Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Transporting folding chairs and small cooler.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by derb, Feb 9, 2018.

1. derb

derb

Do you have a nice fresh pickup with a really nice bed and finished floor? What have you done to haul two folding chairs and a beverage cooler?
    I was thinking of having an upholstery shop, or marine canvas shop fabricate a soft sided " cargo bag" to slip them into, and maybe use snaps to secure it to the bed floor.
    I would appreciate your ideas, thoughts and photos.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. In the case of my F-100, I just put a piece of cardboard over the bed wood and this prevented any scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. I bought two rubber floor mats from Home Depot. When I get to a show,roll them up and put them under the truck.

Texas Webb and Hnstray like this.
  4. derb

derb

Thanks, but I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to drive around nicely enough to have them just laying there, I don't want them bouncing off the tailgate and bed sides.

Hollywood-East and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. derb

derb

6. derb

derb

Thanks, the rubber would help, but I'm not sure I'm disciplined enough to drive around nicely enough to have them just laying there, I don't want them bouncing off the tailgate and bed sides.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Never a good idea to drive around with unsecured load. You should have tiedowns around the edges of the bed, makes it a piece of cake to put a strap or two over any load. (Okay, someone is probably going to say they don't like the look. Then don't put any f***ing load in there, loose items kills people.)

40FORDPU and Hnstray like this.
  8. My idea is similar to Boyd Wylie's. Just get a cheap carpet remnant. Or instead of paying big money for a fancy, custom bag, take an old blanket, fold it in half and sew the sides like a big pita pocket. If you can find something that looks old fashioned, even better.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're swimming in money, go to an upholstery shop and get something custom made. Otherwise, just get one of those giant sport travel cargo bags that college athletes use to travel to away-games and carry their gear. The ones I've seen on the airport luggage carousels are plenty big enough for two folding chairs and a good sized cooler.

10. Cree

Cree
    from Montana

bedbox.jpg
    I use a compact pickup utility box on rubber feet and held in with turnbuckles. It locks and holds chairs, cooler, and jackets or, for those excuse-to-drive-your-rod errands carries groceries, parts, lawnmower gas can, etc. Plus it keeps a non-skid pad and tie-downs handy for bigger cargo. It comes right out if you want.

11. Vanness

Vanness

Guys., c-mon. They are trucks..the cooler with the beer stays in the cab close to the driver of course.

270ci, Hollywood-East, blowby and 2 others like this.
  12. Joe H

Joe H

I bought this at a swap meet, works for holding all kinds of stuff. I used the bolt holes already in the bed strips to mount it so no extra holes were needed.

Attached Files:

nochop and jim snow like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,

Your Ford Pickup is pretty nice. That bed is outstanding. Somehow, you will have to find some folding, tie down brackets for the bed. When my 65 El Camino was new, I needed to transport a cooler, chairs and a couple of Greeves 250cc racing bikes. The idea was that the bed was going to get scratched at some point, but tie down hooks and brackets were the order of the day. One of my mom’s, old, thick bedspreads was used on the floor surface for the cooler and chairs. The bike area was left bare metal of the El Camino painted floor.

upload_2018-2-10_6-18-51.png upload_2018-2-10_6-19-11.png
    A couple of these flat brackets painted black would be less noticeable, but very effective in conjunction with nylon tie down straps. (http://www.strapworks.com has the best prices for every available tie down situation. Their prices are so low, that it is impossible not to buy something. We had several chromed sets spaced all around the inside of the El Camino bed wall. If you truck will not allow surface mounts, you might want to use somewhere on the floor for anchor points.

But, the tie downs were a necessity to keep everything from moving while driving or turning down those bumpy desert roads. Early nylon aircraft tie downs with hooks made things easy. The early spring buckles made adjusting easy and simple. That cooler and chairs were not going to move while driving. When we got to the desert, the thick bedspread was used as an extra comforter over our sleeping bags for warmth. 100 degrees in the day and freezing at night, that is the life in the desert.
    upload_2018-2-10_6-14-36.png 1965-74

Jnaki

Since the motorcycles had rubber tires, the El Camino floor stayed, relatively clean and scratch free until sold in 1974. The bedspread and nylon tie down straps/buckles were the items that kept everything from shifting while driving. They were a necessity. I even used the straps and bed tie down hooks to keep my surfboard from sliding all over during those long drives to the So Cal beaches and Baja secret surf spots.

Your wooden floor is pristine and can be kept that way, but tie down straps keep things from not moving. We had several sets of nylon straps for absolutely no movement back in the El Camino bed. Recently, we have purchased some other tie down straps and buckles from Strapworks.com. The variety of straps, buckles, etc. will drive you cuckoo. But, in a good way.

Attached Files:

14. low down A

low down A

just sit em on your DO NOT TOUCH signs

15. squirrel

squirrel

I knew there was a reason I refinished the bed of my truck in the original black paint, instead of varnish and polish :)

Poh and Blues4U like this.
  16. get a rhino liner sprayed in it. :p:D

I got a few of these to throw down on the cold floor to lay on.
    They are nice, super light weight and would work well in your request.
    A few cut to size and your whole bed would be protected.
    Magnets would hold it, and a 6yr old kid could take them out While you set up the chairs and gold chain.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-61241.html
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Reminds me of the time I had a really nice late model truck (lowered, black, really nice) and had a flathead block 'secured' in the bed. Had to panic stop and it came 'unsecured' and slammed into the back of the cab. Had to pay for that upholstery cleaning...

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I usually pull a trailer. :D

Attached Files:

Chili Phil likes this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

DSCN0042.JPG Here's what I use. Scratchproof and no reaching for beer.

Slow down and low down A like this.
  20. My 36 Chevy has an old potters trunk like Joe H's truck has. It's great for stowing tool box, extra parts and other things you need for road tripping. As for a place to sit, that's why trucks have tail gates isnt it?. My bed floor is a sheet of finished plywood and painted bed stips, nothing fancy, its a truck that was rebuilt to be used. Mitch.

21. If I was doing an old truck with a finished bed, I'm not but if I was,,,
    I'd make a double side wall bed with 1/2" space for sure!

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Sorry man, I can't relate, I use my pickup bed for what it was intended. It's a truck, use it.

21558775_459743111091736_3156407991118135956_n.jpg

Vanness, 270ci, partsdawg and 3 others like this.
  23. Haha, you'd have been blistered for this, on the old HAMB. Talk about first world problems...

24. HAAA! Miss the old HAMB and the old members

Maybe we can talk @Ryan into a traditional HaMB original weekends

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You drink a lot of water :cool:

26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I used a piece of cord, To hold my rusty beat up non Kool brand kooler, Never lost it, even leaving the gate open... Nice truck by the way!

Blues4U likes this.
  27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Phil!!!!!!!!! Lippy:cool:

Chili Phil likes this.
  28. If you use the truck it's going get a scratch or two,if your always worry about it you won't enjoy doing anywhere. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]