Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on Rocky's 34 coupe..last update 9/30/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jan 12, 2009.

1. atch

atch

just to chop the top on Clarence took a bottle of gas and a roll of wire.

Go, Rocky, go.

wingnutz, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  2. Looks good Rocky! HRP

loudbang likes this.
  3. scoop

scoop

August is getting closer Rocky!

loudbang likes this.
  4. I know Scott! I took today off from working on it [Dr. appts] but I'll be back on it tomorrow.

brEad, loudbang and Tim like this.
  5. Welded up everything I could reach with the frame turned up on one side. My son brought over his saw horses and we flipped it upside down to do all the welding on the bottom....
    Weld, grind, repeat. Put a new 12 lb roll of wire in the welder...again.
    Progress. 34frameonstands2_18.jpg

INVISIBLEKID, AHotRod, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Looking good rock!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Been down with some health problems but felt like firing up the heater and welding a bit on the frame. Without a frame jig, I weld a little, take a break, weld s'more....try not to put too much heat in the frame at once. 34framewelding3_18.jpg 34framewelding1.jpg

47ragtop, AHotRod, bct and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man hope you’re feeling better

loudbang likes this.
  10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

YOU THINK AS THICK AS THE FRAME IS, Welding would distort it?

loudbang likes this.
  11. scoop

scoop

I do metal fab you wouldn't believe how heat affects metal.We work metal as thick as 4" and it still moves.

MMM1693, loudbang and Tim like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is why they use frame jigs!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Flipped up on it's side to finish off a few beads. 34frameonside3_18.jpg

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome :)

loudbang likes this.
  15. Went down to the local paint supply store and blew up the credit card. Prepped the frame and blew a coat of primer on it. Directions call for 2 coats so I'll be slapping another coat on in an hour or so. primer.jpg 34frameinprimer3_18.jpg

16. A major accomplishment,just seeing some color is a big motivator.

Go man go! HRP

17. Sanding/wirebrushing/painting...it's amazing how much time it takes to do this shit! Mrs Rocky is not enthusiastic about the epoxy primer smell in the house/garage but I think I have almost all of the stuff done for now. Going back together with the parts starting tomorrow.
    34paintingparts.jpg 34paintingparts1.jpg

47ragtop, Tim and loudbang like this.
  18. Got the chassis back on 4 wheels again...by myself. Man, it's a good feelin. I'm gonna take the rest of the evening off...Been up since 4 and working on the 34 since noon..I'm tarred.
    Tomorrow [if Mrs Rocky doesn't have a full day arranged for me] I'll slam the flywheel, bellhousing and a few more parts on and with any luck I'll stab the motor/trans...maybe I'll even get a chance to get going on the brake lines, master cyl, etc etc etc blah blah yadda yadda.
    34framepainted.jpg 34framepainted1.jpg

31hotrodguy, brEad, cactus1 and 6 others like this.
  19. Malcolm..........you wrote this in 2009 on this thread....and now I see light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know when you and Jason are leaving for the HAMB drags but Scott [scoop] is supposed to meet up with me and we're planning to cruise down to the drags together. Maybe we could horn in on your fun then?
    BTW, My brother {Jangleguy here] is flying out in July to help me finish up this beast and will be riding with me....can't wait!

brEad, Sancho, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yes!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Man looking nice Rocky.....I may be down that way more often. My youngest daughter is graduating with her 4 year degree and just got accepted to Creighton for her doctorate. We were down there in Jan for a long weekend scoping things out. Town is really cleaned up, I was impressed.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Eric
    Let me know before you come down next and we'll get together for a bite to eat or sumthun...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  23. Making great strides now!
    It looks real good.

loudbang likes this.
  24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Such a great feeling to have progress and having it sit on the wheels again.

loudbang likes this.
  25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9 years ......
    get it done bra-tha.

wingnutz, brEad, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  26. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Looking great Rocky. Is this the car in your avatar?

loudbang likes this.
  27. What were your thoughts about the SPI Epoxy? Ive got gallons of it and their Universal clear waiting for me when the time comes

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  28. Well, I followed the directions to the letter and kept the little garage at 65-75 degrees for [more than] 24 hours after shooting the primer. It's still a little gooey where it's thickest. I hope it will eventually harden. I used a C-clamp to help get my front spring in place and the clamp left a "divot", a depression in the primer where it's still not hard. Yet there's no off-gassing smell in the garage.
    So far, that's my only complaint. Warm weather is on the way and I'll be able to push the chassis out in the hot sun to bake.

loudbang and DeLuxe 32 like this.
  29. yup. The photo was just a mock-up shot the day I brought the car home from the body shop. Had noengine/transmission, axles or suspension in place [notice no wishbones or ladder bars showing] so I just leaned the wheels up against the car for the shot. It was a big motivator to keep going on the car. It looked exactly like I'd wanted to to look when spending all those long hours actually setting the car up for the day it got it's suspension. It sits like the mock-up photo...this is it with all the pieces in place although I have since moved the rear crossmember down about 3 inches to make the car sit just a little higher. I shouldn't need to use air shocks on the back anymore 34SIDE12_21_15.jpg

brEad, loudbang, 47ragtop and 2 others like this.
  30. some epoxy primers should only have a single light/medium coat sprayed. the epoxy i use is like that [transtar] any more and it creates a solvent trap and leads to bad adhesion. one coat, then let it sit before top coating. fresh unopened activators make drying times shorter. once the activators have been opened throw them away once they get a month old.

loudbang likes this.