Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Motor Disassembly Is This Motor Bad???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Still good for mockup or yard art works to.

patmanta likes this.
  2. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

in this day and age there are a lot of new welding rods and such for cast iron. i would take it to a welding shop and ask them. if they say yes, have it hot tanked to clean it. be sure to take it all apart and make sure the bores are still good and not cracked. even those can all be sleeved too. it just matters if you want to spend the money. remember, they are not making any new blocks so see if it can be saved first.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  3. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I agree. If it can be repaired without spending a fortune I will do so. I'll have to call around. What are your guys thoughts on repairing it with jb weld. You think it will hold up? Just a thought. I better do it right though if I'm gonna drop the kind of money a flathead takes to rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ought to work, I think that is what NASA used to adhere the tiles to the space shuttle and it did...ok.

GreaserJosh13 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  5. If it froze up and busted in one place, nothing says it isn't busted elsewhere that you can't see so easily. Check it carefully before wasting any more time on it!

Vanness, GreaserJosh13 and Texas57 like this.
  6. I got a 40 over block in my shop

7. alchemy

alchemy

That is your exhaust port. I don't think JB Weld would be good there. First step is cleaning it off, so find somebody with a sandblaster and go to town on that spot to see how far the cracks go.

8. Save yourself future grief, find another block.

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd sure look the rest of it over carefully before I scrapped it. If that's the only problem, what's to lose in trying to fix it? On the other hand :

This statement is very close to becoming false. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220258. This is no BS; this guy is already making Ford 4 banger blocks and heads, as well as a lot of other interesting stuff.

10. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i would agree with you on new blocks tubman. except they would cost so much quite a few people building on a budget couldn't afford them. sure you could save up the money but that just adds more
    time to build the car. as for me, i get bored if it takes to long to build a car and i just go onto something else that will take less time. of course, look what happened to those french blocks. they sold like hotcakes! so what do i know!

11. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

12. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i take what i said back!! i just got done reading all about TOD. what an interesting guy. what knowledge and talent. if a v8 fh can be built it will be him that gets it built.

slim38 and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

14. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Second time I posted that in a few months. I am really surprised it is still for sale (not mine). I guess price is a factor though.

15. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Price is definitely a factor. $7000.00.
    I do like them though. Super bad ass!!!!
    It would be cool if Tod started re-manufacturing those.

16. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

$17000 for the heads
    $7000 for the blower

17. Except the water will still pour out the exhaust port . . . and sealing the top would make me nervous! :)

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes you would have to make a plate to plug the exhaust port. All of them seems to be what happens. Putting real money in that block for almost any use would make me nervous. I can see that rot. What's going on I don't see?

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"that's a bad (shut yo mouth), I was just gonna say Shaft"

20. If it was a exterior water jacket it could be welded or repaired with JB weld. But that exhaust port will be subjected to heating and cooling and would soon fail. back in the day we would of removed the piston and the oppsite piston. clamped the rod bearings with two rod caps bolted together. then disabled the valves and plugged the exhaust port. and made a V6.

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Sure it can be repaired. Anyone with a Henrob torch can do it fast and easy. My Henrob welding has been successful every time for about 15 years

22. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Well I ended up finding another flathead. It sound like it's gonna be a better motor than the one I've got. Guy I'm getting it from seems very knowledgeable & honest after talking to him. I obviously know from my recent experience that flatheads are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your really getting until you get into it & start tearing it apart. Another thing I learned is to take off all the other BS on the motor to inspect it before you spend 3 hours removing cylinder head studs. Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    clem likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My flatty turned out sweet but the first two I bought in the process were a waste of money, time and money. Better luck. Flatheads forever!

24. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Got any pictures of your flathead?

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before
    upload_2018-2-13_14-4-2.png
    During
    upload_2018-2-13_14-5-53.png
    After
    upload_2018-2-13_14-6-41.png
    Just like building a car, make a plan and stick to it. Try not to change gears in the middle to avoid costly errors. Do the homework and research. These motors cost a fortune to build up, but they're worth every penny.

Attached Files:

slim38 and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  26. JB Weld it'll fix anything. :D

Bandit Billy and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you look closely at this flat motor, you can see that it has been filled with aluminum for fuel racing Now you can bore exhaust ports anywhere you want to. 27973648_1839305436093212_2931293851900889814_n.jpg

Bandit Billy and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  28. Ford Farmer

Ford Farmer

Never knew about the candle wax trick. Gotta remember that one

29. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Bandit Billy likes this.
  30. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

That sounds great & I'm sure it works great, but a little bit beyond what my plans are. You think anyone would buy this thing?