Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Drive in theater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rmorris, Feb 14, 2018.

1. rmorris

rmorris

Any good stories about drive in theaters. Mine includes my 55 chevy, popcorn and a surprise. Some have stories of sneaking in friends in trunk. Some have stories of putting a case of beer in front of their radiator in their 57 chevy. My friend said he put a washtub filled with ice and beer in the trunk of his 55 chevy convertible. If he left the boot off, the guy in back seat could pass out 'cold beer' . Also, in our area we had some dual screen 'picture shows' with G rated shows one way and R rated behind. You could face either way depending on the movie.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    wicarnut and dana barlow like this.
  2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Gold Torino and purple haze.

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Nothing H.A.M.B. Friendly...but fun
    Did take a girlfriend in my 36. Back in 85 though

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No salt just butter I take it? :eek:

5. The popcorn gag has been in more movies than Mark Wahlberg.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. albertaboy

albertaboy

When I was a teenager, newly licensed, late 70's early 80's, I had the occasional use of my parents Chev impala. Plain looking 4 door. Looked rather like a un-marked police car at a distance and in the dark. I'd pull into the drive in with a buddy and cause a whole lot of liquor bottles to go flying.
    Guys would be so pissed once they figured out I wasn't the cops. We laughed our asses off. Good times.

belyea_david and i.rant like this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

In the summer of 1977 took a girl on a first date to the drive in. Her big brother was one of my friends. He drove in his '68 Mustang 390/4 speed coupe. Not much room in that back seat. She's sitting about 4' to the left of me right now. Will be our 39th anniversary this summer. Not bad for a starter wife. She's tough!

SPark

8. Candy apple red 67 Fairlane,390,4 speed & my youth.
    The VCR ruined it all.
    Fuck you Blockbuster!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

amazed drive-in theaters still exist

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Been to a few, don't remember any movies though.

Texas Webb and Just Gary like this.
  11. roundvalley

roundvalley

I remember going to one with my dad and coming home with my mom!

bct, Deuced Up!, Atwater Mike and 3 others like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Now that deserves some splainin.

13. Lotsa drive-in memories. I remember my parents taking my sisters and I to see "Thunder Road" back when it first came out. Made quite an impression on me!

dana barlow likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not a hard one to figure out there "squirt".

Hnstray and BJR like this.
  15. Bruce Jenner's kid had the same thing happen.;):)

16. mbailey99gt

mbailey99gt

61 four door falcon.
    Year was 1968.
    I was a sophomore, she was a senior.
    Weather was cool (Southeast Tx).
    Didn't take long to FOG over the windows...lol

WHAT movie?

Long time ago.
    Thanks for jogging the memories!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Drive in theaters were the best weekend entertainment when the drags were not happening. It became a ritual for movie night dates and on other days, a car load of teenagers having fun. The back row was for dates and the forward rows were for families. Spotlight contests on the big screen were all the rage. We all got suckered to go to the snack bar anytime that series of letters and words came rolling across the bottom of the screen.

Subliminal messages were used in the beginning until the authorities deemed it wrong. When we all saw those messages going across the bottom of the screen, for some reason, people were going to the snack bar for various items of food and what not. Research and the authorities made it a law to not use those messages in a captive audience.

At the half way intermission the messages to go to the snack bar were ok as people had choices to watch or not. But, during the movies, it was deemed wrong, a captive audience and all. (The same style of messages were not allowed on home tv screens, either.)

Jnaki

Memories abound from those good old times. Ever try “rolling can races” down the slopes? Who was top eliminator? It started with empty cans, but as the competition and money came into those can races, speed secrets started popping up…like ½ full cans taped up to give it more gravity and roll, Etc. Soon, it was full cans, warm vs. cold for speed. That got many people in trouble with the law. Competition does wonders for the teenage ego.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/so-cal-back-in-the-day.1017743/page-11#post-12186614

By the way, Goleta, CA has a refurbished old drive in theater still on the same grounds as from 40 plus years ago.
    [​IMG] Goleta, then

[​IMG] Now
    Goleta, Ca on the way to UCSB, Pacific Ocean in the background.
    Originally opened in 1966 as the Santa Barbara Twin Drive-in, it was closed in 1991 and sat dark for almost 20 years until it was re-opened by the West Wind Drive-in chain in 2010.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  18. 17 years old, in my first car (1960 Australian Chrysler Royal), which had fold-down split bench seat which would make a flat area as big as a double-bed. After some off-screen entertainment, me and my date fell asleep, only to woken by a knock on the window by the bloke closing up the drive-in at about 1:30 a.m., we looked around to see we were the only car left in the whole place. Drove out wearing just a smile.

wicarnut likes this.
  19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

The last few times we went,took my pick up,backed it in and watched the show from lawn chairs in the bed. That’s livin’ :cool:

20. The last time......
    0B614598-046B-4D97-8095-1333C62DF039.jpeg

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Those were fun times.I later worked at the local drive in as projectionist.That was a fun time.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

PARK-IN Drive in Kannapolis NC in early 70s. Nothing like the back row in my 68 Dodge Dart with bucket seats. Fold foreward the front seat backs and the back seat is like a double recliner. Enjoy the movie with my favorite girl and .......................................

24. unie01

unie01

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. unie01

unie01

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

only a block away from my house growing up in San Pablo Ca. Rancho Drive in 8-3-50.jpg

27. Sometimes watched the movie.:rolleyes:

MMM1693 and wraymen like this.
  28. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

^^^^^ There was movies????

wicarnut, MMM1693 and Johnny Gee like this.
  29. BJR

BJR

Now I get it........ Sometimes even I amaze myself on not seeing the obvious.

Hnstray and Johnny Gee like this.
  30. BJR

BJR

One time a friend and I took our dates to the drive in movie. He drove a rusted out 60 Chev convert, followed by me in a 63 Pontiac. Going down the hi way he hit a skunk. He drove into the movie and parked the car in the middle row. It smelled so bad they came over and jumped in the back seat of my car, which was parked a ways away from his. After a few minutes all the cars around his moved away, due to the stench. Finally the owner of the drive in made him move his now vacant car to the very most rear of the drive in, where there were no speakers. Turned out the floor in the Chev was so rusted out that the skunk spray went into the inside of the car. Took months for the smell to leave.