Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***February 2018 Banger Meet - Happy Groundhog's Day!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Tuumer

Tuumer
    from Finland

I see from pictures that many uses FSI distributors but anyone have had problems with them?

My ignition module broke down last year. First it doesn´t run correctly at high rpm and finally it just died 600miles from home... Luckily I got spare Mallory distributor and I think car worked all in all better with it...

Now thinking about ordering new module but wondering how long it will last. Old one was only 4 years old and quite low mileage.

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

JUST SAY...... PETRONIX, PLEASE..... MINE HAS WORKED SINCE THE 1990'S

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Pertronix (formally Per-Lux Ignitor) was originally designed for stationary engines running 24/7 and fork lifts. First shot at automotive market was VW off road racers. Been using them on classics, boats and daily drivers for thirty years. Only issues (2) were self inflicted. Model A and early Ford applications were developed by Mickey Remund, Mickey Thompson's engine builder. Remund sold to FS five or six years ago. Excellent customer service.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ive used fsi for years now with no trouble

5. If you don't care for authenticity, I too can highly recommend the Weber set-up! Bolted on my tudor in '09, moved from A to B to AA engine, and just started making troubles last year, overfeeding the engine (it's at half milage, as when installed) - but I got mine with a electronic fuel pump, which I suspect is too high in pressure, and might have ruined the floater valve, or it might be those newer, ethanol enriched gasolines, the danish petrol companies has been legislated to sell...

ROCKER77 likes this.
  6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

PULL THE TOP OFF THE CARB ... TURN IT UPSIDE DOWN ... MAKE SURE THE FLOAT DOESN'T CONTAIN FUEL ... BLOW INTO THE FUEL INLET AND SEE IF THE "FLOATER VALVE'' IS PASSING AIR. IF NOT GET A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR AND SET THE PRESSURE AT 1 1/2 LBS MAX..... USE A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO MEASURE IT AS MOST OF THE NUMBERS ON THE REGULATORS ARE MEANINGLESS.
    ADJUST THE PRESSURE AND REINSTALL THE TOP.

START THE ENGINE AND WHEN WARM USE A VACUUM GAUGE TO ADJUST THE MIXTURE SCREWS TO THE BEST IDLE VACUUM.

TEST DRIVE IT

IF YOU STILL HAVE A PROBLEM:

REMOVE THE CARB.
    ADJUST THE IDLE STOP SCREW TO CLOSED AND LOOK TO SEE THERE IS NO LIGHT LEAKING BY THE THROTTLE DISCS ... TO CHECK FOR A BENT SHAFT... THIS HAPPENS OFTEN.
    IF YOU SEE NO LIGHT THEN PULL ALL THE JETS INCLUDING THE ONE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FLOAT BOWL, CLEAN ALL THE JUNK OUTTA HE FLOAT BOWLS BOTTOM AND BLOW ALL JETS AND PASSAGES CLEAN. I DO THIS OVER A WHITE CLOTH TO SEE WHAT COMES OUT. IF THERE'S A LOT OF CRUB THEN ALSO FIT A REAL FUEL FILTER. NOT A "FILT-0-REG'' PLEASE THIS BRAND DOES NEITHER FILTER OR REGULATE

PUT IT BACK TOGETHER, BACK ON, AND SET THE MIXURE AND IDLE SCREWS TO BEST STEADY VACUUM.
    TEST DRIVE

IF THAT DOESN'T HELP. PLEASE REMOVE THE CARB AND THROW IT AS FAR AS POSSIBLE WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED SO YOU CAN'T FIND WHERE IT WENT AND GET ANOTHER CARB.... OR SWITCH TO LPG.

Old Dawg, barrnone50, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  7. I got a whole 3 miles from one once! Went back to magneto!

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

joe , you musta hooked it up wrong . my FSI has ran daily for like 5 years .................. steve

(do you still have my dampener)

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. I thought you had it shipped from Ron, at Damper Dudes? I haven't been to his shop since October. I cleaned it all up on the lathe and cut the grooves deeper and dropped it off with him to repair the Vulcanizing! He claimed it was out of warranty! I told him to vulcanize it anyways and that you would get a hold of him. If you're going to the Autorama this weekend I can bring it with me?

10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have emailed FSI twice about purchasing a new distributor. Still awaiting a reply. Any tips on how to get hold of them? Or someone who is a dealer.

11. The FSI install was basic, I either got a bad one or my engine shook it to death!?

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

shook it to death ............ good one

13. RussTee

RussTee

Speak to Graham at Macspeed

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

try a vendor . many carry FSI

15. what is the pros and cons between an FSI and a professionally rebuilt Mallory on a 7:1 with a winfield grind cam.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I would think the dependability & no maintenance FSI

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

AS STEVE SAYS...... NO RARE PARTS NEEDED ...EVEN THE CAP AND ROTOR LAST LONGER. I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE ELECTRONICS SMOOTH OUT SOME OF THE LAG OF POINTS/CONDENSER SYSTEM. THIS IS A GOOD THING WHEN WE HAVE WIDE RATIO GEARBOXES.

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

A little gathering for lunch today, I gotta,keep an eye on Jake as he really likes my original gas cap lol 20180218_141211.jpg 20180218_141129.jpg

barrnone50, Dannerr, burl and 4 others like this.
  19. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Seems I’m no longer getting updates on new posts .

I’m starting to tear down my motor after my rod babbit collapsed and starting to look at my options .
    What clearance should my main Babbitts be at ?
    And are rod insert bearings of any benifit with out the comparable main insert bearings ?

I’m toying with rather than just repairing what’s wrong and running it hopping it up a touch and finding a little more umph . On a stock B motor where are the biggest performance gains to be found ? Ideally I’d like to end up with a car that’ll run happily all day at 60-65 , this realistic without selling a kidney ?

Dannerr likes this.
  20. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Rocker any more pictures of your car , such a cool looking machine!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    ROCKER77 likes this.
  21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

babbit sets at .015 - .020 . I believe to run inset rods the crank has to be radiused . check my thoughts .........

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Steve,
    I'm thinking that you meant .0015 and .002 for clearances. Othewise...really noisey and short lived, eh ..lol

Dannerr and Crazydaddyo like this.
  23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Decimal point in the wrong place. Should read .0015" - .002"

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you for the correction . seems I never have enough 000000

25. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Don’t worry my back account suffers from the same issue !

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I was recently talking to Dave ( fourspd2quad ) here on the HAMB who makes cast aluminum hotrod parts, if he could make a finned cast aluminum side timing gear cover for the model A/B Ford banger. The attached pictures show what he has come up with. He will probably be able to cast these in a few weeks time, but final pricing is not yet known. Is anyone else interested in getting one?? His website is https://www.throwback.design if you are interested in seeing some of his other work.
    crank-cover-1.jpg crank-cover-2.jpg

Kiwi 4d, Dannerr, MJW and 1 other person like this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow ,thanks Waxhead for the link. He sure makes some cool gear.

28. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would be interested based on price. Front timing covers and valve chamber covers too if he were considering casting other banger parts. Good looking parts on his site. Might pick up a throttle arm or two.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

WHO MADE THIS FINNED COVER??

HAL copy.JPG

SORRY FOR THIS PHOTO BUT IF YOU LOOK UNDER THE INTAKE YOU'LL SEE THE FINNED COVER ..DOESN'T BOLT IN ANYWHERE ONLY SITS THERE AGAINST THE BLOCK

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Put the 16" wires on my Zipper about 20 years ago and used the spacers for the hydraulic drums. Going to Speedway Vintage steel wheels and trying to determine if I need the spacers. If memory serves me, the spacers were necessary for putting 16" wires on stock Model A mechanical drums.

Question: do I need the spacers with steel wheels on hydraulic drums? Thanks in advance