Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Roadster Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Auliz, This thing is going to be OUTSTANDING!!!

Hamtown Al and chop job like this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You.

Today need to make new bracket for mainbrake cylinder. Somebody has made "own design" , which is flexible.
    Brakepedal mechanism looks strong and tig welded good. Exhaust tubes, and brake lines are missing. After that Im ready to stard grind and fix frame for painting. Yesterday Morning I was fix body all around and cut off cowl top.
    They had welded it together with cowl sides (brookville). I want that cowl top is original style bolted on.

Aulis

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    AndersF and Stogy like this.
  3. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Following. Good job so far, Aulis!

4. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

The work you are looking for is (wet sand).

5. Man, I love the fabrication and all the little details on this car! Great work!

6. AULIZ

AULIZ

chop job likes this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today I removed 2bolt mounted main cylinder + bracket and installed 1939-> ford cylinder + hot rod bracket.
    few hours cuttin, welding, lathejob and all sit there.

What is that 2 bolt mounting brake cylinder?

IMG_4928b.jpg IMG_4932b.jpg IMG_4931b.jpg IMG_4930b.jpg IMG_4927b.jpg IMG_4924b.jpg IMG_4922b.jpg View attachment 3813532

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  8. 3blapcam

3blapcam

No idea on the master cylinder.

Do you have any idea who or what or where the adapter kit is that you modified?

3blap.

loudbang likes this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Started to make exhaust. Last week got those 10" long mufflers.
    Tomorrow more pics when both sides are ready.

Today it has been "small christmas". Arrived 1932 column drop, small things like hood strap springs and one shipment included 3.25:1 ring and pinion. Sometimes have good luck in ebay. This brand new ring and pinion (1935-48 ford) 200.00usd.

aulis

leeroy-29.jpg leeroy-28.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Stogy and Retroline like this.
  10. Auliz, where did you get those K-member extensions for your frame?

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Those were bolted on , when car arrived from Iowa US to Finland.
    Maybe Chassis engineering made? or somebody has bought extra extensions and changed to fit directly 1932 K-member.

Those are bolted under those 4pc Tranny mounting bolts and rear to the fender bolt holes.

Aulis

12. AULIZ

AULIZ

I just looke over Chassis Engineering and Total cost involved cataloques. Not their stuff.
    Maybe somebody has made those. 1-2days job to make that 3piece set.

13. hightower611

hightower611

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You. Good info for all deuce builders.

A

15. Fogger

Fogger

Industrial Chassis is in Arizona. They make two different k-member legs, one for a stock floor that clears the body pan and one for the flat floor. Very well engineered and adds a substantial rigidity to the stock frame.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First, very impressive work!
    My apologies if I'm misunderstanding the role of that part that you machined on the lathe.
    If that small turned diameter (and radius) is any part of your braking system, I'd consider redesigning it, does not look adequate, only thinking of your safety.
    Even for a clutch pivot it seems a little "iiffy".

17. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes, part is to brakes. Do not worry, finnish steel is good quality.

I have sold 15years those china brake systems (and other hot rod parts, 99% made in China) to Hot Rods, Street Rods. Im little worried about those quality. Chinese shit, never install in to my car.

Cluch pivot/arm is Original Henry Ford. I have never hear that those are broken or twisted, but You know Ford has made for poor people, ......so maybe not so good quality. Never knows.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Pass side exhaust ready for painting. IMG_4938b.jpg IMG_4935b.jpg IMG_4934b.jpg IMG_4933b.jpg

Hamtown Al, Stogy, Joemama and 2 others like this.
  19. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today need to make Driver side exhaust tube and during weekend Brake lines Front and something else small things.

We have here not normal weather.... This time year normally nights can be around -10dec celcius and days are near zero, but now nights are -20dec celcius and days -10.....

So, snow is still staying and springtime is not coming so early like few years earlier.
    Next week they have cold in Middle-Europe too. Siperia cold weather (I have been working 25y ago in Siperia max -40dec celcius when I was there) is "push" in to the Germany and there..... Their houses, heating systems are not so good like we have here.... We have here very good insulated walls, top, 3-4times classes.....

Like Will wrote me, he has done that 1940 rear axle job to my 1932 frame. I like that job quality. All fit 100% and all looks like original 1932 style. When built hot rod, all not need to be original, but need to respect original deuce style with own rebuildings, part changes, hi-perf parts.....

Hope that end of next week I can lift up my 3meters x 6meters racing pit area tent.
    That will be my "painting room".

I have used Ford flathead header flanges in exhaust connecting flanges. Also same flanges in rear frame support. Its good that now a days many companies have laser cutting machines. Very low price and good quality stuff easy to get.

Aulis
    from the middle of snow and cold

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  20. Great! Thanks guys for the info on the K-member extensions! I will be ordering a set

21. Stogy likes this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Need also small things when built hot rod. I have ordered during years original ford parts (small parts) very much and still have those for 2-3 cars. These universal stuff need to order sometimes too.

Aulis IMG_4939b.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Driverside ready. IMG_4948b.jpg IMG_4947b.jpg IMG_4945b.jpg leeroy-32.jpg

Hamtown Al, Stogy, AndersF and 2 others like this.
  24. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

The master cylinder mounting plate that you removed and pedal lever that you modified are made by my Dad and I at our shop, Early V8 Garage, in Southern California, USA. They are designed to install using existing holes and no modification to pedals. We have been selling the kit for over 20 years now and have 100's out there all over the world. Unfortunately, the kit does not work with the add-on rear legs as you found out. The reason the master cylinder mounts so far to the center of the chassis is to line up with the add-on lever AND to allow the battery to stay in its original location.

The 2-bolt master cylinder supplied with the kit is a 1950's GM piece with built-in residual valves but I forget the original application. It is a 7/8" bore while the '39 Ford master cylinder you installed is considerably larger at 1-1/16". The lever had to be long enough for the push rod to pass under the K-Member and because of the lever ratio we had to use the smaller bore master cylinder. Because you did not change the effective length of the lever you are going to have a very hard pedal with the '39 master cylinder. (We have tried it.) We have several customers who insist on the '39 master cylinder for early looks and have had them sleeved down to 7/8" bore for correct pedal effort.

25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great info from lacy above. Thanks much

loudbang likes this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Braketubes made today. Tomorrow Morning need to built handbrake ready. Already changed new longer rear cable, just need to weld connector shaft between hanle clevis and equalizer clevis.

leeroy-35.jpg leeroy-34.jpg leeroy-33.jpg

Stogy and barrnone50 like this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Emergency brake works like the train toilet.

IMG_4952b.jpg IMG_4951b.jpg

catdad49, Stogy, HemiDeuce and 3 others like this.
  28. banjorear

banjorear

Hi Dennis:

Thanks for posting. Is the master cylinder you are talking about universal for '50's GM cars or a specific vehicles.

Great information that is timely for me since I am (well, Zach Suhr is) setting up a '32 chassis as we speak.

29. alchemy

alchemy

I think you'll find the parking brakes won't pull tight with it set up like that. I tried the same setup initially on my sedan, but the stock lever connected directly to the cable didn't provide enough distance. I had to make an idler lever to get more length to the pull.

30. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Any pics of your setup? I'm a few weeks behind Auliz here and would love the insight ahead of time!

3blap.