Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Shifter collecting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lytles Garage, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Check the Hydro group again. We can account for more than 6! 10, possibly 11 currently accounted for.

1Nimrod, j-jock and loudbang like this.
  2. mutant55

mutant55

Speedy has done a good job putting together a list of all of the owners and serial numbers of the Hydro Gate Shifters we know of, we have pictures of all of them too! Lots of mystery about these shifters, and they are neat units!

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  3. Thanks! I need to update the list as I have the name of the owner of one more since I last posted.

4. mutant55

mutant55

More Speedy? What are we up to now??

5. Still 11, but one of the 'unknowns' I now have a name and serial number for.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. cavman

cavman

Here is one I have had for several years. Not very complex, and for a 3 speed Auto. No markings of any kind.
    20160711_115801.jpg 20160711_115729.jpg 20160711_115705.jpg 20160711_115729.jpg 20160711_115705.jpg

1Nimrod, Xtrom and loudbang like this.
  7. mutant55

mutant55

Cavman, looks a lot like an Ansen posi shift to me, I have one for a hydro that utilizes the same detent holes, and has the same handle and knob, very similar construction. I will take a picture of it and post it here. Mine came to me nos in the box so I know mine is an Ansen for sure.

8. cavman

cavman

Thanks. What is in my picture is all I have. What, if anything am I missing?
    I got this and one of the Ansen select shifters for a 3 speed, from a neighbor.

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. I'll agree with Greg on this one. Here's my NOS Ansen Posi Shift for a Hydro transmission. You can see how similar the bracketry and 'base' of the shifter arm is.
    I've been planning to drill a few holes in mine, as yours has the detents for different gears. Mine currently does not.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod, loudbang and cavman like this.
  10. You're missing the shift rod that connects the transmission to the shifter body. It will either be straight, or bent to contour to the transmission, and one end will attach to the hole on the bottom of the shifter arm. See pictures of mine above for reference.

1Nimrod, loudbang and cavman like this.
  11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Would this thread be an appropriate place to ask for an estimated value on an Ansen shifter I plan to sell?

19 complete setup.jpg

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^You're probably going to be deluged with e-mails on that^^^^^. LOT of guys looking for one of those old Selector transmission shifters. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Sounds good to me, I will be looking to sell in a few weeks. I wouldn't mind taking offers. It's a working complete setup, linkage rods and bracket are homemade -- I have the original bracket to include, but it's modified to the point of being hopelessly mangled.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not a collector but I have this one.

20160708_102456.jpg 20160708_103538.jpg

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Prices can be a bit all over. Supply and demand. I bought a NOS Drag Fast still in the original box shifter for a selector shift for $120. I bought another NOS Drag Fast (not in the original box) for $80. I've got two FoxCraft shifters for selector shift transmissions, one was free, the other came with a transmission. I sold one for $100. I bought a NOS Ansen shifter for a Hydro for $200 because I needed it...
    Ansen's are generally worth a little more. I think if you get $150 for yours, you've done very well considering the original brackets are buggered.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

OK that's good to know. I know a Foxcraft went on eBay for $600, so I was hoping for about half that. Ultimately it's worth what someone offers me.

17. :eek::eek::eek:
    $600?!? I might just have to sell my other one if that's the going price. Maybe I'm out of touch with current prices. All those numbers I gave you above were from purchases/sales about 4 years ago.

18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Like you said, "going price" can be a moving target --- with anything in this hobby, more so with the rare stuff.

1Nimrod, loudbang and Speedy Canuck like this.
  19. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rat Fink, that Ansen you have is in amazing condition. Looks better then a brand new one I installed on a 55 Buick. Its got to be one of a kind. I wouldn't sell it for less then $600. If someone doesn't like your price, tell them to try and find one elsewhere.

Gary

loudbang and Skankin' Rat Fink like this.
  20. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I've been looking for a Vertical Gate shifter for awhile. Everybody who has them likes them too bad they don't still make them.

21. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg Cool Ansen Posi shift with bronze mounting bracket studebaker lark Daytona

1Nimrod, Xtrom, Speedy Canuck and 3 others like this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm giving my roadster a facelift and a heart transplant. The poor little 283 Chevy is out and the 345" Olds and B&M 4 spd Hydro are in.
    I picked up this old shifter a few years back with the idea that I would modify it to shift the old Hydro. So now I need to make it work. I tried to show the detents in the photos thinking someone may recognize it and know what it was originally intended for. It looks similar to a C1 Corvette PG shifter.
    Also, what is the shift pattern of the Olds slant pan hydro?
    Looking at the early B&M plate it goes R-1-2-3-4-N. With a stock hydro are 1st and 2nd one position, (Lo)?
    And isn't Park hiding in there somewhere too? It's been 50 years since I ran one and I've forgotten a bunch. I've got a great looking handle I will be grafting onto the shifter - it has a long slow curve back over the seat, just like the one I had in my '47 coupe years ago.
    Shiftr (5).JPG Shiftr (1).JPG Shiftr (2).JPG

23. No Park position on a slant pan hydro. If I recall correctly (haven't had my coffee yet this morning) Lo is 1-2 on a stock transmission. B&M installed a lockout piece that would keep the transmission in 1st, however, most racers started in 2nd, let the transmission make the 1-2 shift on its own and then manually shifted from there.

Lots of great info on the Hydro Tech forum. (You have to join to see it all).

24. CGkidd

CGkidd

I am looking for someone who either has parts for a hydro-gate they would sell or someone could give me dimensions. I need the arm that bolts to the transmission selector shaft, the linkage shaft and the piece the shaft connects to on the shifter. All parts for a slant pan.
    Eric

Sent from my E6910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I will look tomorrow at mine and get you some pics and measurements

1Nimrod, loudbang and CGkidd like this.
  26. CGkidd

CGkidd

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

28. In 1961, I had a vertical gate shifter in my Buick powered 47, and for the life of me, I can't remember the Brand name of the shifter. Does anyone know the brand names of the v gate shifters offered back then? I was guessing that it was an Ansen.
    I have 5 Hurst Comp + 4 speed shifters, (one of them brand new),a Hurst Dual pattern 3 spd, and a couple of no name shifters that I wouldn't use to lift a toilette lid in an outhouse. Three of the 4 spd shifters are made for bolt on stick, and the other two have the welded stick.
    I also have a Star shifter, and a couple of stock automatic shifters, one from a mustang and one from a Camero.
    I never made a point of trying to collect them, but they just stuck to me.
    Bob

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope "PhotoBucket" went bankrupt!

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Here is some pics of the linkage rod I finally got to the storage building to dig it out but didn’t have a tape measure to get measurements I’ll try to get some rest n the next day or so sorry for the delay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]