Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects They really are still out there....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gearhead-DK, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Last july, a good friend contacted me as he was on a chase for a model A project. He visited this elderly man that he knew and came to see something he's was not quite sure of.
    Some time waayy back, it was put on a model A chassis and disguised as a model A roadster. Just goes to show that at one point, these were mostly considered junk
    I told him he needed to buy it and it was, literally, likely to be the only chance he would get in his lifetime, for something like that :)

A month ago he asks me if I would like to take over the project...... he had to realise that getting the project rolling, missing parts and labor, would be too tall an order for him.
    Naturally I was thrilled and happy that he would let me get a shot at it but as I also told him, it was really the worst possible timing, with alle the projects I was in the middle of.
    What it came down to was that you must live as you preach and I am well aware that this was the only time I would ever be offered the chance to own a real Henry deuce roadster...... so I took the deal and have to put it on a shelf and wait for the right time to come, for a real cool build.

Plan is to put it together with all the parts I have lying around...... found a chassis a couple of years ago, converted to a grain wagon. Also got to buy a NOS grill shell some years back off another good friend. In short, I am still searching for a firewall, a dash panel, a 39 gearbox, a gas tank and a rumbleseat handle.
    I seems it pays to stick with the parts you have left over from previous projects :D

Buddy..... you know who you are ;)
    Thank you so much for letting me carry on this torch!

[​IMG]

2. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

dang. i’d be tempted to slap that body “as is” on a stock frame and have some fun with it.

Joe Lemay and Gearhead-DK like this.
  3. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

My plan is to try to keep as much of the patina as possible...... but let's see once the build starts. Hopefully it will work.

duncan and heavydumper like this.
  4. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Outstanding find, what a friend :)

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  6. Good for you. So is that the original model A firewall still grafted in there ?

7. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Yes it is :)

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

lucky dk,
    came from a time when '32s were not unobtainium, he even emulated an A with a home made cowl band...
    rock on !

Stogy and Gearhead-DK like this.
  9. Great luck, it even has top irons, cool.....and drool...

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  10. Congratulations! I'm GREEN with envy! HRP

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How about a shot of that NOS grille shell.
    Signed, jealous as hell.

lothiandon1940 and Gearhead-DK like this.
  12. Congratulations!! Love how it looks just as it sits now.

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wow! Has that been in Denmark all along or was it something that came out of South America 40 years ago? Great future project! Bob

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  14. I found all my Fords from 29-30-31 and a few 32's in Europe. My 39 Mercury came from Denmark just like a nice Model B i user to own, so yes i know they are still there.
    Great find anyway and subscribed.

Hennie

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  15. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Hey,I know nothing about As and Dueces etc but why would it have a model A firewall??

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

The 1932 Ford was the only Ford without an attached firewall, like a lot of custom built Classics of the 1930's. Someone put the Roadster body on an a chassis and installed the 30-31 firewall. Bob

Ralphies54 and Gearhead-DK like this.
  17. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

To my knowledge, it has been in Denmark since new. The '32 Ford was not a rare sight here and we had a lot of coupes, roadsters and convertibles. I have seen a handfull of B-400's as well. Two in real life and three more on photos from back in the day

Stogy likes this.
  18. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Thank you very much! I am a big fan of keeping the age of a car or bike visible, so hope to keep it like it is

Stogy and Hollywood-East like this.
  19. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

I know ;) it really is luck!
    Between 1950 and 1980, nobody really wanted them over here. They were too "modern" to be considered real vintage and most Ford enthusiasts only considered the T's and A's desirable, go figure.
    Thus most early V8's were exported to Sweden.... we are talking a lot of cars here!

Who ever built this thing did his level best to make it into a fine roadster, using what he had.

pitman and Stogy like this.
  20. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Thank you very much!! :)

21. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

I actually don't have a photo of that shell on hand :-/ I looks like it was covered in some type of cosmolene to preserve it. Maybe a thing coating of black paint. But clearly never put on a car.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  22. You are one lucky person...Great roadster body and story...

23. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Thank you 383deuce!

There is work to do, no doubt, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to Henry roadster bodies ;)

Stogy likes this.
  24. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice sir.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

25. How cool! Congrats!

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  26. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

I will and thank you!
    I do have other projects to finish first and also have to find the missing parts to even start on this one.
    May not start the chassis work until next winter, so a separate build thread is possible :)

Thank you very much :)

cactus1 and 48fordnut like this.
  27. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations and good luck.

Gearhead-DK likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

Have seen quite a few A's get 32 frames and firewalls, but never the reverse! I wonder if the A frame was stretched to get the rear axle alignment correct? Looks like they tapered down the body line to match up to an A hood. Would be really interesting to see this in one piece in that format.

Quite a good find, looking forward to seeing it come together.

Stogy and Gearhead-DK like this.
  29. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

You're right Squablow, I have never seen one either done this way.
    It must have come together out of two scrapped cars. Maybe a wrecked '32 roadster with a bent frame and a rusted out A sedan.
    I only have one possible source for obtaining a photo of the car in its former state, so will try that.

Stogy likes this.