Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cannot catch a break. This time, it's Jegs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Those bags cost about $4 each for 18x24. I suspect there is a cheaper system for companies that use a lot of them or maybe have a foam machine to fill their own bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Instapak-Pac...rd_wg=XeWkX&psc=1&refRID=PKYWGS6M8FGMTNS8HT0S

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

You complain a lot. Consider adding something positive to the forum

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you mistaken in your belief that your comment added something positive?

wvenfield, j hansen, hendelec and 7 others like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Obviously you haven't followed his posts for very long. gimpyshotrods has helped and answered questions for lots of Hambers. You should pick on someone worthy of your wrath, not gimpyshotrods.

5. Your last post that you actually started yourself was almost 6 years ago. Your contributions on other threads aren't really much of anything notable. I would reasonably think that having to buy a transmission online, due to lack of time to assemble one on a deadline, only to have it destroyed in transit, would be something to complain about. *shrug*

6. My guess, because of how well the pieces fit, was that they have their own machine. It looked to me like they shot the foam after they boxed the tranny.
    Bob

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like the 1800+ technical posts?

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window, j hansen, Scott and 6 others like this.
  8. image.jpg

9. Hey- it was a free invite to this party..... if you choose the wear the Richard Cranium hat-your call....

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There has to be a site just to post this exact thing to, only having to do with shippers. I can't beat that, but I've have my share of mess-ups with them. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"You would think that ordering a generic TH400 would be a "no-brainer", but no...."

Well it was a "no-brainer", but the "no-brainer" was the guy who packaged the transmission.

craig b blue and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. I ordered my Muncie from 'David's 4 Speeds' in Wisconsin, about 1,800 miles from me. It arrived in a crate, so heavily built, that I've been using it for a step stool & I'm 300 + lbs :confused: - The trans is perfect after 5 years....not so much the rear tires:D

13. Replacement should be there by now -
    What's up?

14. I worked in an engine shop about 7 years that used those foam filled bags. It was a roll of bags on a machine that fed them through one at a time. Two large barrels held the liquid that when mixed, would turn to the foam and harden after expanding. It worked well, however there were more then a few times when the bags would jam or not feed correctly and the foam would go all over. That shit was very messy and hard to clean up.

15. XXL__

XXL__

Some rubbing compound and that should buff right out.

Also, since they probably have some kind of shipping insurance coverage, that means they sold 2 transmissions... one to you, and one to the carrier. Win-win for Jegs :-(

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is supposed to be in tomorrow.

craig b blue likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just because a person packs the item being shipped to protect it from normal bumps doesn't mean that the people on the dock loading it on trailers for transport aren't going to push against the box with a 5'000 pound forklift. Or set something on top of your order that outweighs the capabilities of your packaging. While driving for a large LTL carrier, I have seen 3500 pound cable reels set on top of cases of light bulbs. The results were not good. Truck carriers are willing to accept a certain amount of damage as a part of the cost of doing business. In the case of the broken transmission from Jeg's, it would appear that part of the fault lies with the shipping department and part lies with the carrier. It was improperly packed and most certainly improperly handled.

18. XXL__

XXL__

One bagger at my local grocery store likes to use the loaf of bread as padding so my gallon of milk on top doesn't get shaken up... apparently.

Engine man and Beanscoot like this.
  19. Well?
    It's Sunday, what happened?
    I'll guess since you haven't posted here it's because your busy installing a transmission:)

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The bags have a capsule in them that you crush and the foam starts to expand. Then you put one on the bottom of the box, set the part on it, put one on top and tape the box closed. The foam in the bags expands to fill the space available then hardens. I've done the same thing with a can of expanding foam and plastic bags.

j-jock likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny you should use the term "drop shipped". Just sayin'.

Bomb and just Mike like this.
  22. Toner283

Toner283

Been almost a month. Have you successfully received a new transmission yet?

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( Noooooooooooooo comment.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. Gimpy has not been seen in about a month acording to his profile page

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry fellas. I was in Detroit, overseeing the reset of our assembly line for the new model we will be debuting, as soon as we get Fed permission.

The new transmission arrived, packed no better, tail cone sticking out of the back of the box, not strapped to the pallet, again.

At least this time it was not damaged.

That said, NONE of the external bolts were tight, there was no seal on the tail shaft, and the cooler line fittings were half-way out.

Not repeating this. Take my frustration as a lesson.

26. Toner283

Toner283

At that point I think I would be worried that none of the internal bolts were tight either. And as well as possibly seals, ball bearings, gaskets, etc missing from inside.
    It would be even more frustrating to put it in the car only to discover that it didn't work and have to take it out again. Sounds like you would have been time and money farther ahead to have built the transmission yourself in the first place after all.

Thanks for the update and the warning about Jegs.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I checked everything inside. It was okay in there, at-least.

It has been in the truck for a few weeks, and is doing fine.

As I have said, I can build these, but I don't have time. I worked 430 hours, in the last month, alone.

28. Hopefully that was healthy hourly rate with OT and DT.
    Builds a nice hot rod.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it does not kill me first. I am getting too old for this.

30. Speaking of UPS here's a model I ordered from an ebay seller. It was well packaged but that didn't help much since the box had complimentary tire tracks included. Paypal took care of it for me. They didn't charge the seller
    since I sent them pictures of the box. Hope they collected from UPS.
    When I was working at a body shop as an estimator we used to regularly refuse shipments from 1 local wrecker in particular since they used transmissions to weigh down hoods and doors to keep them from blowing off the truck bed on the freeway. Yes, we stopped using them.
    Sedan04.JPG

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018