Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2018 Jalopyrama: Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 5, 2018.

1. In the words of Dandy Don:

lothiandon1940 and catdad49 like this.
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

In Oklahoma, if you aren't tied in with horses or livestock, you take a back seat. Car events are just a nuisance.

3. I am with BODYMANMP ......move it to Hagerstown!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  4. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I also heard they canceled the car show and raceorama at the big E
    in Springfield Ma.at the end of March?
    They said : safety concerns? another lame excuse!

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It sure seems that virtually every type of public event - by no means limited to car shows - that used to go swimmingly has simply devolved into a bunch of nicklefuckers setting up a bunch of excess fees, bureacratic hoops, and general BS to jump through. The raison d'tre was to provide suitable venues at little to no cost for community events. It's a win for everybody.

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HellsHotRods...

Ya took the words right out of my mouth ! When I read your Post, Ryan...and the letter you received...my memories flashedback to what Jerry Weesner, John D'Agostino, Steve Stanford, and many others told me at the time Paso hit Penny with that situation. It hurt everyone connected with it, especially since she & Rich had invested so much hard work and time there. Well, the WCK was welcomed with open arms by all concerned in Santa Maria and hasn't looked back since !

Jalopyrama will find a new & bigger home, rise again...AND BE BETTER THAN EVER !
    Oh, btw: Ryan, there's not a car in any of those above pictures that I wouldn't love in my garage !!

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

lothiandon1940 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  7. ...............................Thanks for the positive words of support, Jonnie.

8. This is speculation. Lived in Westminster, MD most of my life before ''jumping the line'' to PA. Smith ave is the paved county road desired for the events. It's lined with houses that overlook the Ag center/farm museum. It's possible the neighbors complained and the AG people caved in. This is only a guess. One thing I can tell you is that on the fourth of July, those folks are trapped! But the Jalopyrama had no crowds of that volume.
    On the Friday cruise, we all took Smith ave. No one was any less than civil. But when the show ended Saturday, we were made to leave on the potholed, gravel road pictured.
    Regardless, thank you again Mike, Wayne and all the hardworking men and ladies who made 2017's show an event to remember.

9. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

These officials forget about all the good these
    clubs and shows do for the community ?
    Many donate thousands of dollars each year!
    Never mine, bringing many people in from out of state, spending money
    at hotels and restaurants!

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

This is insanely unfortunate. One of the best shows I've ever been to. Period. I've been going for the past 5 years and was finally able to bring my car with me just this past year. I guess I can say now that I feel truly grateful that I was able to bring my car this past year and finally display it amongst fellow Hamb'ers and locals at this incredible show. I'm sure they'll be back better than ever in another year or so. Ryan, thanks for sharing my photos once again. I'm so glad I was able to snag some great photos at what is most likely the last show at that location.

11. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Your coupe was one of the highlights of the show, couldn’t agree more.

12. .........................................So true!

HelmuthBrothers and Dino 64 like this.
  13. oj

oj

Are they still having the AACA event at the AG center?

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. .............................Yes.

Dino 64 likes this.
  15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

16. oj

oj

That will be a good oppertunity for those that attend the AACA to voice thier disappointment to the AG Management at loosing JalopyRama. Nothing disrespectful, certanly nothing to cast unfavorable light on the AACA's good fortune at being there but just enough to let management know that we, individuals, are disappointed. It doesn't take much when you can look them in the eye.

catdad49, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

I was kinda heartbroken when I saw the announcement and oj's idea is certainly a great one. Now, I have never been to Jalopyrama, but last year I was surprised by a pm sent to me by Bowtie Coupe (Wayne). In it he explained all about the show and all the good things that come from it. Then he told me that he had seen the picture of my coupe and wanted me to send in more pics/info for possible inclusion for the show. To Me, that was an honor, even though I explained that I would definitely have to change a few things in order to fit their criteria. Once again he encouraged me that when those changes occurred, please feel free to submit the info. I think he went above and beyond in this manner and if this is any indication of the other people involved in this show, it's a shame that it is cancelled (at least for this year). Hope to hear good things about Jalopyrama in the future, Carp

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yes it is an indication of all the great people involved. Thanks again to the Rusty Nuts gang and everyone else that made it happen. Hope they can find a new home.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. I'm sure it will be back. Don't count 'em out.

Just Gary, Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. ................................Wayne is a good guy and dedicated, lifelong hot-rodder.

21. when i made the 6 hr drive to the show Wayne and the rest of the rusty nuts went out of their way to not only make us feel at home but also shuttle my wife and i around. the whole club worked hard to put on the event and it showed. one of the best shows i have attended. plan was to head down again this year.
    maybe we could get some of the rusty nuts up here for the whitewallarama. :):cool: IMG_0175.JPG

22. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

Ocean City convention center would be big enough I think

23. ......................With all due respect, there's been a lot of push back recently by the Ocean City Town Council as well as residents in regards to the two major car shows that already take place there. The early one in May has become a total fiasco with accidents, injuries and hundreds of tickets doled out. There's talk of ending it altogether or at the very least somehow limiting the numbers and for sure eliminating the "boardwalk cruise" thing and the show at the Inlet parking lot. The later event (October, closer to the time that the Jalopyrama usually takes place) isn't quite as crazy as it's not as big. All that said, I don't really think that the folks in O.C. would be too happy about the possibility of yet another car event coming to town.

24. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

25. Jumpmaster91

Jumpmaster91

This is very unfortunate news for this year, not only for the people that enjoy the cars and a well run, traditional style, car show, but for the business communities and the charities that use the donations to help those with a need. I was lucky enough to have Mike Szuba invite my us (my Willys and I) to participate in Jalopyrama #1. While stationed in the Ft Meade/DC area, I was able to attend a number of subsequent events. I always had a very enjoyable experience with the people and the outstanding selection of showcased cars.
    Hopefully, the venue council will either reconsider their conditions or another, better, venue will become available for this worthy event.

26. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I’d second that one , don’t know if They’ve ever done a car show there

27. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

This event was truly one of the best Laura and I have ever attended its sad to see this happening. Mike, Jay and all the Rusty Nuts put so much effort into the show. Certain powers to be a the AG center were making it extremely hard to hold a quality event ending the show at that location was a good call we all hope maybe one day a location can be found that appreciates what its all about and how it can benefit the local community.

28. back up for continued reflection.

lothianwilly71, Just Gary and Dino 64 like this.
  29. I'm not buying it. We were told the same thing when the show was at the National Guard in Annapolis and Baltimore