Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 'Stereo' hookup question - Very basic

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sartana, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sartana

Sartana

I want to put a 'stereo' in my '37 Chrysler, but I want to make minimal modifications/cuts/etc. So, that rules out using the package tray, cutting holes in the door panels, etc. It seems that car's in the 1930's would use what amounts to a single speaker box under the dash. I have one and that would work perfectly. That would mean mono sound only, but as that is 99% of what I listen to (mono music), that is not an issue. Also, the set up I describe would look basically stock, which is ideal. I do want it to have some degree of power. I thought I could put a basic after market stereo head unit in one of the glove boxes, one that allows me to plug in my iPod or other playback device. I could then hide an amp in the trunk and then run it to my mono speaker up under the dash. Do I just combine the two (-) and two (+) and run them each to the (-) and (+) of the speaker and call it a day? Basically, making the stereo output a mono setup? Am I thinking about this all wrong? I don't have a bluetooth unit for playback and that would not really work anyway as there is no player that I know of that can hold the number of songs my iPod has. Also, radio playback is of no importance. Any input or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you get an amp that you can connect as a "bridged" output, then you can run one speaker off both channels (this is common for subwoofers). But don't be connecting any wires together on the output of the amp, unless you are SURE that it is ok! like, read the directions. Most amps have directions available online these days.

3. I actually got a couple of after market head units here that are 4 channel and true 45 watts per channel, they were not expensive they won't make your trunk lid rattle but its plenty stout.

Something that you can do is put mid/tweets in the box under the dash and angle the speakers out toward the doors and then slide your rear speakers under the seats facing the back. You have to think differently when you are adjusting fade and side to side but it works.

czuch likes this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

They make units that are just black boxes now. You can mount them anywhere, stream from a bluetooth device, and out to whatever speakers you choose. I posted them on another thread recently.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-beat-box.1094508/#post-12411059

5. squirrel

squirrel

great separation on them tweeters, eh?

6. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

NEVER power up an amp without a LOAD( SPEAKER) connected!

7. I done just that many times with no harm.... what do you think happens?