Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cannot catch a break. This time, it's Jegs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Feb 10, 2018.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am beginning to think that I should just go back to rebuilding automatics, for my friends, in my spare time.

I have a friend with an OT vehicle, with a badly slipping TH400. Since it is not in a high-demand application, I had her order a medium-duty replacement one from Jegs, so I could put it in this weekend. No big deal.

It arrived in a large box, which was not secured to the pallet, and was absolutely devoid of any packing material.

Needless to say, the driver's side of the bellhousing was smashed right off.

There goes another weekend of perfect weather. I can only hope that the next one is intact.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    loudbang and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. Never2low

Never2low

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable. Their packers should be fired, as well as the shipping manager.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Morons in the shipping department.

6inarow, loudbang and Junior Stock like this.

5. Why even bother using a box if they're going to do something like that?

loudbang, Bruce Fischer and oj like this.
  6. I'm beginning to think that returned items aren't repackaged by the returnee then the supply house sends them back out with any type of haphazard or non existent packing.
    How else can you explain perfectly secured and protected items one time and that shit the next.

I ordered 4 wheels from summit, 3 were perfect and one was reboxed. The rebox was void of packing materials, protective rings and bags. The polished lip looked like 80 grit.

Skankin' Rat Fink and loudbang like this.
  7. dartracer

dartracer

Back when I was racing I ordered 5 sets of head gaskets. They folded them to fit in a smaller box. When I called them, they asked me why I can't still use them.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The most infuriating part is that I can build just about any GM automatic, to about any performance level, I just don't have enough hours left in the day to chase parts, or enough bench space to spare for not only the whole process, but to spare if anything goes awry, and I have to wait for something else.

My bench is currently nearly filled with the parts of an 750hp capable dual-chain TH425, for a mid-engine project.

You would think that ordering a generic TH400 wold be a "no-brainer", but no....

pitman, loudbang, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  9. Never2low

Never2low

Did it come straight from Jegs, or was it drop shipped from somewhere else?

loudbang likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Clutch Turbo!

grumpy32, loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

You think they'd ship a transmission in a wooden crate screwed down to the pallet. Dual chain TH 425 mid engine, hmmm sounds interesting.

loudbang likes this.
  12. I work for a LTL freight carrier. I am blown away how some places pack something and then expect it to survive being shipped by truck. Depending on where an item ships from and where it's going to it could swap trucks three to four times.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561, 49ratfink and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one did not have a prayer.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure that I can sell her on that, although an SFI bell might fix it.

loudbang likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

It was drop shipped. Obviously, dropped right on the floor.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From their own warehouse. I cannot say that it was, or was not packaged there.

loudbang and Bruce Fischer like this.
  17. Shipping product in sufficientally rugged packaging seems to be extremely low on the business plan for a lot of businesses these days. So far this year Amazon has dropped the ball twice and two auction sellers didn’t have a clue. Good thing it was all just nice to have stuff, not build stoppers.

loudbang likes this.
  18. :( No excuse for that......

6inarow and scrap metal 48 like this.
  19. egads

egads

I think Summit use the same idiot's.

Ric Dean and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100% drop shipped. I can see that from here.
    Edit: Jim beat me to it.

21. chopped

chopped

Got an engine from them a while back, crushed valve cover. Just lucky it didn't get the valve train.

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had the same problem with 2 sets of copper head gaskets from speedway. Came bent up. Same thing with one of the small flathead starters. The whole casing was smashed in from being dropped on its end. Fortunately Speedways customer service is excellent and they replaced all damaged parts. Ordered a coil from Amazon. It came in one of those bubble pack envelopes! When I pulled the box and coil out the box was all beat to shit but the coil looked ok fortunately.

23. Who was the shipper? It seems that the thing sliding around loose in the box would be obvious.

I had a Muncie M20 shipped from California to NY, Fed-X and they were fussy about how it was packed and secured. Banded to a piece of pallet, wrapped in a heavy cardboard, more banding and it showed up unscathed.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Jeg's shipping rates 1 out of 5 stars. They'll pull crap like shipping you a partial set of something and back order the rest so they can charge your card.
    https://www.resellerratings.com/store/JEGS_High_Performance

You can't find a decent rebuilt 400 in the Bay area? You'd have it same day w/o the horror of shipping delays and damages. Even if you're not in a hurry for the part, what if the Jeg's arrives undamaged, you install it and it doesn't work? Now you have to ship it back (and get a refund or wait for a replacement that you hope arrives undamaged and works).
    I went through this with one of our seldom used daily's. Got a "deal" on a power steering pump. It failed out of the box and I had to go through all the refund hoops of shipping it back.

The shipping piece is ALL about production, not quality. If they screw up, lose or damage a certain percentage of orders, it's an acceptable "cost of doing business" against the profit line, and that percentage seems to be higher at Jeg's..
    Order pickers at places such as Amazon literally run the warehouse aisles picking orders for entry wages. If they don't perform, there's 1000 people waiting in line to take their place.

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shipped some caddy parts a while back with UPS , sure enough they manage to smash the box destroying the cast part ...took them 6 months to pay the insurance claim....I guess you could say Ship Happens...ha ha ha

Bomb and loudbang like this.
  26. not only lame but that trans was supposedly good and now is nothing other than parts, they should send another and let you keep the damaged one for parts...

mad mikey likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

What did Jeg's say about it?

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  28. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, that's just wrong.

29. fuzzface

fuzzface

I hate to see this. I was considering getting a trans from Jegs from their ebay account but now you have me rethinking this.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm sure it was not packed like that when JEGs got it. GM ships transmissions in a black plastic container made for the transmission. you would have to drop it from 10 feet up to break one.

loudbang likes this.