Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How can I turn over 283 by hand?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, Feb 8, 2018.

1. LOL I know where my plate is, I saw it just the other day. I slotted mine because I thought it would make it universal. :)

The snout tool I have had since the '70s, thought I lost it and found it in my Ol' Man's tool box. I think I gave 7 bucks for it from the Snap On truck. Mine is black.

2. Easier if you pull the plugs.

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

much easier.ARP bolt head looks like this.put a power bar on it and there may be no need to pull the plugs[​IMG]

4. My 355 is 11.5:1 I never pull the plugs when adjusting the valves and most of the time I just used a 1/2" ratchet. But I am a tough old codger. LOL

5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

283's can be turned by hand, or with plugs loose can use the fan belt. If car is complete, and your in park / neutral...get a starter button, and you can bump it while you find TDC etc. Safety first.

6. clem

clem

Done this many times, but when I am in a hurry, I just put sockets over the bolts and use a pry bar, - carefully !

7. footbrake

footbrake

Wow, Does this newbie really need 35 replies to learn how to turn over a 283, not like he's trying to turn over a Steve Schmitt 840 0r 950. Sorry but I just think it's silly

nunattax likes this.