Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car shows????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 12, 2018.

1. do a car smash
    round up a later model car like a PT Cruiser and charge forks to swing a 10# sledge at it

KustomKreeps and Clay Belt like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Now that’s an idea, that wouldn’t cost anything and might make some money for our charity, but I think I will use some foreign car! Bones

3. 3 swings for $5
    and provide safety glasses
    bust out the side glass before hand
    get a tarp large enough to set the car on to help the clean up
    scrap yards usually will drop off a car for the advertising then pick up when the show is over.

maybe a smaller hammer for the little folks

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Rule #1 You will NEVER make everyone happy so dont try.Unless you have just a few classes like a traditional hot rod event or a customs show,the classes can be divided into so many stinking slots,it will drive you nuts and then go back to rule #1.If your gig does have alot of different styles and catagories,make it simple simple simple and have a participants choice award and thats it. Trophies cost money and getting enough hand made stuff is very tough.
    My approach is the show is about participation first. The people that want to be there will be.I also like the focus to be about a charity that can be supported,takes the "well what about me" out of the whole thing.As long as its a show selected charity and not any one persons personal deal.Its too bad that today nobody wants to do these things without a what do I,I,I get.
    If you or someone else is getting into this for personal gain,then you are an idiot and are going to fail.I have seen this first hand,believe me.Egos and under the table crap will in the end influence things in a negative way and will destroy the show. People notice the crap and that will drive them away.
    If you have to cater to the car owners,then do goodie bags.Everyone is equal,but then again i refer to rule #1. Old car movies, a band or some kind of entertainment.

Bottom line: If you dont want to give your self a heart attack,dont set your self up for one.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey Fedco, thanks for responding, our charity is the same each year, one that our organization believes in, as does most folks in our area. We were able to donate close to $2500 to these people that help with Cerebral Palsy in our area, in our frist year, we’re pretty proud of that and made sure it got press to show our credibility. We did do the goody bags and was well received. I know what you mean about the “heart attack”my wife and I run ourselves ragged last year, but since it was considered a “ success “we hope to get more help from our group. Bones

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Your problaly right, damn, I hate having to be P.C., Bones

7. GTS225

GTS225

IMO; participation trophies or plaques are the way to go.
    I think that, if you gotta do singular trophies, they should be for things like, "long distance", "hard luck", etc. That way, the folks who really put some effort into being there get recognized, rather than a subjective judging of their car(s).
    Make sure it's for a good cause, if you're going to charge for the show.

Line up some food vendors, even if it's the local boy or girl scouts. (One could actually split that up. Girls take the drinks supply, boys take the food.)
    Have a swap meet, (my personal favorite), the bigger, the better.
    Activities to occupy the time spent sitting around. (Poker run, Valve cover races for kids and adults, maybe a fifties fashion show, plastic model show for the kids, etc.)

Roger

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Don't make it Pebble Beach or the American Kennel Club; Make it fun. I like the shows that give out tickets for voting. Give a ticket(s) to registered cars when they show up. Give more when drinks/food/shirts are purchased. Have a club member pass out tickets to the public strolling through (That young couple pushing the baby stroller, for example.) If you're not stingy with the tickets, everyone should get some votes. If you don't score a trophy, it's still fun to be aware that you gathered a number of votes. If you have structured categories and only one shit box shows up for one class, they get a trophy. Big wiff! What about the 5 really nice cars in the class with 18 cars? All I'm saying is let the nice cars in general get some appreciation.

A local club show I've gone to the last 6 years does something like this. They make their own trophies, more than 50, for the "Top 50+" and give them out 'til they're gone. When I walk around at that show and see a car I like, I find the owner and hand him a ticket and say "Vote for yourself or vote for another car you like".

If there's a local High School Auto Shop Class, give them a couple roped off spaces where they can display anything they want, cars.... bikes.... models.... photos.... etc. The kids only have to make a sign identifying who they are. They will have a hoot and they're fertile ground to get infected with a life long case of "The (old) Car Bug".

Clay Belt and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. I smashed the crap out of one for my Cub Scout troup fundraiser many moons ago
    Had a blast
    I haven't stopped hitting cars with hammers
    I just hit them a little more constructively now

see below

Clay Belt and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like that idea,we did have some junk get a frist place plaque and some excellent cars get a second. This judging is complicated, but I’m getting some good ideas! Bones

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best thing bar none is at a car show is when someone comes up a tells you they like your car and tell stories about a family members who had one a long time ago. This definitely works for 50's cars that are not seen much (sorry Chevys are not included, too many of them).
    I like going to our city car show during our fair/carnival, sorry it's judged and I don't care about that part, but 2 of the guys judging looking at my 56 Ford and said how glad they were to look at something else but a tri5 Chevrolet. I understood them perfectly.

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I agree Jimmy, happens to me all the time when I drive my station wagon around town. Bones

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well, maybe common sense or PC, I grew up in an era that had Wiley Coyote getting smashed by an anvil and Tom and Jerry beating the soup out of each other on a daily basis. But we knew the difference, and that’s the important part. JMHO. Bones

TTR and anthony myrick like this.
  14. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I like as far as car shows and judging and classes doesn't matter, that's really not what you want to know so I won't go there! :rolleyes:
    But I can give you a few suggestions based on what the local club I've been involved with has been doing for the last 30-some years. We hold ours in conjunction with a local chamber-sponsored citywide celebration, our show grounds is right next to the main area where all the games, crafters, food booths etc. are located so there's plenty of stuff for folks to do if they get tired of sitting in their lawn chairs. We have no classes. We do a "Sweet Sixteen", those and a "Best of Show" are voted upon by the participants. One ballot for each registered vehicle. Yeah, you have people voting for their buddies' cars. But it's never been an overwhelming issue. The neat thing about that is that everybody has different likes and preferences so we generally get a nice mix of cars - modified and stock. We also have a number of "Celebrity Picks" that some folks have already mentioned. Vehicles picked by the local sheriff's department and the city police are "Most Likely to be Confiscated for Law Enforcement Use"! We've had some fun with that one over the years, like this last year when the Sheriff's Department picked an O/T late model musclecar with a light bar on the roof - the car serves part time duty as a pace car at a local dirt track. The owner was tickled pink. Even swiped a Get Out Of Jail Free card from an old Monopoly game one year and taped it to the award. If you ask around you'd be surprised how many folks - especially "non-car" types - who would love to get involved picking their favorite cars. Get a local pastor to choose a "Heavenly Hot Rod". Keep it fun. And as far as awards go, one of our members came up with the idea of giving away tools to the award winners. Been doing that for a number of years now and folks really seem to like it... after all, who can't use a few more tools? Here's the awards table from a few years ago.
    DSC_0465_1000.jpg
    We have a couple of auto parts stores in town who give us a break on prices when we order a batch at a time. They're "house-brand", nothing high-end but there are all sorts of possibilities. We've given away hand tools, creeper seats, portable trouble lights, car detailing kits... you name it, it's fair game.
    We do have our club members' cars on display, but in a separate area from the show and NOT eligible for any of the awards or door prizes. Another thing we've always tried to do, is have someone in the club circulate through the participants during the show, meeting and greeting, and thanking folks for coming. Might be a small thing but it means a lot.
    Plenty of good info put up by others in this thread. Digest it! And good luck!

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. thats a good idea
    our rod runs are at night, I might take my inflatable movie screen and projector and play cartoons
    every kid should get the chance to watch the Coyote and Tom and Jerry

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Good info, see you in Byron! Bones

17. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, still planning on it!

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I get what your saying, but we’re getting off our subject.... I will probably not have the car bashing, even tho I would enjoy it, due to many reasons prevalent in today’s snowflake world. Bones

20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

We started a Car show 4 years ago as a fund raiser in our Knights of Columbus Council #5798.
    1st year we had 24 entries the 2nd through 4th years have been 95 to 100 entries.:)
    Most of our Trophies are made by us, a 17" Replica of a Knights Sword, (lazer cut steel donated by local fabricator)
    mounted an wood bases. Never had any complaints, Most like the hand made steel/wood better than bought plastic ones. :cool: Only the best of show and model car class trophies are purchased.:rolleyes:
    Only the best of Show and Rockabilly/Rat Rod Trophies are selected by Show Staff, the rest is selected by participant voting. Show participants get a sheet to vote for 1 car in every class. We tried spectator voting for the best in show for 2 years but it never works out well, friends and family rack up the vote and every one gets mad.
    Also list your show on Old Rides

Ours is listed for June 16th, Knights of Columbus Car Show< Whitelaw Wisconsin

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Event Insurance ? If your event grows to certain size, now an event permit is required and event insurance required in Wi. There's a good reason not many bars have cruise nights anymore, booze and HP, not a good combo, seen some silly bad things happen. I HAVE seen someone hurt themselves at a car smash deal, not a good idea IMO. Remember, it's all fun and games till someone gets hurt, now you (organizer) and property owner are responsible, way too many lawyers in our country just waiting to jump in. Thought I would bring these crappy things up in case you were not aware of them, food for thought. Wish you success with your show. I always enjoy the small town shows where they block off main street or city park, usually this type show is their summer festival with car show as a draw side event.

lurker mick and TTR like this.
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wicarnut makes some very appropriate points. Event insurance is a must even though
    mahy time car show entrants must sign a waiver absolving the sponsors from
    damages or liability. Wonder how enforceable the waiver is?

wicarnut likes this.
  23. Dirk35

Dirk35

The last show I attended that actually gave out awards, our local club partnered with a local motorcycle club for a benefit show and did a "Top 10" that was voted by the participants that registered their car. They did a top three that was voted by anyone that wanted to vote (both participants and spectators) and called those the "People's Choice". They also had a single "Best of Show" and it was voted by everyone also.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Terry, what you think IS important to me, that is the purpose of this thread to get opinions of car guys. I want my our show to be fun and successful, I gotta know what folks want. Thanks, Bones

TTR likes this.
  25. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yes we do purchase insurance and permits, it cost's around $300.00 a year. That is why weather is such a factor. Money that is spent on Food and Refreshments insurance ect. Makes it really easy too make an event go upside down and lose money if it rains.:eek: Got to sell a lot of burgers just to break even.
    We have been Blessed the last 4 years ;)

Spooner Clinton likes this.
  26. X2 on insurance
    Our school puts on an electric car race. We are fortunate to have a business sponsor that pays the insurance fee. We have T-shirts printed with all sponsors listed on the back.
    I would recommend approaching your local chamber of commerce to see if they can help, especially being charity related.
    If you have a local radio station check to see if they can do a remote broadcast from the show.

Spooner Clinton likes this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Luckily our organization has insurance to cover all our events, what we do sell in food we can keep to our next event, which may be a dinner the next dayLol. You are right the biggest factor in a successful outdoor show is the weather, but that’s pot luck, especially here in Oklahoma, Bones

28. badvolvo

badvolvo

I'm not a car show guy, burnt out on them many years ago. We now attend what I call car events, shows that have stuff going on, live bands, art shows, racing, what ever sounds good. I have better things to do than sit in a parking lot for hours. This years list is short but will grow. The Rumble (vintage 1/8 mile), Hamb drags (ya better know), Greaserama (pre 65, charity event), 2 local high school shows, Hotrod Hill climb, and would like to do the dirt drags.
    We do a couple "car shows" every year that benefit local charities (high schools). We don't stay long enough to see if a trophy is coming our way, but we enjoy supporting those charities and an excuse to drive one of my toys.

wraymen likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s cool, that’s why I planned the show in September, so it would be a little cooler for the people. And we’re going to try to add some “ fun”. Bones

badvolvo likes this.
  30. Judging almost always leads to hurt feeling by some (trophy whore) participants. Finding sufficient qualified, unbiased, and truly knowledgeable judges is a near impossible task for most local shows. Anything less will lead to griping.

Award Picks, made by sponsors/advertisers cause fewer hard feelings. Feel free to have some frivolous award categories/names, again to reduce ill will toward the show and pick results. Having net proceeds going to a popular cause can help in building community support.