right out of existance....Think of how angry all these guys trying to sell their $50-100,000 hot rods would be if someone glutted the market with $500. body shells?? our little game of fleecing each other to death for showing an interest in something is so sad ....they started us off young with the media and the propaganda but now most of us will be 75 too old to drive and completely out of retirement savings by the time our first car hits the road:mad:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Penetrator and Old wolf like this.
  8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I wish there were more folks out there with sense. Sense to price things right to the younger generation so the hobby stays alive. Sense to price things right to the older generation so they can realize a lifelong dream. Sense to say enough is enough, I don't need every damn last penny...
    Oh well.

9. I think the only way to actually sell a collection like this is to have a auction. If this guy doesn't have a auction the next owner might?

Blue One and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  10. I was there a few years ago, sold him a 50 Ford Sedan and delivered it to the yard. He ws a nice guy but somewhat reclusive about the cars and parts. Part of the history is that he was one of the original people who started stamping out Model A and 33-34 Ford sheetmetal. Sold the business to someone in the NW (Either Portland or Seattle). I did get some parts from him for my 31 A roadster.

Movin/on

11. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'm in Oregon too! If the prices were reasonable it might be worth the road trip down there. As I see it, the only way they're ever going to get that all sold off is to hold a large auction. Selling it piece by piece would take forever! I just hope it doesn't all end up going to the crusher.

12. I just figured out how to sell this stuff.
    Have a row sale.
    Price every car you can get to easily
    in one row at $1000 cash and carry,
    nothing else for sale 'till the row is clear.
    Then scrap whats left once a month.
    This way the good stuff goes to somebody that wants it
    and the junk goes to scrap.
    Then go row by row 'till you get to the walls.
    Seems like in 10 years NOTHING has gone!
    Maybe this way the guy can have income for the rest of his life!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    pat59 likes this.
  13. Pete

Pete

He wants over retail money for quarter panels that have flash rust. I do believe he is the fella that sold Steve’s Auto the 34 dies.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

There's so many parts there, unless they were labeled they will never get sold unless somebody lucks into seeing what they want.
    I can remember when the yards around here looked a lot like that, full of 50's and 60's stuff. Sadly, when scrap went sky high, all of them sold out. And most of the old guys that kept hoards like that have passed on too, some of their places sit growing up, the family, if there was any, won't sell anything, others fed the scrappers. Never seen that many 30's and 40's stuff in one place anywhere.

Lack of paper would be a problem for a lot of folks, here in AL it wouldn't matter as only a bill of sale would be needed. Wish I had the money to go there and buy a 53' trailer full of cars and parts and bring them down here, I could probably retire on the profits.

Old wolf likes this.
  15. Yes Steve's Auto was the name he mantioned. (I just let the detail slip away)
    BTW he did show me Marleina Detrich's (sp?) custom Roadster if I remember correctly either a Dusenburg or a Rolls from the 1930's. BTW as far as I can remember he still had the Model A dies.

16. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Probably all over priced .a lot of the stuff is only worth scrap price

Old wolf likes this.
  17. I just took another look at the vid.
    I didn't see one car that was even drive-able!
    Bradshaw has been waiting 10 years! for the guy
    to say OK sell.
    Sad but it ain't gonna happen.
    The owner spent his life collecting stuff.
    He wasn't and isn't interested in passing the stuff on.
    Obviously, he isn't interested in money.
    It's his, he'll die with it. No airs, oh well.
    just my $.02.

Old wolf and The37Kid like this.
  18. Agreed, Denny. It's actually much easier to hoard this junk, than to actually get out in the garage and build a few of them and enjoy them.
    Never understood the "I'm gonna build it someday " thing.

Old wolf and WTF really like this.
  19. 5window

5window

If you had the money to buy all of it, you'd be a fool to do so (and, therefore, unlikely to have the money if you're a fool) By the time you inventoried all that stuff you'd have a lot of time and money in it already and then you'd need to find buyers. We're a diminishing crowd and a lot of us are aging. This project would need a young, energetic rich person and that's going to hard to find.

Everyone,except Elderly Iron, knows that this stuff is going to sit until it hits probate and then be sold or junked. A shame,really. I don't understand hoarders either.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    PunkAssGearhead88 and Old wolf like this.
  20. WTF really

WTF really

Unfortunately your rite. I'm trying to build a AV8 30 roadster now and I'll be old before I have saved enough money to get all the parts together to build it. I would love to build a 32 or a 40 but they have been priced way out of reality.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  21. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Being in Oregon probably eliminates 80% of the potential hobbyist buyers - maybe even 95% if there is no paperwork for them.
    Shipping costs make it prohibitive to seriously consider pursuing anything somewhat interesting and I only saw a few cars worth the time and effort if the price was reasonable.

The website is pretty sucky as well.

Most of the stuff will end up as washers and dryers most likely.

PunkAssGearhead88 and Old wolf like this.
  22. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, word is Jeff wants $20 to "tour" the property & will refund the $20 if you buy something.

Here's the catch;

No parts that might be used to complete cars are for sale.
    i.e. the deuce shells are not for sale, even though there are no 32 fords other than possibly a couple truck cabs.

If he knows , which in most cases he doesn't & has to ask the owner, prices are silly.

'65 chevelle $8,500
    '56 T-Bird $23,000
    '34 5 window, bare body only, no doors, no nothing, just a shell $12,000

Unfortunately, I believe this is a dead end as a source for cars & parts.

I will update as I find out more

WTF really, ls1yj and Old wolf like this.
  23. 5window

5window

Thanks, but this whole thread is turning into a very sad story.

Old wolf likes this.
  24. I can understand hoarders. Because I am a hoarder. It is a kinda mental thing. Us Hoarders buy stuff because we like it. sometimes we sell something and very quickly spend the money. Then we don't have the item or the money. and finding ready willing & able buyers is difficult. I did sell a lot for scrap a few years back when it was high. And I heard the lament don't crush that. its too rare or too valuable to destroy. But there weren't any buyers as 1/2 of scrap price. I listed a half dozen on Ebay for $200 starting bid and no reserve. not a single bid. So they went to Shannon Salvage and every one brought more than $400. I wapped the heck outa them with the rear backhoe bucket before I hauled them off. I made certain there wasn't any good body parts on them.

25. 5window

5window

I understand your post,except the last sentence and I don't have a clue why you'd do that. Your stuff, but really? I think I understand hoarding when your are 35. But, when you're 75, you are just not going to get to the projects. Ever. So why not pass it along. This hoard, though is toast. Just like this thread.

Old wolf likes this.
  26. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Old wolf likes this.
  27. Why? That's easy like all old Hoarders I am a bit demented? LOL. Actually if it wasn't for stuff being scrapped there would be a overabundance of old vehicles. Scrapping makes what is left that much more valuable. When I take something to a recycler. I strip all the stainless ,aluminum, copper and any good cores before I take it in. I want it to be recycled gone so I beat the heck out of it just to make certain. Usually the guys at the scrapper bend it up anyway with the forks on their loaders. Back 40 years ago the scrappers paid more if you burned the vehicles prior to bringing them in?

28. Well we certainly wouldn't want an overabundance of cheap old vehicles now would we?
    Thank God there are people like you looking out for us. :(

Mick

Nailhead A-V8, 5window and Old wolf like this.
  29. back when I was a teen I worked for a guy that owned a portable car masher and a big 4 wheel drive front end loader. He would buy several hundred vehicles at a time from the junkyards. most where wrecks and rusted stripped hulls. but often some where not too bad. My job was to remove the wheels and tires. and operate the masher. Big hyd rams on the masher and it was great fun flattening vehicles. I could buy any I wanted for around $35 and I bought a lot. after 50 years some are going to meet the fate they avoided when I bought them.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, What is I want that car.................the one over there behind those eight cars, with four on its right side, how do you get out of there? Right it will rot away into the earth, lost forever.

steel3window and Old wolf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.