Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is this a GV unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Feb 12, 2018.

1. squirrel

squirrel

The other logical reason is that they replace the "park" pawl system in a vehicle with a GVW that's high enough to make the park pawl unreliable.

Not many hot rods keep a trans mounted parking brake.

2. indyjps

indyjps

If I find one of these and want to use the internals for a car application....

Will a regular TH400 tailshaft swap onto the drum brake case.

Will the drum brake case internals swap into a passenger car TH400 case.

I have 2 short tailshafts (case extension and shaft) that Ive picked up from otherwise broken cases, with the intent of being able to convert long tailshaft to short tailshaft if I need to.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

should fit no problem.

Donuts & Peelouts and indyjps like this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

5. 1930 A

1930 A

The straight cut gears aren't any stronger, but they don't create any thrust on the geartrain so they don't put any undue pressure on the thrust washers in a heavy or high horsepower unit.

squirrel and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  6. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

With the old Hydro I had, that had an attached parking brake drum assembly, I wondered if it could be made into a sort of trans-brake or line lock for the transmission. The driveshaft would have to have a slip spline built into it, and the local Drive Lines NW outlet said they could build one. Depending on what you want to use that TH400 in, you may be able to do the same thing. Can't beat that $25.00 price either; I would have bought it for that. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the first ones had the "switch pitch" torque converter. i liked it but don't know how reliable they were.

9. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

What's the deal with that bellhousing configuration in the photo? What is that supposed to fit? I have been building transmissions for 35 years and have never seen a Turbo 400 with that bell housing. I thought the only Turbo 400 bellhousing styles were Chevy, BOP, early Cadillac, Jeep and Jaguar. Whats that one?
    Bill

10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I think it's the picture, it looks like a chevy pattern but I'll put a picture up layer. I see what you say

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. squirrel

squirrel

It's a chevy. There is some paint, dirt, grease or something on it that looks like a shadow?