Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Imagine you saw your first Hotrod this morning.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quickrack-alan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

So you now want one.
    But where you live has no history of Rods. You've only ever seen a flathead V8 once. And it was in a restored Pilot.
    No one to talk to about them so.
    Where do you learn?
    I am looking for a book that will describe, preferably with pictures, the various axles, wishbones, springs, rear-ends etc from early Fords.
    Say, Model A to the mid 50's early 60's
    So if I see an old ford wheel or whatever in a ditch or at a Swapmeet I can tell what it is.
    Does such a thing exist?
    Even a database accessable online?
    I live in Ireland and spotted a hydraulic braked 5 stud front axle and the rear end from the same car. I'm afraid to miss out on ideal bits for a rod, but can't afford to buy twice.
    It's not like the US here :)

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. You learn here :cool::cool: and at the FordBarn :cool::cool:. Now you have to explain to all those American Hambers what a restored Pilot is:D:D.

3. Taking photos and posting them to the HAMB might get you a positive I.D. the same day.

quickrack-alan and Stogy like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang around here...if you are seriously interested in true vintage Hotrods there is no better place to be...your not new here I see so ya have to have some idea. The other thing you have the luxury of is internet at your fingertips...type in 35 ford wire wheel and search it out to match what you see for example.

quickrack-alan likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Naw...I've still got the chassis, steering column and transmission from one out back;)

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other thing to consider is just take the plunge and buy the whole project...running & minimal rust project even better. Dollar wise it may be cheaper.

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Google is your friend.. Look up early Ford front suspension then click "images"...

Stogy likes this.
  8. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

With the internet , you have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. You mention not having anyone to talk to, I googled "Irish hotrod" and found a facebook page and a forum for Irish hotrodders right away. Join some of these and you can start networking.

As for not buying twice, it will happen no matter how hard you try not to.:) That's one of the reasons swap meets exist. To get rid of the stuff you thought you needed and then end up selling because you changed direction, found something else, or the parts didn't work as planned. You don't say if you have a particular vehicle in mind to build. You need to be crystal clear on this before you start buying parts.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Jibs

Jibs

Go to any large book store, or online, look up anything by Vern Tardel, he has written some of the best books on early Fords and hot rod building.

10. Your opening line Caught me. I still can see it. Green 35 Ford Coupe, white walls, full hubcaps, No Hood! Gleeming Chromed out Flathead with 3 carbs and Alum heads. I was around 8 years old at that time. It was parked in the Grocery Store lot and the Owner was in it. Dad stopped me and made me ask if I could look. He said that was showing Respect. I then learned my Dad knew him as one of His customers. My Dad just moved way up on my list cause he knew someone so Kool. I can still hear that distinctive sound as He rapped it up as he was leaving, it was like Drugs and I was hooked for Life. I'm 70 now and I still thank Jim Fuji for lighting up the direction my life has traveled since that day. Thank you for taking me back to that Old neighborhood Grocery Store and a much simpler time.
    The Wizzard

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford Pilot:
    [​IMG]
    1947-1954.

34 GAZ, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have some pics your dad might have took please do share...you have us interested now.

32_70s.jpg

This was taken when I was in my early teens by me with the Ole Brownie Hawkeye. It got me all wound up and dreaming. 1970s technically speaking but hey it excited me...No doubt some Ontario Hambers know this Hotrod...This fellow had a real elevated old timey 39 Chevy Coupe (sorry no pic) that was also a dream stirrer even to the point that I would love to have a 39 Chevy Hotrod Coupe to this day...

@quickrack-alan
    Never stop dreaming and appreciating its good for the heart...
    but get something going because you only live once.
    I also believe Ireland needs a Hotrod winding through the picturesque countryside
    you have an abundance of over there...;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    catdad49 and quickrack-alan like this.
  14. One of the few old Fords with a built in hydraulic jacking system.:cool:o_O

Stogy likes this.
  15. murf 32

murf 32

Hopefully my 27 will grace the irish roads soon. Still needs a bit of work. 20170930_102947.jpg Murf

catdad49, Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.
  16. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

Thank you all for the response.
    I have been watching the various places to buy from here for over a year and not one project early ford appeared.
    But I recently discovered a restorer of the Model t only 20minutes away. He has a few pieces he might sell also. I'll get photos.
    Thanks.
    And hello again. MUFF

catdad49, Stogy and murf 32 like this.
  17. quickrack-alan

quickrack-alan
    from Ireland

I have.
    There was one post on the Facebook page this year.
    And nothing at all on the forum. I'm on both.
    But thank you anyway. Maybe I can get something started when I get to mine.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model Ts make very cool Hotrods and they are more budget friendly to some degree I suspect. So a T Coupe, Roadster or roadster pickup are all good candidates.

19. Get any of the major parts selling company catalogs and just sit & read them cover to cover & you should pickup a reasonable understanding of what fits where.........as for a Ford Pilot....the only good thing about them is the front windscreen frame, made of brass it doesn't rust and AFAIK is the only part that'll fit a USA made Ford.............they're a Ford Prefect on steroids..........lol...........andyd.

20. I think if it was me in Ireland, I'd buy an old Pilot with the flathead V/8 and learn mechanic work and body work on it. You could hotrod the engine to get experience and if you didn't care for it afterward, sell it to buy a hotrod coupe or roadster project.
    That's basically what I did here in the U.S. with my first car...a common-as-flies 50 ford sedan...built a 53 Merc flathead engine for it as a father-son project. I learned a lot!
    Rockysfirstshubox1.jpg Later I became more proficient at putting cars together.
    rockboxnscotty.jpg

quickrack-alan and catdad49 like this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The Vern tardel book with the roadster on the cover does give you loads of info as well as the small book series on more specific technical aspects.

I want to say sid’s Dropped axle website has photos and measurements of ford front axle for identification.

Over all just waist you time away on the hamb and read as much as you can and the bits will start making since. It’s all pretty simple

ratrodrodder and quickrack-alan like this.
  22. What Jibs and Tim are saying...lots of books out there....Tex Smith's books are another....I have maybe about two dozen or more of early read stuff....just search for 50's Hot Rods......books