Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1923 t bucket mid 60s built show car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Movinman, Feb 2, 2018.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Great car. I wouldn't change a thing.

EVL401 and cactus1 like this.
  2. Rand Man

Rand Man

I don’t like to go negative, but those lights would be better on a house than a hot rod.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I'd proudly hang on mine.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, Snap! Those carriage lamps look suspiciously like the ones Herman Munster chose for 'sinister design'!

Leave 'em. (to heaven...)

5. I like the car, I'd Grabowski it, ditch the side lights, blower, wheels and tires, add 4 2's, steel wheels and whitewalls 32 Grill shell and you'd be there. Sell the blower and the new paint is paid for.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. Squablow

Squablow

To change anything would be a shame in my opinion, being it's survived intact all these years. There were plenty of historic cars rebuilt in the 80's where owners decided to ditch that lame flathead and drop a 350 in there with a Camaro subframe and a tilt column because that's what was cool then, and ruined otherwise beautiful survivor cars. Making changes to this one would be no different.

The only things I can notice different about the car between it's magazine coverage and the current pics is the wheels looked like they were mirror polished and the alternator pulley/fan was chrome instead of painted. Those things could be restored if desired.

Otherwise, I'd hate to see a real survivor hotrod doctored up to conform more to current trends and tastes.

Okie Pete, EVL401, Paul and 8 others like this.
  7. Movinman

Movinman

Agreed, Squablow. The car will remain in its original paint with all original accessories. If Hotroddrivein wanted a copy of the Kookie T, they are out there to be found and purchased. The idea of changing it has never crosses the nw owners mind. He believes in tradition, which is why he is a H.A.M.B. member to begin with.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Good to hear that. My cousin, bought a '37 Ford coupe from it's original builder, back in 1987. It had nice tuck and roll interior, and a 265 from a '55 Chevy in it. The guy put it together in the winter of 1957-58. It needed a good cleaning, and the lower panel under the trunk lid needed repaired. He jacked it up, removed the axles, engine and trans, and went full speed ahead with a 350/35, MII, and a tweed interior. I could have cried.

Movinman likes this.
  9. brad2v

brad2v

This could be the dumbest fuckin thing I've read in a while...

10. Squablow

Squablow

Great to hear. It definitely went to the right owner/caretaker.

cactus1 likes this.
  11. I sure am glad someone got this that appreciates it for what it is!

verno30 and Squablow like this.
  12. Cactus1 this thing for sure has ties to your Kansas. i know its recognizable if anyone knew it back then, its the same today, and they would know it for sure..

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is extra cool... lets see some shots of the dash and interior.:):)

14. Movinman

Movinman

Found this on youtube. Anyone familiar with the Lago Vista Rod Run from the late 60's?

Go to about 2 minutes 5 seconds in.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. I am not but that was neat! Plus, it sure looks like @Tweety's Resurrection is on that run!

kidcampbell71, brad2v and Sancho like this.
  16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

The lights are hideous, but absolutely perfect on it. Love that sweeping frame too.
    Its rare I agree to just leave it as is, but I see it. Looks like it was really well built and a lot of attention to detail at the time.

EVL401, wvenfield, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  17. good to hear it will remain a piece of history and not get changed

That thing is so cool....

18. guy1unico

guy1unico

I love that hot rod T just like it is. Dont listen to all these turkeys that could care less about history.
    The lanterns are very consistent with the time is was built and you know history repeats itself.

EVL401, brad2v, cactus1 and 1 other person like this.
  19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that thing's a time machine. those lights were popular. a lot of guys had 'em on the back for tail lights. steering column that came out of the floor was standard; was supposed to help eliminate bump steer. keep it like it is!

EVL401, brad2v and cactus1 like this.
  20. the lights are the soul of that car!

EVL401, wvenfield and cactus1 like this.
  21. Movinman

Movinman

We have been able to speak to a few people who knew about the car, including a HAMB member who's dad was great friends with the original owner of the T.

Dave (Hotroddrivein) has that information, so I will leave it to him to post the updates.

cactus1 likes this.
  22. Pretty trick throttle setup.. 2 gears, in aluminum housing with plexi on the cragar blower..

FADT_T_BUCKET_SHOWCAR_ISCA_TBUCKET_MODELT_CRAGAR_BLOWER_MAGNESIUM_M22_GASSER_438.jpg

4speed white ball w/ original white wheel / perl knobs/ stewart warner green line gauges to boot.

FABT_T_BUCKET_SHOWCAR_ISCA_MODEL_T_CRAGAR_BLOWER_STEWART_GAUGES_M22_55.jpg FABT_T_BUCKET_SHOWCAR_ISCA_MODEL_T_CRAGAR_BLOWER_STEWART_GAUGES_949.jpg

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guys had a small version of coach lights on their T Buckets. NOT full size porch lights.

Chili Phil, 49ratfink and lake_harley like this.
  24. Rand Man

Rand Man

Do we have photos of the original 1965 version the “Casual T” ? What I see here is the later 1960’s “Mint Julip” . I love the stance of this rod and enjoyed the video. I’m all for historical preservation. It might be interesting to verify the changes made by the second owner.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Movinman

Movinman

Fred, remember, this was over the top 60's show rod stuff. I don't think anyone is arguing the car isn't a bit ridiculous, but I think that is what makes it so cool.

26. Movinman

Movinman

Rand Man, We are hoping to find someone with those pictures.

28. So an update on this video of the Rod Run.

Harry Arrington owner of Mint Julep at that time is the second gentleman to receive a Trophy in the beginning of the video. Along with the gentleman who owned the white 4 door... That explaines why most of the footage was on those 2 cars...

29. lake_harley

lake_harley

No doubt there are a LOT of really neat things about the car. The one thing that seems to be getting the most flack is the "porch" lanterns. Unless the car is going on tour as a "survivor" show car, or in a museum as a "time capsule" display, I'd say loose the lanterns. I graduated from high school in 1970 and I wouldn't think of wearing some of the cloths now that would have been considered "cool" back then. If the owner has thick skin and can take the idea of people snickering behind his back when they see the lanterns, then he should do what he wants with the car. If he's planning on driving the car some and wants people to appreciate the car for the quality build that it is, take the lanterns off, put them in a BIG box and store them away for the next caretaker of the car to have the option of going back to the '60s. I think they would have been a bit gaudy even back them.

As far as something being so sacred just because of it's age and what it was when it was built, how could any of the "leave it as-is" voters ever justify building a hot rod out of anything? Ford Motor Company never built a Model A as a "post-war hot rod" as far as I know.

Lynn

One more thing.......was the car a big success on the show circuit back in the day, or has that kind of history on the car been uncovered yet.?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018