Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cannot catch a break. This time, it's Jegs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Feb 10, 2018.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Any of you having troubles getting through on the designated ( tech line ) tel no. at Summit. Spent the entire afternoon trying to get through ,line busy finally gave up ?

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

when I ran a store I had deliveries come in a fully loaded truck so that a piece of furniture fell off on top
    of the driver as soon as he opened the back, so dropping something 10 feet id doable for some of these
    companies.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

This shit takes buyer beware to a whole other level doesn't it...

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6inarow likes this.
  4. I spent a lot of years in the motor freight business. Part of my responsibility at one time was educating the local drivers to not pick up a freight claim. If the freight is not packed well enough to survive the trip, don't pick it up. Less than truck load freight is the life blood of a motor freight carrier but picking up poorly packaged/crated shipments just comes back to haunt you in the form of damaged freight claims. I would almost bet that the carrier is going to have to eat the cost of that transmission even though it was so poorly packaged.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will post the results of the replacement shipment.

That will cement their fate for me.

mad mikey and nunattax like this.
  7. slack

slack

Don't even think about having a hood for a 64 Chevy truck shipped out unless you desperately need one. It took 3 attempts just to get one that was workable. And we are talking about new hoods.o_O

loudbang likes this.
  8. slack

slack

Now call the number for new orders and see how quick they answer. :rolleyes:

9. That's too bad !
    Remember the days of "plus additional shipping and handling charges" ?
    It takes effort and time to pack stuff so it doesn't break, scratch or get otherwise damaged. I don't mind paying for that, but it f I spend 100 and they want to include that for free then they ought to fucking do it.

delray57, Hnstray and nunattax like this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

A friend of mine builds racing PG transmissions for drag and dirt track. He shipped 2 out by UPS, 2x4's and 1/2 in plywood crates, trans were bolted in and packed well. They destroyed the crates and broke both trans all to crap. It looked like they had been run over by a dozer. Took him a year to settle up and I don't think he got all his money back even though they were insured.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ll have to say that I absolutely enjoy dealing with Summit.
    I’ve bought a large number of different things from them the latest being wheels and tires along with lots of other parts for my RPU project.

Calling them has always been easy and their service has been outstanding.

For example I decided that the rear tires (750-16 Excelciors) that I ordered were too tall so I wanted to return them and order them again in 700-16.

Living in Canada they (Summit) have a return address we can ship to (Fedex in Mississauga Ontario) and they pay for the return shipping.

I’ve always gotten a prompt refund and great customer service from Summit.

warbird1 and 5window like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

ALL the shippers AND vendors are seriously messed up. Does't ANYONE care ANYMORE about ANYTHING, and doing a QUALITY job, standing out, and being proud? APPARENTLY not!!!!!!!!!!
    USPS: My daughters high school photos arrived in a HEAVY cardboard envelope, with block RED letters that said, DO NOT BEND; the mailman folded it over to shove it in the mail box. I was seriously P*SSED OFF, but they paid for the reprints, and it was delivered to the front door by someone a little higher up the ladder than a mail carrier.
    JEGS: First of all, I HATE their phone prompts, and the booming J-E-G-S!!!!!!!, that they have to throw in every 20 seconds. The roller cam I ordered was listed as "delivered", but I never received it, so I called to find out what was going on. Oh, it went to Tennesse; well, I'm in Washington State (???). Then, they would't send another one, the original had to come back first; then, they would't even give me a refund, until the original was returned to them, and NO ONE that I spoke with seemed to think anything was wrong. And, no SERIOUS apology (yeah, sorry about that dude); NO more orders from me either. I wish they'd quit sending me catalogs, and I've called about that too.
    SUMMIT: I ordered two 4.5" X 15" rally wheels; one arrived with the outer lip bent. I called them, they apologized, and said they'd get another right out. OK, how do I go about sending the bent one back? KEEP IT! Well OK then, I'll just straighten out the bent lip and use it for a spare tire. I continue to use Summit. My order of DOT slicks never arrived, they were delivered however. Next day a neighbor stops by to ask if I had ordered some tires, and I went over to get them. Called UPS back to let them know they mis-delivered them, and I now have them. Two hours later UPS calls me to tell me THEY'VE located them and will be delivering them shortly.????? I should have just let them continue to play whatever game they were playing, but I brought them up to speed. The thing was, the neighbor girl had to sign for them, but why she did that with the name/address being wrong, etc, etc, etc.
    E-BAY: I buy a LOT of stuff on E-Bay (I know, a lot of ya'll hate E-Bay). Half the time, vendors just stick something in a box, that they're made by cutting down and re-taping an already used box to size (???), and drop it off at UPS/FED EX/USPS, who must push it out of an airplane onto the tarmac, rather than land the plane and unload it. Someone has to pay for all the damage, someone has to be held accountable, someone has to care!
    When I send something, I pack it with the thought it's GOING to be abused; it's going to be thrown, dropped, kicked, just to see if they can damage it. I sold a Muncie 319 overdrive trans, built a solid 5/8" plywood box with 2 X 2 and 2 X 4 supports, drywall screws to hold it all together, packed in padding and bungy cords to protect the trans; no way can they damage it unless they run it over with an earth mover. I even put skids on the bottom of the box, and rope handles towards the top ends, so it could only be lifted in the "upright" orientation. UPS managed to tear up the box, but it held together, and unfortunately, the solenoid on the trans was damaged. I sent the purchaser another solenoid, even though he thought the one on the trans "would probably work". Good guy he was, he sent me my box back because I have another OD trans for sale. I stand behind everything I sell 100%, even if I wind up losing money; and I have a couple of times.
    I honestly don't know how these companies stay in business, how these shippers stay in business, and if things are insured, how insurance companies stay in business. I could write a book on all the damaged packages I've had delivered to me; once in a while I'll have to sign for something, but most times it's just dropped over the gate, or left on the front porch in the rain. OK, rant over; hope your next TH400 trans arrives unscathed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Scott, mad mikey, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  13. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Somebody in shipping should be sent out in the same shity cardboard box!!

14. 5window

5window

All of these would piss me off. On the other hand, just UPS and USPS deliver about 50 million packages a day. Most of these (and most of the ones I get) are delivered as expected. Most of us would consider a 99.9% success rate pretty good, but with these numbers it means that 50000 packages a day go awry. The law of averages dictates that they all won't go to you, but it seems that way. You also have to figure in that somewhere in the distribution line-local warehouse/local delivery,etc. you just happen to live in an area where there is a problem with those employees. Sorry you are having problems.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  15. Must have worked at getting it in there, had to cut it open to get it out.:)
    surprize.jpg

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Confucius say..... "Cut corner! Get cut corner in return"

pitman likes this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2 on your Summit experience. They are top notch to deal with. Being from Europe I can´t order every part at a special vendor, so I try to buy everything from summit or rockauto because they have most everything. A few years ago I bought a TCI Th350 from summit. Shipping to my door was around 400$, the whole trans was foamed solidly into a very thickwall box, you couldn´t pack it any better, and of course it arrived without a scratch. After 2000 miles it blew up and lost 2nd gear. I called them, they kindly forwarded me to TCI-Tech Service, who were very kind aswell. The Service person asked me to pull the pan and send them a photo of what I´d find. There was an exploded sprag in the pan and they said fine, we´ll have summit send you a new transmission, at no cost. 6 days later a truck delivers the new trans, I took the old one to Munich airport and sent it back at their cost. I couldn´t have been happier. With me sitting 8000miles east of the closest summit store they could easily have shrug their shoulders and said " so what?". They are a top notch company,I hope they will be around as long as I live.

18. I'm having my th350 tranny built locally, a little more money but I know what's in it and who built it!!

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you can save on the shipping by doing it yourself

20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

After one of my retirements I worked for UPS. I won't badmouth them as an employee but if you ever get a chance you should go to a major terminal and watch them load and unload freight . Its easy to Say they should be more careful but the way that stuff comes down the chutes at them there is no time to be careful. Yes they could get another job but most of them are trying to work their way thru college.

21. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Obviously, "drop" shipped.

22. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

Would rather deal with summit.

But last trans I got came from Monster Trans. Very well packed in a double thick outerbox then strapped to a pallet.
    [​IMG]

23. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It seems that every one they do damage comes to me. I have that kind of luck. If a company makes one bad part, I'm the one that gets it. I bought a shop fan and it arrived without the electric motor that apparently fell out of the box. I had a small part ship from 80 miles away that normally comes overnight and UPS lost it. Apparently it dropped into a poorly sealed package along the way and wasn't scanned after arriving at the local facility and was shipped to another facility until the recipient found it inside. So many places use the air filled bags in situations where they will get punctured. Hell, even the grocery store can't properly bag items to avoid damage. Nobody takes pride in their work.

Don't they usually have plastic crate that they ship transmissions in so you can return the core, or don't they want the core?

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

I ordered a 10' kayak for my granddaughter for Christmas. How do you lose a boat? Pretty easily. When it came, there was an obvious hole in the bow. Why bother shipping it if you can see it has a hole in it? I refused delivery. The second one was better. Not perfect but usable-they ship them in a plastic bag!

25. blazedogs

blazedogs

We are entering a new ara, everyone wants to have items delivered to their doorstep. There is a constant flow of delivery trucks going by our house daily.Article in the paper recently,there is a abundance of used cardboard boxes piling up causing issues for our city. The last transmission ,a 350 T/H I gave a core to a ( local) Transmission shop and had them rebuild it. The way to go if you can ...or you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.

26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whaa , whaa , ok buy local,,that's a great idea....buy your food too....local...I like shipping..I get my parts and sometimes gifts.....hats off to all the Great shipping companies....Maybe not Amazon.....I'm still on the fence there.....

27. Cardboard scrap pays more per pound than steel scrap.

Amazon, at first I didn't understand it so I stayed away. My wife turned me on to it and walked me thru it.
    259 transactions only 2 problems. Both easily and quickly corrected. My first purchase was a baliwgh shrinker stretcher. Play the fuel perks game?

28. i recently installed security cameras all over the property. i get a notification any time one goes off. i was expecting a package so when the phone went off saying something tripped the camera i was surprised at what i saw. the usps delivery lady walked up to the house and threw my packages. i forwarded the videos to the post master. no more thrown packages.

mad mikey and nunattax like this.
  29. My son bought a 700r4 from B&M, and it was packed securely and simply. Nothing short of a D_10 being dropped on it would have damaged it, even though it was in a cardboard box.
    B&M, or whoever they hire to ship their stuff, first placed the transmission on a foam filled bag that took the shape of the transmission. Then they must have placed it in the box with 2 more bags and filled them with foam. It was solid, and pristine when we unpacked it.
    I don't know how much foam costs, but it couldn't cost as much as the labour and material that goes into putting a tranny in a wooden crate.
    Sorry to learn of your problem, I hope you get satisfaction.
    Bob

30. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I've done that. Years ago I went to a UPS distribution facility to apply for a temporary job. They were literally throwing parcels out of trucks and onto the conveyors to keep up a breakneck pace. I think they would have shot the packages out of a cannon if it would load and unload them faster. I decided not to take the job or ship anything via UPS.